My cat keeps hitting/slaming his head multiples times a day. Could it be something serious ?

sololine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've adopted my cat from a shelter a little bit more than a month ago. His name's Hedy, he's 9 month old, and pretty tall. He is quite fearful so he started to really be around us in the house after 2-3 weeks, that when we noticed he tend to hit his head on furniture, doors, chairs. Most of the times, he would be near stuff and hit his head on it while turning around. In the beginning, it seemed to me that it was just his youth that made him clumsy. The thing is that he also is pretty fluffy and has furr under his paws, causing him to slide and have incredible drifts when he has zoomies, sometimes hittinghis head on the way. But time goes by and he hit his head almost everyday, sometimes several times a day.
I'm a first time cat owner and, despite already have been around cats and watching cat youtubers/contents and all that kind of stuff since a long time before adopting Hedy, I haven't seem that kind of behavior before ? He doesn't seem to have balance issues nor any problems with his eyes or ears, or any weird behaviors that could indicate a health problem. Just the recurent head hitting on stuff when he turns around.
Maybe it's nothing, but since it happens quite often, I'm kinda worried ...
Do you know anything about this ? Should I go to a vet ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is really hard to say what might be causing Hedy to run into things. There are other 'signs' to look for that might help narrow down the possibilities, and I have included a link below to an article about them. Seeing if you can identify any other 'clues' will help when talking to the vet. The odds are that it isn't anything life threatening but is something to have a discussion with the vet about.

Does the shelter have any information about him that might help? Have you had him into a vet for a follow up since you adopted him? Most folks will have their own vet check over a cat that has been adopted, sort of as an 'intro'. If you don't have a vet picked out, ask for references from family, friends, co-workers, and/or neighbors who have cats.
Why Does My Kitten Run Into Things? - Bela Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sololine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could he be slightly or totally blind? Or could he have some vision impairment?
No I don't think so, when we play, he seems to see the toys pretty well, even when they don't make sound ... :/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sololine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is really hard to say what might be causing Hedy to run into things. There are other 'signs' to look for that might help narrow down the possibilities, and I have included a link below to an article about them. Seeing if you can identify any other 'clues' will help when talking to the vet. The odds are that it isn't anything life threatening but is something to have a discussion with the vet about.

Does the shelter have any information about him that might help? Have you had him into a vet for a follow up since you adopted him? Most folks will have their own vet check over a cat that has been adopted, sort of as an 'intro'. If you don't have a vet picked out, ask for references from family, friends, co-workers, and/or neighbors who have cats.
Why Does My Kitten Run Into Things? - Bela Pets
Thank you for the link, I'll check it out
And I'll contact the foster family he was in to see if they noticed anything

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't think so, when we play, he seems to see the toys pretty well, even when they don't make sound ... :/
It was a possibility.
My previous cat got blind in her late months, but she could navigate the house perfectly and was even able to catch a few flies, though every now and then she would walk into something.