My cats do not like me/ behaviour changed

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone👋

I have three cats- one older female and two younger males. My boys had developed skin problems and rashes a while back, which turned out to be secondary bacterial infections from an earlier flea bite allergy and I have been giving them antibiotics, lotions and stuff. Mostly though they are on the Elizabeth collar and its driving them nuts. They meow very sadly when wearing them and later when I give them dry food they dont eat it unless ofcourse someone else like my mother gives it to them. They wont refuse wet food though but they to don't Iike if i put down their plates as if being wary of me. Lastly they used to sleep beside me at night but now they have stopped and are super afraid of me. How do I make them like me again? I'm afraid I wil have to medicate them one week and I'm the only one who can do it. Does it happen to you too? Will they behave normally like they used to like is this behaviour going to be temporary? Or are they going to be angry with me 😭
P.s. my boys have become very affectionate of each other though throughout this process and I'm loving it since one of them was rescued and adopted only this year!

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Cats don’t fully understand what you are doing for their health and safety. It’s normal btw.

I have an epileptic cat which is on medication since last year and let me tell you something, at some point they’ll tolerate medication.

The fact that somedays your cats will want to avoid you especially when you give them antibiotics it’s not a weird thing. They don’t like you to medicate them, but they DO like you for sure.

Just as humans, cats can go through rough patches
 Also depending on where your cats have the rashes you could think about switching the elizabeth collar to a cat body if that can help that situation a little bit.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They will adjust. Cats just do not hold grudges...or...not over something like that. It takes serious abuse for them to entirely turn on someone that they love. Right now, they're basically pouting. Kinda like a small child stamping its feet, and saying, "I won't be your friend anymore," but they forget quickly and are right back in the middle of things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind replies!
They are getting somewhat used to the medicines (but will run away first for sure) and I'm hoping they will return back to normal quickly. It's okay for them to not play for a couple days right?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe has to have monthly B12 injections and get her chin acne cleaned every other day. She recognises what’s coming and disappears under the bed if she’s quick enough. She doesn’t hold any grudges about them.

Daisy has to have a Cisapride capsule and a dose of Osmolax twice daily. First time she was given a pill, at the vet, she put up a hell of a fight, enough so the vet ended up injecting her instead. When I started giving Osmolax I gave it by syringe, and she put up resistance to that, too. Now, while she doesn’t like having her pills and will spit them out if possible, she doesn’t fight at all - I give them to her while we’re both in bed in the morning. She’s decided she likes the Osmolax and drinks it from the mixing spoon.

The one thing they both really hate is their flea treatment!

But they don’t do more than give me stinkeyes afterward.

This isn’t “I do this so well,” it’s that they get used to treatment.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phoebe has to have monthly B12 injections and get her chin acne cleaned every other day. She recognises what’s coming and disappears under the bed if she’s quick enough. She doesn’t hold any grudges about them.

Daisy has to have a Cisapride capsule and a dose of Osmolax twice daily. First time she was given a pill, at the vet, she put up a hell of a fight, enough so the vet ended up injecting her instead. When I started giving Osmolax I gave it by syringe, and she put up resistance to that, too. Now, while she doesn’t like having her pills and will spit them out if possible, she doesn’t fight at all - I give them to her while we’re both in bed in the morning. She’s decided she likes the Osmolax and drinks it from the mixing spoon.

The one thing they both really hate is their flea treatment!

But they don’t do more than give me stinkeyes afterward.

This isn’t “I do this so well,” it’s that they get used to treatment.
If you’re struggling with pills I would suggest you to try these kind of treats that are like playdoh. Pretty expensive but efficient.
C20C4D52-5820-4C96-B20E-A1BAA1131576.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re struggling with pills I would suggest you to try these kind of treats that are like playdoh. Pretty expensive but efficient.View attachment 436004
Thanks, but no, that was my point (which I evidently didn’t make too well, lol) - Daisy is far easier to pill now than when she started this four months ago. I just poke the capsule into her throat. If my aim is off she’ll spit it out, but she doesn’t put up a fight at all.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your kind replies!
They are getting somewhat used to the medicines (but will run away first for sure) and I'm hoping they will return back to normal quickly. It's okay for them to not play for a couple days right?
Quite ok, and fairly normal. Now, if it extends to several days, you'll want to check with your vet and ask if it is normal for that amount of time.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone👋

I have three cats- one older female and two younger males. My boys had developed skin problems and rashes a while back, which turned out to be secondary bacterial infections from an earlier flea bite allergy and I have been giving them antibiotics, lotions and stuff. Mostly though they are on the Elizabeth collar and its driving them nuts. They meow very sadly when wearing them and later when I give them dry food they dont eat it unless ofcourse someone else like my mother gives it to them. They wont refuse wet food though but they to don't Iike if i put down their plates as if being wary of me. Lastly they used to sleep beside me at night but now they have stopped and are super afraid of me. How do I make them like me again? I'm afraid I wil have to medicate them one week and I'm the only one who can do it. Does it happen to you too? Will they behave normally like they used to like is this behaviour going to be temporary? Or are they going to be angry with me 😭
P.s. my boys have become very affectionate of each other though throughout this process and I'm loving it since one of them was rescued and adopted only this year!
I use churu tubes or tiki sticks. Put her on the counter,tilt her head back dip it in churu or tiki stick to hel it easily go in.quickly close her mouth,and wait for her to swallow and give her more!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i cut up pills and give liquid medicines mixed in a little bit of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. they have NEVER not taken bits of pills and liquids given this way. Much easier. I have never used a cone on any of my cats either and I have had many, not one had something bad happen.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but no, that was my point (which I evidently didn’t make too well, lol) - Daisy is far easier to pill now than when she started this four months ago. I just poke the capsule into her throat. If my aim is off she’ll spit it out, but she doesn’t put up a fight at all.
I do that to my cat as well, lemme explain.
Personally, I think pills are too small and what i do is to put the pill on the soft treat so that if spit out I can see where’s the pill.
I also poke the pill into the throat bc my cat highly tolerates it.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that to my cat as well, lemme explain.
Personally, I think pills are too small and what i do is to put the pill on the soft treat so that if spit out I can see where’s the pill.
I also poke the pill into the throat bc my cat highly tolerates it.
I’ve never tried treats (I don’t know if pill pockets are even sold here). Daisy’s Cisapride capsules are made small specifically so they can be poked down the throat more easily - her vet said the contents are bitter, so don’t let her chew them.