My cat keeps pooping outside of his litter box but urinating in it

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. You should give Miralax daily until he begins to poo daily. Usually it's 1/4 tsp twice a day (fully dissolved in water before added to food), until they poo daily and then you move down to 1/4 tsp a day and then you can likely move to 1/4 every other day or 1/8 tsp daily.

It's perfectly safe long term. Even cats with other serious health issues can take it long term. It may cause some tummy bloating which is why I moved down to every other day to keep my cat more comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even if you put the new box down and no Miralax and he does poo, you won't know for sure. He could have litter box adversion from the pain and you put a new box down and he uses it. It doesn't mean he doesn't have a health issue causing it; it just means that you temporarily solve the adversion to the box.

Your vet noted that his glands were full. It's not likely a behavioural issue. Even with an incident in severe constipation, my cat didn't have full glands.

There's nothing wrong with tapering down the Miralax to every other day or similar, but he will continue to need it.

Miralax will continue to bring water to the poo. He could likely benefit from some extra fibre that pads the poo and helps express the glands.
The problem with taking him to the vet is most of them can't figure out what is wrong with him. Yes his glands were full but he also said only 1 in about 200 cats will have a problem with this, as most will not care that they are full - it sounded like he didn't really think that was the real issue - just grasping at straws because no solution had been found yet after 3 visits. Again one vet said he was constipated and I needed to change his diet, the other 2 disagreed and said the xrays did not show any signs he was blocked. They basically said he would do it any day and if he didnt by monday to bring him back in. Well as soon as I threw away the old box he pooped so I never went back.

I talked to a vet today while I was at work and she said that since it is not happening over a few days period and is happening every month and a half or so it sounds like a behavioral issue because if he was sick he would be doing it more than just one time and then stopping.

She also said her cat of 10 years old never had any issues before but one day he stopped pooping in his box. She said the only thing that fixed it was the light in the litter box room had to be off or he wouldnt use it. Made me start to wonder if thats the problem I am having. When I think about it - every time he has done it is was either when I wasn't home or when I was sleeping once he did it. One thing thats consistent in those two scenarios was the lights were off and the whole apartment was darkness. Maybe he just decided that he wont poop in the box when the lights are completely off?

Last edited:

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you going to be taking him to the vet?
I'm going to try a few more experiments before I decide to do that again. If they dont end up solving the issue then I will have no choice but to bring him back. I was planning on calling the vet that saw him regardless but they said he wont be in until Monday. He just gets so upset from the vet visits - he ends up pooping and throwing up everywhere due to how much it upsets him which makes it even harder to understand what is actually going on. Hes actually thrown up and pooped on my couch an equal amount of times just from seeing the vet as he has when he was quote unquote constipated.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that. Mingo is so frightened by the vet, he poops in his carrier every time I take him.

Have you tried leaving the lights off/on to see if that makes any difference?

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that. Mingo is so frightened by the vet, he poops in his carrier every time I take him.

Have you tried leaving the lights off/on to see if that makes any difference?
Thats one of the new things I was going to try, yes. Unfortunately it may take a month just to see if it is working or not.

My cat pooped in his carrier on the way to the vet and on the way back from. It was easy for them to get a fecal sample because of it though. Not only that but he screams like a banshee the entire time and people in the waiting room look and stare like I'm abusing him or something. Just a terrible experience overall that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mrpepper mrpepper Going outside the box is almost always pain related and very rarely is it ever behavioural. He's going on soft surface such as your couch which also screams pain related.

If there's a cat-only vet in your area it might be a better bet. I'm learning that a lot of all-aninal vets will right it off as a behavioral issues if they simply don't know what's going on.

Why I say it sounds like the glands issue is because of how spaced out the issue is. This is very similar to what my friend experienced. Around ever 2 months her cat would have issues. Now she gets hers expressed and it's no problem.

Nobel had a lazy bowl and it too, would mean pooing somewhere inconvenient like the carpet, but it was infrequent. Maybe once every 3 months or so he'd get backed up too much and then poo outside the box. The Miralax also fixed this up as he wouldn't get backed up and have a painful poo due to constipation. I did also get him a new litter box, and he preferred to poo there so he did have some adversion to pooing in his old box.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mrpepper mrpepper Going outside the box is almost always pain related and very rarely is it ever behavioural. He's going on soft surface such as your couch which also screams pain related.

