My Cat Went Missing Almost For Like 11 Days Now And Im Worried Sick .

Alliek19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's the deal my cat got out once before when he tore through the window screen but came back in like an hour . My mom hadnt been able to replace the screen yet so she opened the window and my cat jumped out some time later .. and this time he did not come back . What worries me is i heard what sounded like a very quick fight ... im talking hissing but when i ran out two seconds later my cat was not there I live in an apartment complex so i asked a majority of my neighbors if they saw him and people in surrounding neighborhoods ... but no one has seen him . I thought i saw him for a second but that mght have been a fox im not sure ... i couldnt get a good look because it ran into the woods. And my mom felt so bad about it she got me a new kitten ... and hes adorable but i dont want to forget about tigger just like that . I love tigger . And my heartis crushed into pieces . Im considering at this point in making posters and hanging them up ... even though my mom says it probably wont help .. i dont just wanna sit back and do nothing! So i guess what im asking is ... is there a chance my cat still might return ? I leave food by the window for him but...still nothing . My heart is shattered into pieces and im losing sleep over this and i burst out crying randomly over him .

Deppie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is missing too!! For about three days!She is half wild and half domestic!So she is out most of the day! I sterilized her about eleven days ago and I had to keep her inside my house for a few days... She asked me a lot of times to let her out but I couldn't because she was still vulnerable! So when she got better, I let her outside, she left and she still hasn't come back! I don't know what to do either but, I think we should both let food outside of our house and some of their toys and keep calling them to come back!

Deppie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
your cat will possibly return!!Your cat is a male one and usually male cats get into fights and get lost chasing female cats! If he come back ( which I believe so!!) you have to sterilize him so you minimize the possibility of losing him again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alliek19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
your cat will possibly return!!Your cat is a male one and usually male cats get into fights and get lost chasing female cats! If he come back ( which I believe so!!) you have to sterilize him so you minimize the possibility of losing him again!
Im not entirely sure what sterilize means but ill do whatever it takes to keep him safe if he comes back because i am so heartbroken.

Alliek19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is missing too!! For about three days!She is half wild and half domestic!So she is out most of the day! I sterilized her about eleven days ago and I had to keep her inside my house for a few days... She asked me a lot of times to let her out but I couldn't because she was still vulnerable! So when she got better, I let her outside, she left and she still hasn't come back! I don't know what to do either but, I think we should both let food outside of our house and some of their toys and keep calling them to come back!
My cat has never really played with toys but i will be sure to do the food things. I hope your cat returns to you as well .

Deppie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for saying that! Sterilize means that if he comes back you should get him to a vet and have a small surgery ! He will stay there one night and you will take him back next day! This surgery will stop your cat having hormones and prevent him from mating with other cats! Search it in google translate if you want!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep the posters out. My boy got out through an open window and he was missing for over a week. I thought id never see him again, but someone saw him hiding under a bush all lethargic and called me cause they saw the poster. If i gave up hope and didnt put up posters, he probably wouldve died there.

Poor guy was sitting in a loaf and mewing faintly when i got him out.

I also told all the neighbours and nearby shop staff to keep an eye out for him.

Last edited:

Deppie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion! If she still doesn't come back I will put the posters!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please put them out asap.

Make sure the picture is really big and the description is easy to understand.

Alliek19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please put them out asap.

Make sure the picture is really big and the description is easy to understand.
Thank u im going to start making the posters tonight and they will be up by tomorrow at the latest .

Deppie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay as soon as my cat doesn't return I will put out posters with a big clear photo of her!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lost/missing cats, please look at this website: www.catsinthebag.org
It contains a lot of very good information on how to get your cat back home.

Simply waiting for your cat to find his own way home isn't a good plan - you'll need to help him.

For an indoor-only cat, like Tigger, you need to buy or borrow a humane trap ASAP. You're going to use it to try to catch your cat. A humane trap will not hurt him. It's easy to learn how to use it. You can probably borrow one from your local shelter or rescue organization. You'll put the trap in the area you last saw your cat. Most important when using a humane trap - never leave it unattended when it's set to trap. You absolutely MUST monitor the trap when it's in the set position.

