My Cat Just Had One Kitten And Im Wondering If Hes Getting Enough Milk And Will He Survive?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to mention it .... If you didn't get them from a breeder with papers, Mom and Dad are domestic cats. Nebelung is extremely rare but lookalikes are very common (one trait is green eyes and Mom's look yellow). The Dad doesn't have an Persian look to him or a Siamese look besides the point coloring. Although he is very young and I can't see his whole body so a lookalike to a traditional Siamese is possible, but definitely no Persian features in what I can see. Mostly because if you consider pet insurance and you tell the company they are a breed you are going to pay a premium for insurance that you shouldn't be.

He probably wasn't breeding earlier because he is very young. He should be neutered as well as soon as possible to prevent any unwanted litters not to mention spraying which usually starts around 12-18 months old.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten will be medium or longhaired as both parents are.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are some beautiful cats you have there and the kitten is very special. I understand why you want to keep her. :) It sounds like you have a good plan for your cats and that things are going better with your kitten. I hope it continues. :) Just make sure she doesn't get pregnant again before you have them neutered.

Btw I'm pretty sure nebelung cats DO have yellow eyes, like your cat, and not green.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not at all knowledgeable but I'm inclined to trust written information rather than photos.
Also wiki? Maybe you could find a more official Nebelung website instead. I would trust that more.

I just thought that most of the pictures on google would show green eyes if that's required for the breed to have. Wouldn't you agree? I know lookalikes and mixed breeds can also show up, but that many? If you write ragdoll you see a whole bunch of blue eyes, not most of them having a different eye color.

I myself don't know much about Nebelung. I'm definitely not an expert. But I wouldn't conclude it's not a purebred based on wiki info if anything contradicts it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not mean for this thread to go way off topic on breed. Apologies. But to wrap up the debate, the only official breed standard is the one from TICA or CFA.

Nebelung Breeders

Wikipedia and Google searches are unreliable to verify breed. Mainly because the only way to verify a cat is the breed is to have papers from the breeder along with lineage. Add on that many many people misidentify their cats breed by searching Google and deciding their cat is what it most resembles so then you end up with hundreds of google images of people saying my cat is a X without it really being. But that then ends up as a search result creating a self creating problem because then more people find it on searches and further confuse the breed issue.

Nebelung is becoming one of those breeds everyone thinks they have but no one really does because it is a blue long haired cat and those are fairly common. Without papers a cat is a domestic cat regardless of how much they fit a breed standard.

My intent in methoning it was purely because if you identify a breed on insurance papers you end up paying hundreds if not thousands more in insurance. Making it a costly decision to self assign breed without papers. Again, I apologize for the direction it went.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not mean for this thread to go way off topic on breed. Apologies. But to wrap up the debate, the only official breed standard is the one from TICA or CFA.

Nebelung Breeders

Wikipedia and Google searches are unreliable to verify breed. Mainly because the only way to verify a cat is the breed is to have papers from the breeder along with lineage. Add on that many many people misidentify their cats breed by searching Google and deciding their cat is what it most resembles so then you end up with hundreds of google images of people saying my cat is a X without it really being. But that then ends up as a search result creating a self creating problem because then more people find it on searches and further confuse the breed issue.

Nebelung is becoming one of those breeds everyone thinks they have but no one really does because it is a blue long haired cat and those are fairly common. Without papers a cat is a domestic cat regardless of how much they fit a breed standard.

My intent in methoning it was purely because if you identify a breed on insurance papers you end up paying hundreds if not thousands more in insurance. Making it a costly decision to self assign breed without papers. Again, I apologize for the direction it went.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be part of going off topic. I agree with you that a person shouldn't find pictures or info on google, wiki or anywhere else and then decide that their cat is some specific breed.

All I meant was that we can't sit here and judge whether or not someone else's cat is a breed or not, simply because of info we found on wiki. The threadstarter wrote that it's a Nebelung. Why should we doubt that and start searching wiki to find out if that could be true? Perhaps she has papers on the cat. Did she write anywhere that she didn't?

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its quite common green eyes looks yellowish on photos.

I have seen examples of champion titled russian blue.
Good point. That's why you can't say much about the picture in this thread either.

Green eyes on a photo or yellow eyes on a photo isn't the issue here but the cat's origins. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I meant was that we can't sit here and judge whether or not someone else's cat is a breed or not, simply because of info we found on wiki. The threadstarter wrote that it's a Nebelung. Why should we doubt that and start searching wiki to find out if that could be true? Perhaps she has papers on the cat. Did she write anywhere that she didn't?
The Nebelung breed is no longer being actively bred in the US, and even in other countries there are only a few breeders, so this breed hardly exists any more... it's extremely unlikely that she could have a registered Nebelung (besides the fact that the picture doesn't look like a Nebelung, and she also has another cat that doesn't look like its breed description).