If there's a cat-only vet in your area it might be a better bet. I'm learning that a lot of all-aninal vets will right it off as a behavioral issues if they simply don't know what's going on.

Why I say it sounds like the glands issue is because of how spaced out the issue is. This is very similar to what my friend experienced. Around ever 2 months her cat would have issues. Now she gets hers expressed and it's no problem.

Nobel had a lazy bowl and it too, would mean pooing somewhere inconvenient like the carpet, but it was infrequent. Maybe once every 3 months or so he'd get backed up too much and then poo outside the box. The Miralax also fixed this up as he wouldn't get backed up and have a painful poo due to constipation. I did also get him a new litter box, and he preferred to poo there so he did have some adversion to pooing in his old box.
I'm definately going to give the miralax another try but the reason I focus on other factors is the fact that when I gave it to him the first time it didnt seem to work when it was supposed to. I think it was supposed to kick in within 2 days but he went 7-8 days without pooping even with it being given twice daily. If I'm being honest it didnt seem to do anything but if its safe to give him all the time no harm in trying again.

I get what you're saying about the soft surfaces but then you could also say thats just where he happens to be when his body says this poop has to go now rather than he searches for it. Hes either gonna be on the blanket on the couch or on my bed, he rarely sits anywhere else. Theres also the fact that the last 2 times hes done it on the bed theres been puke accompanied by it which makes me think it wasn't purposeful. It almost like hes throwing up so violently that it makes him poop. Its happened two times in a row now so thats a pattern.

Last edited:

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet for something to help calm him so you can get him in to the vet.
I bought some spray that was supposed to calm him down and used it on him before the last vet visit. Unfortunately it had zero effect as he acted the same way he did the first time. He actually screamed so much the second time that foam started coming out of his mouth. I think the brand was Natures Miracle.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a tough time with your cat. Based on the information you've provided, it's difficult to say for sure whether your cat's behavior is due to constipation or a behavioral issue. However, here are a few things you could try:

1. Add more litter boxes: Even though your apartment is small, adding another litter box or two could be helpful. Sometimes cats prefer to urinate in one box and defecate in another, so having multiple options may help. Try placing them in different locations around your home to see if your cat has a preference.
  2. Use a different type of litter: Some cats are very particular about the type of litter they use. Try using a different brand or type of litter to see if your cat prefers it.
  3. Keep the litter boxes clean: Make sure you're scooping the litter boxes regularly and completely changing the litter at least once a week. Some cats are very sensitive to the cleanliness of their litter boxes.
  4. Provide more play and exercise opportunities: If your cat is constipated, lack of exercise and play can contribute to the problem. Try providing more opportunities for play and exercise, such as using interactive toys or taking your cat for short walks.
  5. Consult with a behaviorist: If the above steps don't help, consider consulting with a veterinary behaviorist. They can evaluate your cat's behavior and provide more targeted advice and solutions.
It's important to remember that cats often act out when they're stressed or unhappy. Given the recent changes in your cat's life, it's possible that he's feeling anxious or unsettled. Be patient with him and try to create a calm, reassuring environment for him. Good luck!
1.) I tried adding a box in the living room for 2 days and he never used it. I then moved it to the same room as the other box and he did use it once but then didnt poop for 8 days after until I removed the old box he stopped using from the room leaving only the 1 new box. Makes no sense at all but thats literally what happened.

2.) I did suspect the litter was the original problem. I was using two different brand of litter and I thought maybe he didnt like the one I got from petsmart and that was the reason why he stopped using the old box. Well I never bought that litter again and he still has aversion every month or so. I never tried using a different litter though - hes been using silica crystal litter for awhile. I'm not entirely sure what litter my father used.

3.) I scoop them every time they poop and stir everytime they pee. I can guarantee their boxes are cleaner than they ever were at my dads or my moms house. If anything I clean it too much.

4.) This I am slightly guilty of but theres not much I can do about the fact that I work a lot and live alone so they dont get as much attention as they would in a 4 person household with 2 kids to play with them all the time. Hard to blame me since I never wanted pets to begin with but life happens. At least he has his brother to play with when I'm not home so theres that.

5.) I did find a behaviorist but it was like $500 just to zoom call. Kind of out of my price range and I'm not sure I have the means to be able to show her my entire apartment environment through my computer.

