My cat us not as active as before

oreocat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
So my cat is a male and he is a year and a half years old.
I just noticed yesterday that he is not as active as before!! He sleeps more but eats as usual and when i try to play with him he plays but not as before.
Also when i pet him he stays in the same position even after i stop. Sleeps next to me and looks more affectionate.
Yesterday he jumped from a really high place so is it possible that he has hurt his leg or something??
Also it's getting like really really hot where i live so does this has something to do with his recent behaviour??
I keep him and my other cat in a room for a long time but it's provided with everything they need and want and i take them out of it regularly, is it possible that he is depressed or something??
Or do i need to take him to the vet even tho it's really hard for me to do so because it's really far it takes like 2 hours to get there, so is there something i can do to help him??

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 As an owner of a very lethargic Cat, I will tell you everything I know.

The first thing you need to do is to rule out any medical issue. Sometimes it is very hard for you to recognize when your Cat is in pain. This is mostly because Cats instinctively hide their pain. Cats are known for having a relatively high pain tolerance. Their natural instincts allow them to hide their pain, making them appear as less of "sitting duck" target to predators. It is important that you attempt to look for any signs of pain possible. 

If you have ruled out a medical issue, you may be correct in your second to last paragraph.
 I keep him and my other cat in a room for a long time but it's provided with everything they need and want and i take them out of it regularly, is it possible that he is depressed or something??
 It is very possible that he is feeling somewhat neglected. I know from my experiences with my Cat (anecdote time); he rarely ever enters the second bedroom in my apartment even when it's always available, but as I closed the door to that room, he would push the door and slap the doorknob trying to open it. Cats may not necessarily like the space they are provided, but in some cases, they just don't enjoy being blocked off from any area of the space provided. That is mostly due to the fact that Cats like to be independent in many of their activities and generally do not enjoy when their free will is obstructed. Does the area have access to a windowsill? Cats enjoy looking outside and watching other animals around them. My Kitten is 2 months old, I provided him with an area I wanted him to sleep in and stay in for the night, but when I put him in there, he would sit behind the door and meow like a broken recorder. My suggestion, if you are hell bent on having them in that room, put a chair in there and spend most of your time with them, in there. Also, if you want them to sleep in there, do not allow them to regularly sleep in another room for long periods of time. Do the two Cats you have play together a lot? Do they "wrestle" with each other? If you have two Cats in the same room that are generally "indifferent" about each other, it may not be a good idea to keep them in the same room together. While Cats do enjoy company sometimes, a lot of the time they will enjoy having hiding spots that they can be secluded in for long periods of time. In the said hiding spots, any activity around them may bother them. This may give your Cat high levels of stress and anxiety. How big is the room? Closet size? Bathroom size? Storage room size? Bedroom size? Because of the tendency of Cats to be extremely territorial, they prefer not having their litter boxes, food, or hiding places close to each other. They may come to terms with having another around them, but it still may give them a constant source of anxiety and stress. Were their any sudden changes to diet, litter, or activity in your place of residency prior to (before) the symptoms you discussed (lack of activeness in cat, lethargy) were apparent? Do you have a set playtime with him? Or do you just play with him whenever you're available? How often are you available? Does he purr loudly? Have you noticed dilation in his eyes lately? Does he meow more often or less often than usual lately? Has your Cat been urinating or defecating outside of the litter box lately? Have you noticed anything odd about the other Cats behavior?

Here is a quick recap of all the questions I have asked:

"Does the area have access to a windowsill?"

"Do the two Cats you have play together a lot?", "Do they 'wrestle' with each other?"

"How big is the room? Closet size? Bathroom size? Storage room size? Bedroom size?"

"Were their any sudden changes to diet, litter, or activity in your place of residency prior to (before) the symptoms you discussed (lack of activeness in cat, lethargy) were apparent?"

"Do you have a set playtime with him? Or do you just play with him whenever you're available? How often are you available?"

"Does he purr loudly?"

"Have you noticed dilation in his eyes lately?"

"Does he meow more often or less often than usual lately?"

"Has your Cat been urinating or defecating outside of the litter box lately?"

"Have you noticed anything odd about the other Cats behavior?"

All of the questions mentioned above may help to diagnose the problem, if I haven't already stated it. Don't worry yourself too much about it. There are plenty of different stimuli that can contribute to a change in your felines attitude. It is just a matter of narrowing it down. I hope I am not harassing you with all these questions.

P.S. Then again, it is also very possible that it is a temporary issue that will fix itself.

Hope it helps! Goodluck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for replying,
Yes, appearantly he has been feeling lonely and sad but he is starting to get better after i started spending time with him.
They have a big window and the cat tree is next to itso they can both climb and enjoy the nature and sunlight, as i said before, the room is filled with everything they need and want.
And it is bedroom size so i guessed it's good for both of them, and the other cat is not behaving in an odd way, actually she's been feeling really good since i spayed her 2 months ago.
Again, thank you very much you helped me a lot and i really appreciate it, i'm feeling less Anxious about it.