My cat neuter incision looks abnormal.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hows it going everyone.
I rescued 4 kittens recently and they turned 4 months old about two weeks ago so i decided to start getting them neutered since two of them are males.
Its been 4 days since i got Ross, the first male kitten neutered and the incision looks a bit abnormal and there were a few drops of blood which i cleaned with a cotton ball and warm water.

I called the vet but he doesn’t seem to care much as he’s on vacation. Is this something that’s normal?
7F5E3C6E-16CC-447F-AEC4-00A2BA44FA84.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is this something that’s normal?
This one don't look too good. Can you try calling the vet's partner from the same clinic or send them this photo?

In the mean time, keep the surgical site as dry as possible and clean off any liter dust gently with a soft warm towel or cotton ball. Restrict his running around.

Also see if there are yellow pus and foul smelling pus coming from the surgical site. If yes, it means it is infected.

Keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This one don't look too good. Can you try calling the vet's partner from the same clinic or send them this photo?

In the mean time, keep the surgical site as dry as possible and clean off any liter dust gently with a soft warm towel or cotton ball. Restrict his running around.

Also see if there are yellow pus and foul smelling pus coming from the surgical site. If yes, it means it is infected.

Keep us updated.
So, they told me to clean it with povidone-iodine solution which i did.
Other that that they keep telling me its fine.
Veterinary care isn’t a strong suit for my country so not sure what else to do about this. Would love any suggestions.
Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if you can ensure that he doesn't lick at it, and keep cleaning it along with following tabbytoms advice above hopefully he'll be ok.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think if you can ensure that he doesn't lick at it, and keep cleaning it along with following tabbytoms advice above hopefully he'll be ok.
Trying my best. If you zoom into the picture there seems to be an internal suture sticking out from the incision. The vet called it PDS.
This is something thats very new to me because usually the incisions are left open.
Would that be something causing the issue?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So, they told me to clean it with povidone-iodine solution which i did.
Other that that they keep telling me its fine.
Veterinary care isn’t a strong suit for my country so not sure what else to do about this. Would love any suggestions.
This was my previous reply to another member asking about the incision area after neuter :- Is it infected??

'It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Just take good care and keep the site clean and dry and clean with the solution given by the vet.

there seems to be an internal suture sticking out from the incision. The vet called it PDS.
They did some suturing at the surgical site which the PDS will be absorbed (I guess same as dissolved). The above thread whose kitty went for neutering also have the same suturing.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was my previous reply to another member asking about the incision area after neuter :- Is it infected??

'It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Just take good care and keep the site clean and dry and clean with the solution given by the vet.

They did some suturing at the surgical site which the PDS will be absorbed (I guess same as dissolved). The above thread whose kitty went for neutering also have the same suturing.
Gives me a sigh of relief.
Been stressing to the brim looking at the incision opening back up.
Thankyou so much for the response!
I’ll keep this updated 😊

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The worst has happened since these last few days. It looks like the PDS (absorbing sutures) that the vet used somehow reacted with the kitten’s skin. It formed a black mass of dead skin which ended up falling off on its own.
Now the insides of the scrotal sac is visible.
The inside even looks like a testicle, which are supposed to be removed during the surgery so i am not sure what i am looking at.

The kitten isnt uncomfortable or acting any different. The vet that performed the surgery doesn’t seem to be bothered and keeps telling me to clean it and apply neosporin which i have been doing (since three dags before the skin fell off).

Not sure what else to do right now and would love some insight on this. I am hoping this isn’t his testicles we’re looking at which isnt even supposed to be there after neutring.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to say, in the photo his bum looks better. It's a nice healing pink color. Not sure about what fell off though.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to say, in the photo his bum looks better. It's a nice healing pink color. Not sure about what fell off though.
So, the outside skin of the scrotal sac which was supposed to heal and join together after surgery. It didn’t heal, instead it dried up and formed a dead mass as you can see in the picture below. That part eventually fell off and what you’re looking at above is the insides of his sac with no skin on top.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see. If they won't put one more stitch in to help the skin close together, hopefully that heals over in time.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, the outside skin of the scrotal sac which was supposed to heal and join together after surgery. It didn’t heal, instead it dried up and formed a dead mass as you can see in the picture below. That part eventually fell off and what you’re looking at above is the insides of his sac with no skin on top.
How is he doing now?

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is he doing now?
Hi! i just read your post and saw that you went through a similar situation.
I consulted this with a number of vets. The vet who performed the surgery used absorbent sutures called PDS to stitch it up.
While this isn’t something that’s abnormal, PDS comes in different thicknesses, the one used was too thick and it didn’t absorb properly.