Indoor-only cats become disoriented and very frightened when they suddenly find themselves outside. The good news is that in most cases, your cat will be nearby but will be hiding. Even though they may recognize your voice, they'll rarely come to you if you call them. Still, you should let your cat know that he's in the right place by continuing to call for him. Leave several dishes of food and water near your house as well as further away into your backyard. Check the dishes each day, clean them, refill and continue to put them outside. If you have used litter from your cat, sprinkle that around as well, putting it several yards from your house, as well as close to the house. These things let your cat know he's in the right place and will help keep him there.

Get the trap as quickly as you can - it will be the best tool you can use to get Tigger home. Until then, put up posters ASAP asking people to let you know if they've seen him, and where. Call local shelters to see if anyone may have brought your cat there. Let neighbors know he's still missing. Some police departments keep lists of lost/found cats & dogs. Find out if your local police do that.

Cats can go missing for weeks, even months. Do not give up!!! Make sure to use a trap (or 2 if you can get another), keep the posters up where it's easy for people to see them (put some in supermarkets, pet supply stores, etc.) And remember to check the website above for more tips and strategies to get your kitty back home.

Alliek19, I understand your heartbreak over Tigger. And yes, you're right, the new kitten is precious, but he cannot replace Tigger.
Your mom meant well and is trying to distract you from your sadness. So love the new kitty, but please do continue to help Tigger get back home with the advice given here. And make sure to replace that window screen with one that's sturdy. Best of luck to you & Tigger!

PS - If Tigger wasn't neutered (a simple surgery to make sure he can't make kittens with a female cat; female cats can be spayed so they don't have kittens) please make sure to have him neutered once he's home, as well as your new kitten, when he/she is old enough, usually around 6 months old. Spaying/neutering is good for your cat's health, helps keep them close to home, and prevents unwanted kittens from coming into a world where there are already too many cats who are homeless/in shelters.

Alliek19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For lost/missing cats, please look at this website: www.catsinthebag.org
It contains a lot of very good information on how to get your cat back home.

Simply waiting for your cat to find his own way home isn't a good plan - you'll need to help him.

For an indoor-only cat, like Tigger, you need to buy or borrow a humane trap ASAP. You're going to use it to try to catch your cat. A humane trap will not hurt him. It's easy to learn how to use it. You can probably borrow one from your local shelter or rescue organization. You'll put the trap in the area you last saw your cat. Most important when using a humane trap - never leave it unattended when it's set to trap. You absolutely MUST monitor the trap when it's in the set position.

Indoor-only cats become disoriented and very frightened when they suddenly find themselves outside. The good news is that in most cases, your cat will be nearby but will be hiding. Even though they may recognize your voice, they'll rarely come to you if you call them. Still, you should let your cat know that he's in the right place by continuing to call for him. Leave several dishes of food and water near your house as well as further away into your backyard. Check the dishes each day, clean them, refill and continue to put them outside. If you have used litter from your cat, sprinkle that around as well, putting it several yards from your house, as well as close to the house. These things let your cat know he's in the right place and will help keep him there.

Get the trap as quickly as you can - it will be the best tool you can use to get Tigger home. Until then, put up posters ASAP asking people to let you know if they've seen him, and where. Call local shelters to see if anyone may have brought your cat there. Let neighbors know he's still missing. Some police departments keep lists of lost/found cats & dogs. Find out if your local police do that.

Cats can go missing for weeks, even months. Do not give up!!! Make sure to use a trap (or 2 if you can get another), keep the posters up where it's easy for people to see them (put some in supermarkets, pet supply stores, etc.) And remember to check the website above for more tips and strategies to get your kitty back home.

Alliek19, I understand your heartbreak over Tigger. And yes, you're right, the new kitten is precious, but he cannot replace Tigger.
Your mom meant well and is trying to distract you from your sadness. So love the new kitty, but please do continue to help Tigger get back home with the advice given here. And make sure to replace that window screen with one that's sturdy. Best of luck to you & Tigger!

