My Cats Are Not Thankful

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because they are desperately afraid of my mom...who uses a walker. My two year old was at the glass door like 8 times...we would open it, he would look around, see my mom and sit back down rather than come in. Finally I scooped him and put him in the basement with food...shoulda done that in the first place...just forgot he hated her.

She doesn't wash so good anymore, so perhaps he is triggered by her smell at this point...not like she is constantly walking around.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't feel hate like we do, but they do fear the unknown and any change in their lives. The walker your mom uses is a threat to them. It would take a long time to get used to it. Don't force them into anything they don't like. The older generation often has a dislike/disinterest in domestic animals, your cat may sense this, or was even scared by the sound of the walker or bumped by it. If your mother spoke quietly to them and offered treats they would come around more quickly, but only she can convince them she is not a threat. Cats DO get used to such things, there are many homeowners that use walkers and have cats and get along fine. It just takes time, many months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is only here on holidays due to distance and doesn't have any interest in the cats, so the dislike is permanent. I just need to try and remember and put the cats, or at least the 2 year old, in the basement...basement is finished and they like it there, so it is much better than them self-trapping themselves outside. I normally think its a little funny, but was just kind of sad today with the 2 year old checking so often to see if she was gone. He is indoor/outdoor, but I guess he was hungry because he kept hoping she was gone and kept coming to the glass door again and again to see, but not being willing to come in once he saw her.