My cat refuses to eat wet food

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat has been on a wet food only urinary care diet since I adopted him, as he has a history of urinary issues.

However: he stopped eating his wet food!

He'll take a single bite and then try to "bury" the food. I've been leaving out Dr. Elsey's dry food so he has something to graze on, since he's not eating his wet food. Once he's licked his wet food, he won't eat it again so I have to throw out the whole bowl.

The vet says it's fine for him to have dry food, but I don't want his primary diet to be kibble!

Can anyone recommend a really good wet food? I really want him to like Tiki Cat but he just ate the broth and ignored the meat!

Any other wet food brands or even raw food brands I could try??

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For your cat there are other brands for Urinary care like Hills Urinary Care Wet Food, Purina Pro Plan and Royal Canin (but expensive). I feed my cats the regular type Purina One wet food as it is moisture rich and the meat is smaller which is perfect for one of my cats Barley who mostly prefers the broth or the sauce if the meat is too big for him.

Others here may be able to suggest more.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try mixing some wet and dry together. If he will eat the dry start with a spoonful of wet mixed in then gradually increase wet and decreased dry until you find an mix he will eat. Also if you are able to, feed small amounts each time, less to throw out if you have to.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best wet food is the one your cat will eat. There are probably a thousand wet foods available, some of them quite good and some not so much. It's really hard to recommend one for your cat because some cats are just so darned picky. I don't think there is ANY food out there that all cats love. (if there is, I sure haven't found it, and believe you me, I have looked :wink: )

Anyway, since your little one is prone to urinary issues, I would definitely look at the suggestions above, and also try to make sure he keeps plenty hydrated and as stress free as possible. Those two things seem to help the most. The article below talks about stress in cats:

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry to ask a bunch of questions, but it is kind of important to know the answers before coming up with some food solutions. What exactly are his urinary issues, e.g.; struvite crystals, oxalate stones, bladder inflammation, improper PH balance, and/or some/all of the above? What urinary care wet food was he eating?

There are dry urinary care foods that you could use - and, then supplement them with non-urinary care wet foods to help with added moisture.

Also, check the expiration date of the wet foods he is eating to make sure they haven't gone bad - and, it is also possible that you bought a 'bad batch'. So, again more information might help.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
most cats need more hydration so will your guy eat his kibble if you add some bland gravy or no sodium broth? My ferals love the water from Canned tuna or chicken ( for humans) but I add more water in case it has too much sodium. Anyway you can add more liquid to his daily intake will be good and you won’t feel weird about giving him just dry kibble. Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat has been on a wet food only urinary care diet since I adopted him, as he has a history of urinary issues.

However: he stopped eating his wet food!

He'll take a single bite and then try to "bury" the food. I've been leaving out Dr. Elsey's dry food so he has something to graze on, since he's not eating his wet food. Once he's licked his wet food, he won't eat it again so I have to throw out the whole bowl.

The vet says it's fine for him to have dry food, but I don't want his primary diet to be kibble!

Can anyone recommend a really good wet food? I really want him to like Tiki Cat but he just ate the broth and ignored the meat!

Any other wet food brands or even raw food brands I could try??
It's possible that he is tired of that food and wants something else. Or crush in some pure bites freeze dried treats. That is the only way my cat will eat. She wasn't like that til she turned 5. Has he tried rawz?