My cats are terrified of my father.

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today i woke up a little later than usual since school let out for break, and all 3 of my cats were outside my door so i let them sit in my bed (i assume they were cold since it gets very cold around 8-10am.) and my father, the self proclaimed expert at training animals, barges in and beats my cats with a hanger, my amazing girl, dorie, hid under my bed, then he came in and stole her from me. Their ages range from, 4-5 months, possible 6 monther.. He hit the youngest, smallest, and the one with the worst anxiety the hardest and most, and he practically terrified them into not eating their food. I give them affection, i gave them treats so that they know that when they're good, they get rewarded, i feed them, i give them water multiple times a day, i clean their box more throughly then anyone else in my family. They're kittens and I genuinely just want them to feel safe and loved in this house, weve been making progress for a month and now he turns around does this. what do i do, how do i make them feel safe again?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I may regret asking this question but why in the world would your father beat the kittens with a hanger especially if he thinks he's an expert at training animals? Obviously your room is their safe place and I would ask him not to come into it since the kittens are most likely traumatized by his actions. 😱

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg that's terrible. The kittens are right to be afraid of your father.

You sound very young. If you don't feel safe at home, please reach out for help to a teacher or trusted adult. I'm not sure there's a way to help the kittens feel safe if your father is around and is going to be volatile. At the very least, your room would have to be a safe space for them and he would have to never come in.

If you're not able to have another living situation, it might be best to rehome the kittens somewhere where they will be safe, as hard as it would be to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm 14 years old, and lately, he's been cleaning up his act when it comes to this family since he's more bark than bite, (somehow his 4'9 14 year old daughter can put the fear of god in him??), My mother talked to him and I'm making sure that he isn't around them when me or my mother are not around anymore, cause when my mother found out about this, she was furious.
How old are you, Lilo Monroe Lilo Monroe ?

It sounds to me like your father is abusive. How does he treat you? Your brothers and sisters? Your mother?

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg that's terrible. The kittens are right to be afraid of your father.

You sound very young. If you don't feel safe at home, please reach out for help to a teacher or trusted adult. I'm not sure there's a way to help the kittens feel safe if your father is around and is going to be volatile. At the very least, your room would have to be a safe space for them and he would have to never come in.

If you're not able to have another living situation, it might be best to rehome the kittens somewhere where they will be safe, as hard as it would be to do.
My mother had a talk with him and we all decided it was probably best to leave the discipline up to the people who they listen to most, me and my mother, we both understand not to hit them, we've actually invested in some spray to keep them off furniture, and I made sure to hug them, feed them, and calm them down after this ordeal. Thank you for your concern by the way, luckily my father is a all talk kinda man, so he'll usually back down when someone is able to reach his level of tone.

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't make them feel safe if they aren't safe. Does he do this kind of thing often?
This was the first time he did this with a hanger, but My mother will make sure this never happens again and I, personally, will make sure he never raises a hand again.

Lilo Monroe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may regret asking this question but why in the world would your father beat the kittens with a hanger especially if he thinks he's an expert at training animals? Obviously your room is their safe place and I would ask him not to come into it since the kittens are most likely traumatized by his actions. 😱
My father is from a small town in Jamaica, his own father was an immigrant from India, so he was brought up during a time where.. words were not the way and fists were the only answer. My father is often confused at his own words, i will be honest, he gets no excuses however, I think he's still confused about the fact that we don't usually hit animals here, baby steps with him, very slow, baby steps.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for explaining the situation and giving some background information about your father. Fortunately your mom and you will watch over the kittens to make sure this never happens again. You sound very mature for being 14 years old and I'm glad you want the kittens to feel safe and secure. Hopefully your love and compassion for them will set a good example for your father to follow. :heartshape:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilo Monroe Lilo Monroe if you ever need anyone to talk to or someone to listen, feel free to pm me. Thank you for taking care of these kittens. You sound like a wonderful owner to them. :hugs:
:yeah: You can also PM me if you need to talk.

Its so ironic that i love these little cat emojis.
I think we all do; we certainly use them often enough. My favorites are: :catman:, :catrub:, and :catlove:.

Margret

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes patents learn a lot from their children and it sounds like you are teaching your father. That’s wonderful. Many cultures are different and I am so glad you have great tenderness and love for your sweet kitties. Protecting the innocent is a wonderful thing and you have my great admiration for being a great guardian to the kitties. Kitty guardians are kitty heros. You are a hero to them and to us. If you ever need us, we are here for you. :clapcat::happycat::lovecat3:😽😺

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart skipped a beat or two upon reading your very first post above. Humans can be abusive in two ways: Physically and verbally. I am so glad that despite this environment you have managed to become a compassionate young individual who cares for these cats. And I pray that you continue to be this amazing human being until you grow into adulthood.

I am also glad that your mother is there for you to help you through.

I hope this "beating" by your Dad does not happen again. Otherwise, your cats may not feel safe in your home no matter what assurance you give them.

Again, I am glad that you have turned out to be a compassionate animal-loving individual. You are one of a kind.