My cats hate Fancy Feast since they changed the recipes...

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Purina went a head and changed all their formulas to remove dyes and artificial preservatives and now I have 3 boys that are mostly unhappy with their meal time. One will thankfully still eat most of the varieties he can (he is allergic to chicken) but the other two have basically been snubbing multiple meals a day and wasting a lot of food. They started changing over to the new formulas 2 years ago but now the older ones are completely out of circulation, I can't find them anywhere. The older ones have the heart on the can, the newer ones have the circle.

I have looked into trying other brands similar to these like Chewy's Tiny Tiger but they HATE it. I like to feed a higher protein diet without much filler and none of those vegetable "grain free" foods. Even if I did get those on a regular basis, they don't like those either.

I feed the two without allergies a rotation of 7 flavors. They split one 3oz can 4 times a day so they each get 6 ounces of food per day. I don't feed dry on a regular basis, I only use it as a topper if they get too picky. This doesn't always work however. Both are not fans of fish so I seldom add that into the rotation, maybe once every few months (I buy in bulk). They also only like pate varieties.

They don't like Purina One, I had considered switching them to the high protein line but they outright refuse it and my least picky of the 3 won't even eat that food anymore. I bought a case of the beef and ended up donating most of it. I don't want to buy Friskies because I read that is some of the lowest quality wet food you can feed a cat. Same with 9 Lives. They don't like Sheba. All the more expensive brands have peas and crap in them that cats shouldn't be eating and they won't touch anyways. I really don't want to spend more than $1 per can either. IAMS only had chicken pate, then only other options are fish which these two don't like.

I am not sure what to do at this point with these two.

Has anyone else noticed their cats suddenly hating Fancy Feast after years of using it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is off and on with FF (she, too, only eats pates), but I can't really say that it has anything to do with the dyes and preservatives being removed, since she will still eat them. Her deal is with eating the same thing over and over, so I rotate her foods so that she doesn't eat the same thing in any given week.

Feeby eats Wellness Core, Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Arcana, and Orijen. (She does eat a few Purina One items too.) She does not like fish, but will occasionally eat one if it is mixed with a non-fish protein.

I try to stay away from all the extraneous stuff in cat food as well. However, there are a few of the above that either have cranberries or pumpkin in them, but apparently not enough to turn her off to them. All of them have some sort of gum in them, but not any carrageenan. Wellness Core has a bit more different stuff in it, but they are being used to address various minerals/vitamins.

I can't say how many of these are under $1 for a 3 oz can though. Since you are feeding more than one cat, you could get the 5.5 oz cans and bring the cost down a bit. All of the ones I mentioned above do come in both sizes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina changed all the recipes following their longitudinal study. Everything is closer to the recipe they tested now. Unfortunately that means some cats won't eat the new recipes 😞

The recipe they tested was the Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus 7+ which comes in salmon and turkey. I do have good luck feeding that one to my boys. There's no reason for it to be sr only.

We also have luck with the purina chicken and rice, salmon and rice, chicken and liver kitten, and urinary. We do Iams Perfect Portions as well. The get things substituted with Wureva. I tried many other things but it ended up being wasteful. Beyond has also been a hit.

I did have trouble the occasional time that I've tried Fancy Feast with them. I haven't bothered with Fancy Feast again.

Prices will be area dependant so I can't comment on that. I just watch for sales.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here know of any toppers? Maybe something that can add a bit more flavor to the ones they don't seem to like anymore?

Too bad they didn't know how to make a safe/healthy MSG for picky pets. lol

SUEWHO76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Purina went a head and changed all their formulas to remove dyes and artificial preservatives and now I have 3 boys that are mostly unhappy with their meal time. One will thankfully still eat most of the varieties he can (he is allergic to chicken) but the other two have basically been snubbing multiple meals a day and wasting a lot of food. They started changing over to the new formulas 2 years ago but now the older ones are completely out of circulation, I can't find them anywhere. The older ones have the heart on the can, the newer ones have the circle.

I have looked into trying other brands similar to these like Chewy's Tiny Tiger but they HATE it. I like to feed a higher protein diet without much filler and none of those vegetable "grain free" foods. Even if I did get those on a regular basis, they don't like those either.

I feed the two without allergies a rotation of 7 flavors. They split one 3oz can 4 times a day so they each get 6 ounces of food per day. I don't feed dry on a regular basis, I only use it as a topper if they get too picky. This doesn't always work however. Both are not fans of fish so I seldom add that into the rotation, maybe once every few months (I buy in bulk). They also only like pate varieties.

They don't like Purina One, I had considered switching them to the high protein line but they outright refuse it and my least picky of the 3 won't even eat that food anymore. I bought a case of the beef and ended up donating most of it. I don't want to buy Friskies because I read that is some of the lowest quality wet food you can feed a cat. Same with 9 Lives. They don't like Sheba. All the more expensive brands have peas and crap in them that cats shouldn't be eating and they won't touch anyways. I really don't want to spend more than $1 per can either. IAMS only had chicken pate, then only other options are fish which these two don't like.

I am not sure what to do at this point with these two.

Has anyone else noticed their cats suddenly hating Fancy Feast after years of using it?
Yes, we too have been trying to find replacements for fancy feast medleys. I have tried numerous brands, and types of food with no permanent solution. I intermittently try to sneak in one of the cans from the cases of refused food but no, one sniff and off she goes. Thankfully, she eats Blue dry food as well. Since I could not offer up any alternatives, I wanted you to know that your boys were not the only ones snubbing the altered FF recipes. Good luck and post any new finds you might come across as will I.