After my cat managed to damage it weeks later, the blackened area that you see in the images above became narcotic and that part of the skin eventually died and fell off. That skin contained the un-absorbed suture material.

The vet prescribed a cream containing betamethasone valerate & neomycin twice a day + calvamox for one week. The incision eventually healed in due course after there was no PDS left to hinder the process.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is he doing now?
I also forgot to add in my previous response.
The reason for the prescription of the ointment was merely because in my case, the inside tissue was protruding out of the incision and it looked swollen. This is an ointment containing steroid which helps with swelling + neomycin is an antibiotic.

In usual cases minor damages heal on their own without the use of any topical ointments, it is however good practice to continue/start calvamox for upto 3 to 4 days to prevent any infections in case the wound is open (as stated by the vet i talked to).

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also forgot to add in my previous response.
The reason for the prescription of the ointment was merely because in my case, the inside tissue was protruding out of the incision and it looked swollen. This is an ointment containing steroid which helps with swelling + neomycin is an antibiotic.

In usual cases minor damages heal on their own without the use of any topical ointments, it is however good practice to continue/start calvamox for upto 3 to 4 days to prevent any infections in case the wound is open (as stated by the vet i talked to).
Are stitches necessary? My parents won't take my cat to the vet. My cat also has the area protruding, will it fall off also? Also im currently using taro mupirocin ointment on the area. Thank you so much

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are stitches necessary? My parents won't take my cat to the vet. My cat also has the area protruding, will it fall off also? Also im currently using taro mupirocin ointment on the area. Thank you so much
Stitches are absolutely not required/necessary. In fact its best to leave the incision open after surgery and let it heal on its own.
Minor open wounds don’t require stitches either and heal on their own.

Mupirocin is an antibiotic and does not have anti-inflammatory properties (i know this because i once had to had to use it).

The reason why the skin fell off in my case was because my cat bit it off and got it detached from the scrotal sac. Again, when we say “skin”, we are talking about the outside skin/incision that was supposed to join together, but instead it was bitten off and was mangled in suture material.

Once that happened new skin/tissue had to form over the top of the “insides” for everything to heal properly.

I would suggest to discontinue using the ointment and use DILUTE (not full strength) povidone iodine solution to clean the incision twice a day followed by warm water once a day (because povidone iodine can dry up and form weird crusty material around the wound which your cat will try to lick off) and continue/start calvamox if your vet allows you to.

Lily Scott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stitches are absolutely not required/necessary. In fact its best to leave the incision open after surgery and let it heal on its own.
Minor open wounds don’t require stitches either and heal on their own.

Mupirocin is an antibiotic and does not have anti-inflammatory properties (i know this because i once had to had to use it).

The reason why the skin fell off in my case was because my cat bit it off and got it detached from the scrotal sac. Again, when we say “skin”, we are talking about the outside skin/incision that was supposed to join together, but instead it was bitten off and was mangled in suture material.

Once that happened new skin/tissue had to form over the top of the “insides” for everything to heal properly.

I would suggest to discontinue using the ointment and use DILUTE (not full strength) povidone iodine solution to clean the incision twice a day followed by warm water once a day (because povidone iodine can dry up and form weird crusty material around the wound which your cat will try to lick off) and continue/start calvamox if your vet allows you to.
There's debris under the scab when I try to pull it out the scab starts cracking and breaking. I don't know what to do about think. Also Since taro mupirocin prevents infection, would I be okay with applying it and leaving it be like that? And i am a minor and my parents wont take my cat to the vet. So my options are very limited and I am trying everything 🙁

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's debris under the scab when I try to pull it out the scab starts cracking and breaking
The saline mentioned by tabbytom in your other thread might help soften things. Can you ask your mom or dad to take a closer look at it? However, as tabbytom mentions;
Any scabs will dry and harden and fall off eventually. Just be careful and touch the area gently and try not to remove anything as not fully dried and hardened scab coming off is painful for the cat and takes a longer time to heal.

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's debris under the scab when I try to pull it out the scab starts cracking and breaking. I don't know what to do about think. Also Since taro mupirocin prevents infection, would I be okay with applying it and leaving it be like that? And i am a minor and my parents wont take my cat to the vet. So my options are very limited and I am trying everything 🙁
Its a good idea to trim some hair around the wound if you can do so safely.
Pulling on anything would only cause more discomfort or damage so i would suggest not doing it.

Povidone iodine (betadine) and warm water should be enough to clean the wound. Calvamox (again, if your vet allows) is an antibiotic which would prevent infections and work much more effectively than the off label mupirocin.