The vet I talked to yesterday recommended feliway which was one of the things I was going to try to de-stress him. She said for whatever reason hes getting stressed out - could be he smell/sees another cat, maybe theres a scary noise coming through the wall, maybe the maintenance guy is coming into my apartment when he wasnt supposed to and spooked him? Either way she said I need to find a way to reduce his stress - so yeah thats kind of where I am at currently.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much Miralax were you giving and how often? He may have needed a higher dosage.

You have to make sure it's 100% dissolved too.

Anyway, I've said my peice so I'll drop out of the conversation. I don't think there's anything else I can say that would be helpful if you're convinced that it's behavioural.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much Miralax were you giving and how often? He may have needed a higher dosage.

You have to make sure it's 100% dissolved too.

Anyway, I've said my peice so I'll drop out of the conversation. I don't think there's anything else I can say that would be helpful if you're convinced that it's behavioural.
I started only giving him 1/8 of a tsp twice a day but then I moved it to 1/4 tsp twice a day once I went back to the vet and she told me it was ok up the dosage. I put it in a tiny bowl and stirred it then put it in with his wet food.

I'm not 100% convinced of what it is I'm just saying thats what the vets keep telling me so its kind of circular to keep taking there and then them telling me his bowel movements look normal "he will poop any day now". I could go to a different vet but that all costs money and time that I dont have so I was hoping to attempt something less drastic - I feel he gets way more pain from going to the vet than he does with his constipation. Hes not straining at all nor is he making any noise when he uses the box. He acts like a completely normal cat all the time - doesn't hide or lose appetite.

What scares me the most is that he has cancer or something of that nature the 3 vets didnt test for yet.

Last edited:

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well in a strange turn of events I just witnessed him poop in his box - I did not replace it this time to see what he would do so its the same box as before. You see, last time he did this a month ago I just replaced the box that night because thats what got him to stop the first time, at least in my mind. This does point to this being a whole different problem than before. Its also hard to conclude hes constipated this time because he is pooping every 2-3 days like he normally does its just that one time every month or so he does it on the bed and throws up. I'll try to get ahold of the vet tomorrow and ask why he would have these accidents every month and a half but I'm not sure he will know either unless he does more tests on Pepper.

Maybe it truly is because I'm gone at work. I mean hes only done it on days I've worked so that checks out - even the time i woke up and found it on a couch pillow was on a work day and after a work day. Today is my day off so I was able to watch him. Why he only does it some work days and not every time is the spot where that argument breaks.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll try to get ahold of the vet tomorrow and ask why he would have these accidents every month and a half but I'm not sure he will know either unless he does more tests on Pepper.
When you do, ask them about a calming product called Gabapentin.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read a couple things online saying that people are having a problem feeding their cats Friskies wet food - specifically with lot numbers 1161 and 1159. That is the exact wet food I feed them and when I looked at the lot number it was 1159 on all the cans since they all came from the 32 count variety pack. If this is true then maybe my issue is just the wet food is causing them digestion issues - it actually makes sense from the standpoint that 4 months ago this all started and that is about the time I purchased that batch of wet food. I think I am going to switch to a different non-grain type of wet food. My mother suggested Nulo from petsmart. Anyone else have a similar experience with Friskies wet food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My angel Poppycat started having trouble throwing with Friskies canned a couple of years ago. I feed a rotation of different brands so I just eliminated that one.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home from work today to find smear marks all over my carpet. It looks like one of my cats was scooting across the floor to remove the poop stuck in his fur/anus. The only thing I changed was giving him Miralax daily 1/4 tsp and yesterday I gave him some new wet food for the first time since the Friskies is considered dead to me - the Brand is Wellness grain free. Would the new wet food cause this or is it more likely the Miralax causing him to become too moist and now it sticks to him? Maybe it the residual from the bad Friskies. I'm so confused and exhausted at this point I dont know what to do.

Here are some pictures I took of it. One of the pieces looks like hair. Its not throw up because I smelled it and its definitely poop.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would the new wet food cause this or is it more likely the Miralax causing him to become too moist and now it sticks to him?
It could be a combination of both. I would decrease the Miralax. You didn't gradually transition the new food? Hang in there, this will probably work itself out. You could obtain a pre/probiotic and give a little bit to help the gut (you'll want to go slowly with it).

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You didn't gradually transition the new food?
I didn't want to feed anymore of the Friskies to them so I had no way of slowly introducing it. Should I not feed him anymore wet food and just keep him on dry food only for the time being?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll want to keep his moisture up, but removing one variable, which would be the wet food, and decreasing the miralax which is the other variable will help you and him to determine what caused the issue.