My cat is so depressed lately because of newly adopted cat

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted on a recent thread that we just added a new stray young cat to the family. My boy River hasn't been himself ever since. I did the introductions slowly and it's been a week and a half now. He's not hissing nor growling at him no more. But I have seen a change in his personality. 

He looks so sad and distant. He reminds me of my younger sister when my baby sister was born. I don't want to see my baby sad. He's not eating nor playing. At least he doesn't hide but I am so worried about him. Specially because I don't see him eat, at least not normally.

Has anyone experienced this before?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may be confusing sadness for lethargy. You mentioned loss of appetite also. These are signs River might be ill. Please consult your veterinarian.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You may be confusing sadness for lethargy. You mentioned loss of appetite also. These are signs River might be ill. Please consult your veterinarian.
Maybe your new kitty might have gotten River sick?? You did mention he was a stray, and...you never know. Please see a vet for River.

My Charlie was a bit off when Jet first joined us, his behavior did change a little bit, but was back to normal after some time. but what @yayi  said is right, loss of appetite is a serious issue. 

I hope your River feels better soon =)

Lots of love and luck for your growing kitty familY!! Would love to see pics of your new baby 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never thought of him being sick. He's a very healthy boy but very sensitive to any changes or new things. He is eating something just not as normal and as enthusiastic as he usually is. They haven't been together until the last 3 days and I noticed a change in his behavior from the right moment  he felt the presence of a new cat in the house (even though they were separated). The veterinarian checked the new one and said he was completely healthy. 

At first, River wasn't interacting with us. He always comes out to greet my husband when he gets home and purrs nonstop when he pets him but he has stopped doing that from the first day. He also at first wouldn't purr for him until a few days ago. He stopped going to sleep with mommy at night and only few days ago he came back again. 

Someone recommended me in a previous thread to give him extra attention so he knows nothing will change for him just because there is a new one. I think it helped a little bit. He loves being spoiled like a baby, but I don't feel like he is is completely himself back yet. It has always been hard with him, I wonder what he went through before we adopted him (I got him from a rescue group, the ones that save the animals from shelters, that must have been pretty scary for him). With patience and love he's come around but still any change can trow him out of balance. 

I'll give the veterinarian a call just to stay on the safe side, I hope he can see him today. Thank you for the suggestion!

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's my River sleeping like a ball of cotton! He loves that box with a blanket better than his own bed :)

And that's we we first met. Thanks to Kool Kats Feline Rescue. He was being exposed at my local Petsmart store.

With his sister Panther

And meet the new boy Apple Pie aka Pastelito (spanish for cake or pie). 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
YES definitely give River lots and LOTS of attention. Pet him while he's eating. That's like the most bonding ever you can do I guess. My Charlie changed a bit too after Jet arrived. He definitely felt out shined by her. It was an odd transition period, because we didn't want Charlie to be upset, but we also didn't want Jet to be neglected, being a new kitty in the home. Me and my boyfriend took turns and tried to give equal attention to both, but someone was always with Charlie. He also always gets his bowl of food first before Jet, he gets his treats before Jet does. He gets acknowledgement and pets before Jet upon entering the house...and after a few days he was back to himself. 

Try giving River more attention, it might help, and yea deff see a vet. Keep us posted on the progress =) I think River is going to be fine. 

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet and he said to keep an eye on him but as long as he is still eating, drinking, pooping and peeing it just sounds like he's been affected by the new dynamics of having a new member in the family, especially because the other cat is a male and wasn't neutered he might be taking him as a threat. To make sure he keeps doing all that and if I notice any other change or if he suddenly stops doing any of those that I should call and take him.

My pinky nose boy is sound asleep right now
. My son fed them this morning and says that River ate, I saw the dish and it looks he ate more. 
 I feel much calmer now after calling the vet. Sometimes I wish there were cat psychiatrists too 
.  I've been so worried about the boys getting along that my baby Panther 
 has hardly gotten any attention. I think she's the best cat in the world because she almost never gives me any problem other than stealing bags of treats and eating them 
. Okay, she does other things too! 

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG all 3 kitties are so adorable. I want to eat them all up =) Good luck with ur fur babies. and Congrats on Pastalito =)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I called the vet and he said to keep an eye on him but as long as he is still eating, drinking, pooping and peeing it just sounds like he's been affected by the new dynamics of having a new member in the family, especially because the other cat is a male and wasn't neutered he might be taking him as a threat. To make sure he keeps doing all that and if I notice any other change or if he suddenly stops doing any of those that I should call and take him.

My pinky nose boy is sound asleep right now
. My son fed them this morning and says that River ate. 
 I feel much calmer now. Sometimes I wish there were cat psychiatrists too 
.  I've been so worried about the boys getting along that my baby Panther 
 has hardly gotten any attention. I think she's the best cat in the world because she almost never gives me any problem other than stealing bags of treats and eating them 
. Okay, she does other things too! 

don't quote me on this, but i think there are cat psychiatrists, or behaviorists that will help moderate between kitties...this requires some research tho...but yea there definitely is. Although they are extremely rare and hard to find which just equals to: MADD Money

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

don't quote me on this, but i think there are cat psychiatrists, or behaviorists that will help moderate between kitties...this requires some research tho...but yea there definitely is. Although they are extremely rare and hard to find which just equals to: MADD Money
You must be right! I don't even go to the psychiatrist though I probably need lol (who doesn't?). Yes, there is such thing! I've watched this TV show "My Cat From Hell" it is about a cat behaviorist who goes and solves issues with cats but to find one of those close to me and to have the money to pay for it is a really different story. 

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

River went back to normal a few days after this thread. Always getting scared about everything but he is normal again. I can see him walking and standing confident around the house and is now playing with his new brother. 

And eating together

Home goes back to peace again! 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
your fur babies are adorable =) 

And i'm happy to hear that river is back to himself again!! all he needed was some time =)

Congrats and good luck with ur babies OP =)