My cats getting fat

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every since her spay there has been an increase in weight gain, I did buy her one of those 3 cup feeders last year so maybe that's the cause of weight gain I have to refill it every two weeks or so. She's always been a scrawny thing around 5 pounds now she's a good 10 pounds at the most. I'm not sure if a weight gain is normal for a Siamese after a spay. Other than that nothing's changed in her mood. I ha e noticed she sits in just one spot more often but no cries of random pain.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
10lbs is about right for an adult Siamese, 5lbs sounds a little under weight to me.

When was she spayed?
What kind of food is she on?
Could you post a picture of her, looking down at her from above while she is standing would be helpful. We could let you know if she seems very overweight.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She looks fine to me. As a general rule cats maintain a healthy weight better on canned food than they do on dry, but I don't think 10lbs is excessively over weight. Just keep a note of what she weighs so you're aware of any sudden increases or decreases, which could indicate a health problem.

She won't have reached her full adult size until she was 18 months to 2 years old, so if you're comparing her weight at 5 years old to what she weighed at 1 year old some weight gain is to be expected.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can adjust the feeder to do smaller portions it could help. 10 lbs isn't crazy but make sure you can still see a bit of waist when you look at her from above. Since she isn't purebred, she'll never have a true Siamese body type. Keep her active too. New toys and games!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe a better pic bit chubby myself lol. Anyway got a bit side tracked earlier, she's fed Purina hairball control approved by the vet

Purina Cat Chow Hairball, Healthy Weight, Indoor, Natural Dry Cat Food, Naturals Indoor - 13 lb. Bag Amazon.com

Screenshot_20231022_231348_Gallery.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally found the look-down-from-above test to be the most helpful when evaluating whether my cat was overweight.

He's always been borderline, a little on the verge of overweight, like what a vet would classify as mildly overweight. He's at normal weight now, but he may have started losing a bit of weight due to having cancer, which he was recently diagnosed with.

This is one of the many visual charts that you can find online. I have used this one before, personally.

ICatCare_obesity.jpg

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that is a good weight. My cat is almost 16 and 12 pounds. He was around 14 when younger. Every single cat I have had had ended up very skinny in old age, so I tend to keep them a bit over. Not too much to get weight related diseases.He never liked snacks until 3 months ago and ate less than the others but was always bigger. Some are just like people. His sister and litter mate, died from IBD on Good Friday of this year. when healthy she was around 11 pounds, but at the end closing in on 3 and 1/2.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that is a good weight. My cat is almost 16 and 12 pounds. He was around 14 when younger. Every single cat I have had had ended up very skinny in old age, so I tend to keep them a bit over. Not too much to get weight related diseases.He never liked snacks until 3 months ago and ate less than the others but was always bigger. Some are just like people. His sister and litter mate, died from IBD on Good Friday of this year. when healthy she was around 11 pounds, but at the end closing in on 3 and 1/2.
It's so weird seeing cats grow, they start to catch on she doesn't even get afraid of the toilet flushing anymore just sits and stares even lays in the cat bad she's never used before. Still doesn't like water though.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K Kennethkeen

Because each cat has a different height, length and muscle mass weight is not a good indicator of obesity.

10 lbs for a small cat can be obese but 10lbs for a large cat can be severely underweight.

This chart tells you how to check and provides a visual.
Screenshot_20231023-133114-178.png

It never hurts for your cat to have their dry food allotment provided via movement! I'd suggest considering food puzzles or "hide and seek kibbles" when you are home.

Also just make sure you're playing with her for at least 15 to 20 minutes per day! Something to get her running around, though you may have to build up to that.

Niclovesblueforever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so weird seeing cats grow, they start to catch on she doesn't even get afraid of the toilet flushing anymore just sits and stares even lays in the cat bad she's never used before. Still doesn't like water though.
this is tmi, but my 16 year old Russian Blue who just passed , loved the bathroom. He somehow would hear me walking to the one down stairs and come running down. I would then have to cradle him like a baby while in there, or he would bite my ankles. He would just purr and purr.