My Cat's Behaviour Might Have Changed

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am very new and this is my first message in the forum.
I hope you won't think I'm mad, but I have been quite sad for a couple of days and I need to know other cat parents' thoughts.
I have a 7-month old female cat, my little Ella, who is my world, I love her to bits and my fiancé and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She is the most affectionate cat and she usually spends her evenings curled in my lap while we are on the sofa watching tv.
However, we spayed her on Friday, she was mostly asleep on me all day on Saturday but, since Sunday evening, she will only curl on my fiancé's lap and won't sit on me anymore. You might think I am overreacting but our evening cuddles together were what I was looking forward to the most during the day. Now I wonder how it is possible that this changed literally overnight, and if it might be due to him being warmer and "softer" than me... and I wonder if she will ever come back to cuddle on me... Thanks to anyone who can help even a little bit! Gaia

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Full recovery is 7-10 days. Stuff is gonna hurt on day 2! It is a little surprising she is on *anyone's lap*. Maybe you were trying to hard to be snuggly and you actually hurt her a tiny bit (remember cats are tough and often don't show pain), but in general I think you are over thinking it. Just be happy she is doing well and be gentler than normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Full recovery is 7-10 days. Stuff is gonna hurt on day 2! It is a little surprising she is on *anyone's lap*. Maybe you were trying to hard to be snuggly and you actually hurt her a tiny bit (remember cats are tough and often don't show pain), but in general I think you are over thinking it. Just be happy she is doing well and be gentler than normal.
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I am sure I am overthinking it, however it feels like her preference has shifted from me to him, because she has spent all Saturday afternoon sleeping on me. I don't know, I'm afraid somehow she will be less affectionate to me... I know I am overthinking, but I am really sad about it...

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally get it. But she has enough love to share with the both of you. It's better than she likes both of you otherwise a lot of issues might come at home (believe me). Plus you love her right? Do you really believe that the cat you love might stop loving you that quickly? Trust her she still loves you ;)

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally get it. But she has enough love to share with the both of you. It's better than she likes both of you otherwise a lot of issues might come at home (believe me). Plus you love her right? Do you really believe that the cat you love might stop loving you that quickly? Trust her she still loves you ;)
Thank you :) it's just that I love her so much and I miss snuggling with her... I hope things will get back to normal quickly

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally get it, we are the same. I love my cat and if she is distant with me I overthink that she will never be back. But it's not fair to her. Loving her is first giving her the freedom to do what she wants and secondly trusting her that her love is not that shallow. Cats don't stop loving you like that only humans do.

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, really. The best thing for me is to hear that someone else understands how I feel, even though I am overthinking it. I know it is my problem, not hers. But I miss her. Thanks for your help!