My cat is very skinny!

Millie005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i have these 2 tortie cats, really wonderful - very sweet, cuddly and honestly best cats you can have.
One of them has been very skinny (and has a very small kittenish build) all her life - but they are very energetic, constantly playing, so her behaviour is excellent. I spayed both of them and shes less skinny nowadays, but in summer she loses all her weight again and doesn't eat much, despite the running around a lot,

I'd really appreciate some opinions/ experiences about this

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If the vet hasn't expressed concern about this, it may be she's simply a slim version of her sister.

You've tried tempting her with various different foods and treats?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she actually underweight? Cats should be lean animals, most are quite overweight so I'm wondering if she's just healthy cat sized and you are used to seeing fat cats. There are many weight charts to look at online, best bet is ask your vet as it's hard to tell from pictures alone.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she actually underweight? Cats should be lean animals, most are quite overweight so I'm wondering if she's just healthy cat sized and you are used to seeing fat cats. There are many weight charts to look at online, best bet is ask your vet as it's hard to tell from pictures alone.
Agree - slim is okay for cats - seeing a "waist". You don't want to SEE ribs or hip bones or anything. I think my cats were often skinnier in the Summer. They'd go outside more and spent less time in their heated beds like they did in Winter. Have you tracked how much food she's actually taking in? It'd be good to quantify "doesn't eat much" if/when you decide to chat with your vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she losing weight or is she shedding out her winter coat? Cats look skinnier when they shed their winter coat in the spring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millie005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very much!
From a 1-9 scale.. I think shes around a 3 at the moment, so i guess she is healthy but on the thinner side. Her fat pad is still very visible, and ribs palpable but nothing too alarming.. I guess with her already being a small built cat and looking like a kitten, it gives the impression shes too skinny, but since her behavior is normal i think she's fine and just a small thin cat,

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millie005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, yes shes definitely eating less, and it seems tp be that only treats increase her appetite so I've been giving her a few

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats also consume less food during warmer weather, so that could be part of it too. It sounds like she's fine from your description. 😀 I would only start to worry if she stops eating entirely.