My Cat Peed The Bed. Help!

Sariedelo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there! I’m new to this site but so happy I finally came on because I have two cats, Nova and Bunny!

Recently bunny (male) have peed on our bed. This is a new behavior. He has never done this. We’ve had him for about a year now. When I adopted him he was 6 months- so he’s almost 2.

His pst weekend I noticed a wet spot on our bed and made sure the litter box entrance wasn’t blocked. This morning woke up to him scratching the bed and yet again another wet spot. Again the litter box was perfectly accessible and clean!!! Does anyone know what this means?!! His overall health is fine.

Thanks
Sariedelo

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Bunny is having litter box issues. He is neutered, right?

The first recommendation, especially with male cats, is to have a vet checkup to ensure he doesn't have an UTI. Then if there's nothing medically wrong, we start looking for other reason for his behaviour.

Here are links to a few TCS articles with more info:
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Also, ensure you use an enzyme cleaner to wash the bedding.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sariedelo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI rubysmama,

Yes, Bunny is neutered. I did make him an appt to see if he does have a uti. I do know males will lick a lot and try to use the litterbox more often when they have a uti. This isn't the case he seems perfectly fine. I am going to buy an enzyme cleaner today after work for sure!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it's something that can be easily cured with some antibiotics. Let us know what the vet says.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I've been unlucky, but I don't automatically assume UTI when a young cat has an accident, especially in the bed. The bed is *THE* place for "accidents" because they can kneed the covers and it seems like burying waste to them. So my recommendation is either keep the cat out of the bedroom for a bit, or at least put the covers away during the day and make the remainder of the bed firmly to make kneeding difficult. If you do that and there accidents elsewhere, that is when I start to suspect UTI. The other smart posters will probably note that you may miss accidents elsewhere, but if you have a blacklight or a sharp nose, and you do a walk around, you'll know. Not that there is any harm in a vet visit -- just make sure to follow my advice as to the bed as well, we don't want a habit to set in!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sariedelo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! There hasn't been any accidents anywhere else. We have shut the door so he cant's get in. Sad, but needs to happen. I don't think it's a uti, but still going to the vet just to be sure. I will keep you all updated :)