My cat is suddenly afraid of a certain room.

grmatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and thank you for reading my post. I have a 4 year old Persian cat that has suddenly become afraid of the room he uses for his food water and litterbox. He has used this room since I adopted him about 6 months ago but now is afraid to go in there. I tried to carry him into the room and he hissed when i tried to put him down on the floor and he ran out of the room. He will not go in there to eat drink or use the litterbox. I had to move his bowls and litterbox into the living room where he seems most relaxed. Nothing has changed in the house except we put up the Christmas tree but that is in the living room not the room he used. The only thing in the room he used is some boxes and my computer desk and computer. He is eating and drinking like normal. any ideas?

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something in there must have spooked him. You may never know what. I would try to show him the room is ok. Don't force him to go in there but maybe do some fun things there.

My cat Peanut is afraid of my bedroom because my other cat banned him from the room. For Christmas we had to move his cat tree in there. He cannot resist the tree so he started going in there to lay on the tree. Also when he's chasing his favorite ribbon, he will chase it in there without even thinking about it. Now he's getting a lot more comfortable with my room.

Try playing and see if you can lure him in there for more and more time. So he sees it as a nice place again.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Took my boy several days to come back in to my main living room after his first venture in when I got him: he saw his reflection in a mirror at the far end of the room when he first walked in and freeked - presumably thinking it was another cat.  He had to be gradually coaxed in with play, initially at the door and gradually in to the room.  It took several months for him to feel relaxed in there and it is still his least favourite room in the apartment.  Pain given that it is the room I use the most.

Anything can spook them, something flapping at a window, something falling off a table or chair, loud noise on the other side of a wall from that room (I have a neighbour that plays drums sometimes and my boy is seriously unhappy and jumpy in the adjoining room for the rest of the day).  It could even be if your computer or something was on when you were out of the room and made a noise he didn't expect.  You may never know but I agree what you have to do is let him take his own time: encourage him gently by enticing him to get closer and gradually go past the door by tempting toys, play and treats.  Nice associations and time spent in the area without anything nasty happening will hopefully reassure him and enable him to feel safe in all areas of your home again.