My Cat Just Had One Kitten And Im Wondering If Hes Getting Enough Milk And Will He Survive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oliviapatricee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Nebelung breed is no longer being actively bred in the US, and even in other countries there are only a few breeders, so this breed hardly exists any more... it's extremely unlikely that she could have a registered Nebelung (besides the fact that the picture doesn't look like a Nebelung, and she also has another cat that doesn't look like its breed description).

Lots and lots and lots of people think they have Nebelungs because their cat looks like some other cat online that someone else thought was a Nebelung based on other cats they saw online, etc., and also because there are hundreds of articles online describing the Nebelung as though it's a breed that people are actively working with. It's a cycle of misinformation out there...

Kieka was very polite in pointing out that the cats are probably domestics and not any specific breed, her message was not negative or argumentative in any way, so I don't see anything wrong with pointing it out to the owner.
Actually my male cat does look like his description because thats what he is. He came from a breeder. So i know what he is without doubt. The mom could be anything. Either way shes a beautiful cat. Im not worried about her breed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's a pretty good chance the baby will be longhaired, because even if the daddy is shorthaired he obviously carries for longhair if his dad is a Persian. But no guarantees. You'll be able to see pretty soon, I think.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since mom is a longhair and we can assume that dad is a longhair carrier, the kitten's chance of being a longhair is 50%. You'll be able to tell when he gets a little older!

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So mom and baby are doing very well. She wasnt pregnant with anymore babies. Her baby is growing 0.5-0.7oz every day. I believe it is a female and ive named her Willow. Moms name is River. Im debating on keeping her because she really is a miracle baby. Mom is a Nebelung cat which ive read is kind of rare. And dad is a Persian/Siamese. Im wondering when will i know of the kitten will be longhaired or shorthair? Dad has a plush medium coat and mom is fluffy so im not sure what to expect. I can already see an undercoat in the baby just like what mom has. Heres some photos. View attachment 269901 View attachment 269902 View attachment 269903
O Oliviapatricee do you have any other pictures of the kitten? It looks quite fluffy I have long haired kittens that are 4 weeks old and they looked similar when younger.

Oliviapatricee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
O Oliviapatricee do you have any other pictures of the kitten? It looks quite fluffy I have long haired kittens that are 4 weeks old and they looked similar when younger.

Yes heres a few photos. She is 9 days old today and lightening up in color.

Attachments

Oliviapatricee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So River is back into heat already. She is separated from the male until i take him into get fixed.. but is this normal? Her kitten is only 2 weeks old and shes already in heat...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So River is back into heat already. She is separated from the male until i take him into get fixed.. but is this normal? Her kitten is only 2 weeks old and shes already in heat...
Yes, it's normal. Once you get your male neutered, he will still be fertile for up to a month, so be sure to keep them separated until there is no risk of pregnancy. Remember that she can have a silent heat as well.