PS - If Tigger wasn't neutered (a simple surgery to make sure he can't make kittens with a female cat; female cats can be spayed so they don't have kittens) please make sure to have him neutered once he's home, as well as your new kitten, when he/she is old enough, usually around 6 months old. Spaying/neutering is good for your cat's health, helps keep them close to home, and prevents unwanted kittens from coming into a world where there are already too many cats who are homeless/in shelters.
I really apppreciate you taking the time to write this all out for me ... its very kinds . Tigger is not neutered but we were saving to get him neutered and we are gonna the new cat neutured as well .. The whole thing is my mom is being VERY difficult ... she doesnt want me to make posters and basically wont help me make them because she says if tigger came back , he would try to kill the new kitty , and id have to choose between them which she knows icant handle or would ever be able to do ( while being a good point i think is harsh ) and she says people wont pay attention to the posters anyways , i feel like she wants whats best for me in the end because i get so emotional but it tears my heart apart that tigger is missing . The new kitty is using the litterbox now so i dont have that but i can definitly try leaving food outside my apartment and see if that does any good . My chest literally feels actual pain when i think of tigger like im about to have a heart attack ... and i burst into tears ... sometimes it feels like im dying ... i have such a reaction that my mom doesnt believe its only about tigger that is bothering me ... but it is . Ive never been in a situation like this ... and honeslty i cant handle it ... its so much stress and worry and guilt that its eating me alive . I see tigger out the corner of my eyes ... i hear him but i look outside and hes not there ... i dream about him ... im actually going insane

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really apppreciate you taking the time to write this all out for me ... its very kinds . Tigger is not neutered but we were saving to get him neutered and we are gonna the new cat neutured as well .. The whole thing is my mom is being VERY difficult ... she doesnt want me to make posters and basically wont help me make them because she says if tigger came back , he would try to kill the new kitty , and id have to choose between them which she knows icant handle or would ever be able to do ( while being a good point i think is harsh ) and she says people wont pay attention to the posters anyways , i feel like she wants whats best for me in the end because i get so emotional but it tears my heart apart that tigger is missing . The new kitty is using the litterbox now so i dont have that but i can definitly try leaving food outside my apartment and see if that does any good . My chest literally feels actual pain when i think of tigger like im about to have a heart attack ... and i burst into tears ... sometimes it feels like im dying ... i have such a reaction that my mom doesnt believe its only about tigger that is bothering me ... but it is . Ive never been in a situation like this ... and honeslty i cant handle it ... its so much stress and worry and guilt that its eating me alive . I see tigger out the corner of my eyes ... i hear him but i look outside and hes not there ... i dream about him ... im actually going insane
Alliek19, I'm very sorry for how sad and upset you are about Tigger. I would feel the same as you if Tigger were my cat.

It's very doubtful that if Tigger comes back he "would try to kill the new kitty". That would be an extreme and unlikely reaction. No one can predict how 2 cats will react to each other. That's why when a person gets another cat as a friend for the cat she already has, there are specific ways to go about introducing them to each other. You should not immediately put cats together who don't know each other anyway - no matter if they're male, female, young or old. All cats should be introduced gradually. If you do that, there is no need to choose between Tigger and the new kitten.

Some cats love their new friend right away - for others, it takes time. Even cats who don't necessarily like other cats can learn to tolerate the presence of a new cat in the house. It takes a little patience and understanding how to help them. There's lots of info on this site about that very situation. Many, if not most of the CatSite members have multiple cats and have lots of experience with the introduction process- Tigger might very well enjoy having a little feline friend!

I commend you for not wanting to give up on Tigger. Not only do you truly love him, you have a deep sense of responsibility for him. That's very, very important when you bring any animal into your home.

Can you make some signs/posters yourself? Even if they're done by hand, on notebook paper, that's ok. You can give a description of Tigger if you're unable to provide a picture. Handmade posters really stand out and people will notice them. Even if you put up signs and don't get any calls, it doesn't mean that people haven't looked at them. They just may not have seen Tigger, most likely because he is hiding. Remember to remind neighbors he's still missing - ask them to please be watchful and tell you if they catch sight of him.

It does sound like you'd need help getting a humane trap. That's what will give you the best chance of getting Tigger home. You might be able to get a rescue group to help you trap Tigger. You'd have to do a search for groups who are in your area. They are run by volunteers, so it could be a few days before they get back to you. If you explain your situation, they may bring you a humane trap and show you how to use it. If they do this, it would be nice to give them a donation, if you can. Don't worry if you can't. Most rescue groups will be very happy to try to help reunite you with your cat :)

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Speaking from personal experience, call vets and shelters in your city.. everywhere in your city! My sisters cat got lost for a month once and we finally found him 16km away!!! No idea why or how he got that far.