My cat yowls and becomes very distressed when left by himself

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having a problem with my cat Baxter. He yowls and cries when I leave him by himself. He will yowl for a long time like he is in pain, like.. deep crying yowls.. he's super affectionate, but he's also super clingy and hates being alone. He also gets intimidated by my other cats when I feed them. He will not eat with them or anywhere near them. He gets along fine with them, but I have to put him in a kennel with his food or he wont eat it regardless of what I try to feed him. If I let him out the kennel too soon and get around the other cats he will get hyperactive and vomit everywhere. He also will not eat if he's all by himself. I have to be in the same room. If I feed him and let him out too early and go to my office, he will come to my office and scratch at the door yowling and then vomit outside the door..

What is wrong with him?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only a vet can tell you for sure, but it sounds very much like he is suffering from anxiety. It is not uncommon. There are prescription medications available that, once the right med and right dosage is found, may well change his life.

One thing that you might try until you can get an appointment is chamomile tea. Buy plain, unblended chamomile tea bags from the grocery store. You want the commercial tea because it is the German variety. The English variety, which grows in most gardens, is useless medicinally, and can be toxic to cats. SO...take a tea bag, and brew a cup of tea. Chill it in the fridge, and administer from one to three teaspoonfuls, up to three times a day. You can use either a needle-less syringe or a medicine dropper. It is naturally, gently calming without being sedating. I've used it both internally for anxiety and externally for all manner of "skin ouchies" on humans, cats, dogs, horses, and a sheep and cow or two.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Separation anxiety is really common in cats. He sounds like he really needs some help to boost confidence.

I'd also check out resources for bored cats as both bored and anxious cats need good enrichment.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I've 2 with this issue. For the most part, it gets better over the years. One of them is in my lap this second.
Mine never threw up though over it. Just cry and get really anxious.
Instead of drugs (all with side effects), may I suggest cbd tincture for cats? I use it for several cats for different reasons. But my first was a girl with Cancer, to help with the inflammation, vomiting, nausea, & appetite. After a week on cbd oil twice a day? Not only was I able to take her forever off her steroids (though she still remained on chemo to keep it at bay), but I discovered she had been suffering from anxiety all along. I never knew! She had a fancy set up in the laundry room and rarely came out to socialize. I thought it was because she was 16 and I had 2 younger cats she didn't want to be bothered by. But nope! After a week on cbd, she not only came out every single day to be with the rest of us in the living room, but it also helped her arthritis too. She had never jumped in the couch before using this.
It really did great things for her.
IF your cat isn't allergic to fish, a really good choice is Lazarus Naturals salmon flavored. That's what she used.
Good luck!