My cat neuter incision looks abnormal.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its a good idea to trim some hair around the wound if you can do so safely.
Pulling on anything would only cause more discomfort or damage so i would suggest not doing it.

Povidone iodine (betadine) and warm water should be enough to clean the wound. Calvamox (again, if your vet allows) is an antibiotic which would prevent infections and work much more effectively than the off label mupirocin.
Hi there. My cat licked off the scab. It doesn't seem to be infected, but i really don't know what to do as i can't go to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. My cat licked off the scab. It doesn't seem to be infected, but i really don't know what to do as i can't go to the vet
If your cat licked off the scab and re-exposed an open wound which is bleeding then this could be an issue.
The first thing to do here would be to make arrangements to prevent this from happening again.

In my case, i absolutely couldn’t find a collar that was right for my cat, i tried multiple collars but ended up having to DIY my own since it was an emergency and i needed something quickly. I cut one of the collars up, rounded off the corners and attached it to another one using a stapler to extend its length. It did the job. I don’t currently have it to show you but i doodled a little picture if it helps (pardon my drawing skills).
14296854-939E-4723-BF47-50788D203E62.jpeg

If you’re absolutely certain that its not infected the best you can do is to continue making sure that it stays clean and keep using povidone iodine (and warm water) + calvamox.

This is a slow process but you should see improvement within 4 to 7 days. In my case this took almost a month to fully heal.
In case the condition happens to worsen or smelly discharge appears, a vet visit would be your only choice because it might need to be professionally cleaned.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your cat licked off the scab and re-exposed an open wound which is bleeding then this could be an issue.
The first thing to do here would be to make arrangements to prevent this from happening again.

In my case, i absolutely couldn’t find a collar that was right for my cat, i tried multiple collars but ended up having to DIY my own since it was an emergency and i needed something quickly. I cut one of the collars up, rounded off the corners and attached it to another one using a stapler to extend its length. It did the job. I don’t currently have it to show you but i doodled a little picture if it helps (pardon my drawing skills).
View attachment 446524
If you’re absolutely certain that its not infected the best you can do is to continue making sure that it stays clean and keep using povidone iodine (and warm water) + calvamox.

This is a slow process but you should see improvement within 4 to 7 days. In my case this took almost a month to fully heal.
In case the condition happens to worsen or smelly discharge appears, a vet visit would be your only choice because it might need to be professionally cleaned.
Does skin grow around the flesh? Or do things regrow from under? Also I'm a minor and my parents refuse to take him to the vet.