Lots and lots and lots of people think they have Nebelungs because their cat looks like some other cat online that someone else thought was a Nebelung based on other cats they saw online, etc., and also because there are hundreds of articles online describing the Nebelung as though it's a breed that people are actively working with. It's a cycle of misinformation out there...

Kieka was very polite in pointing out that the cats are probably domestics and not any specific breed, her message was not negative or argumentative in any way, so I don't see anything wrong with pointing it out to the owner.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Nebelung breed is no longer being actively bred in the US, and even in other countries there are only a few breeders, so this breed hardly exists any more... it's extremely unlikely that she could have a registered Nebelung (besides the fact that the picture doesn't look like a Nebelung, and she also has another cat that doesn't look like its breed description).

Lots and lots and lots of people think they have Nebelungs because their cat looks like some other cat online that someone else thought was a Nebelung based on other cats they saw online, etc., and also because there are hundreds of articles online describing the Nebelung as though it's a breed that people are actively working with. It's a cycle of misinformation out there...

Kieka was very polite in pointing out that the cats are probably domestics and not any specific breed, her message was not negative or argumentative in any way, so I don't see anything wrong with pointing it out to the owner.
My message was not for Kieka but for golondrina. ;)

Out of curiosity: Do you know why the Nebelung is so rare and isn't being bred anymore?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People tend to assume that, like dogs, all cats will have a dominant breed. They don't. Cats is cats :D. So it's not unusual for people to look up cat breeds and decide their domestic cat must be part _____ breed, because that's what they look like. It's a fair assumption----if you have a dog that looks like a German Shepherd, that dog is probably at least part German Shepherd. It's hard for people to understand that's not how cats work.

But anyway. I'd believe that the OP's tom is part Persian. That flat face doesn't just pop up in the general cat population.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity: Do you know why the Nebelung is so rare and isn't being bred anymore?
The breed was never popular. The founder of the Nebelung breed started with two blue domestic longhair cats that were full brother and sister. She thought they looked very wonderful and special, and bred the brother and sister together to make more of them... She then decided to create a breed based on these cats. Someone suggested to her that the breed would be more acceptable if she defined it as a longhaired Russian Blue, so they wrote up a breed standard based on the Russian Blue and added Russian Blues to the breeding program. There was always controversy about this breed, since most Russian Blue breeders didn't like the idea of having a "longhaired Russian Blue," and other people were uncomfortable with the breed's origins. It never became popular within the cat fancy.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The breed was never popular. The founder of the Nebelung breed started with two blue domestic longhair cats that were full brother and sister. She thought they looked very wonderful and special, and bred the brother and sister together to make more of them... She then decided to create a breed based on these cats. Someone suggested to her that the breed would be more acceptable if she defined it as a longhaired Russian Blue, so they wrote up a breed standard based on the Russian Blue and added Russian Blues to the breeding program. There was always controversy about this breed, since most Russian Blue breeders didn't like the idea of having a "longhaired Russian Blue," and other people were uncomfortable with the breed's origins. It never became popular.
Sounds like a very bad start for a breed. Now I understand why I've never heard about it before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oliviapatricee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to mention it .... If you didn't get them from a breeder with papers, Mom and Dad are domestic cats. Nebelung is extremely rare but lookalikes are very common (one trait is green eyes and Mom's look yellow). The Dad doesn't have an Persian look to him or a Siamese look besides the point coloring. Although he is very young and I can't see his whole body so a lookalike to a traditional Siamese is possible, but definitely no Persian features in what I can see. Mostly because if you consider pet insurance and you tell the company they are a breed you are going to pay a premium for insurance that you shouldn't be.

He probably wasn't breeding earlier because he is very young. He should be neutered as well as soon as possible to prevent any unwanted litters not to mention spraying which usually starts around 12-18 months old.
Dads mom was a purebred registered Persian. I did recieve him from a breeder and met the parents as well. His dad was a registered Siamese. So i know his breed 100%. My female cat though you are right. I dont know for sure what she is she just looked like a Nebelung and i was told by multiple vets thats what she is. Ive also been told Maine Coon cross or Russian Blue cross. Whatever she is she is beautiful and i love her. Im not a breeder so im not worried about all the technicalities. I just simply wanted opinions on whether you guys think the kitten will be longhaired and how i could tell at this age. Thanks so much for your info though. I learn something new every day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oliviapatricee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those are some beautiful cats you have there and the kitten is very special. I understand why you want to keep her. :) It sounds like you have a good plan for your cats and that things are going better with your kitten. I hope it continues. :) Just make sure she doesn't get pregnant again before you have them neutered.

Btw I'm pretty sure nebelung cats DO have yellow eyes, like your cat, and not green.
Thank you so much. The baby is doing so well. Growing significantly.