My Cat Is Sick. Vomited. Not Drinking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now this is strange and kinda funny and I don't quite know what it means but in this position/act he produced the most pee on his own per moment of effort. So far I've seen him attempt to pee with zero results. Most of it has been involuntary drips, but here he's just trying to drink but in a weird position. Perhaps I'll encourage it. Idk.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's safe to do that yourself? How much did he pee when he went over to the litter box? My cat was able to pee immediately when he got home from the vet. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot, then I had to give him the antibiotics once a day in his wet food for 10 days. I made sure that he got lots of canned food. How much is he urinating each day?

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's safe to do that yourself? How much did he pee when he went over to the litter box? My cat was able to pee immediately when he got home from the vet. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot, then I had to give him the antibiotics once a day in his wet food for 10 days. I made sure that he got lots of canned food. How much is he urinating each day?
Zero pee on his own. And I'm doing less than as instructed. Trust me. Watch the vet do it and you'll cringe in sympathy but she seems pretty good at it. I mean, he cries in major discomfort but not extreme pain I guess(?) it wasn't easy to watch but I wasn't too worried. And I'm usually very critical of how they treat my cats even right in front of me. One place I don't go to cuz I watched one big guy, looked like Donald Sutherland, manhandled my little old precious Maine coon til he yelped then jumped to the floor and he just kept blabbering about his supposed expertise on the matter at hand ignoring the blatant lack of skills.

Anyway, and you see with me he's just whimpering. No way I could hurt him, as far as I can tell. He's peeing on his own nothing as far as I've seen, but involuntarily maybe a couple ounces. So your case wasn't as bad. Lucky you. Hope your guy dies in his sleep while dreaming of mice at like age 20 or more.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone else will come along that can help you more. I'm worried that your cat is not peeing at all on his own after the antibiotics. I'm not sure it's safe to drink from the toilet, I would be afraid of the chemicals used to clean it. Do you have a fountain for him? I gave my cat wet food and tuna juice. I'm so sorry! I hope he starts peeing soon! Are you in the United States? I know people here have had their vet use a catheter to clean them out. But you said you are worried about scarring? They only have a day or two before their bladder could burst if they don't pee.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone else will come along that can help you more. I'm worried that your cat is not peeing at all on his own after the antibiotics. I'm not sure it's safe to drink from the toilet, I would be afraid of the chemicals used to clean it. Do you have a fountain for him? I gave my cat wet food and tuna juice. I'm so sorry! I hope he starts peeing soon! Are you in the United States? I know people here have had their vet use a catheter to clean them out. But you said you are worried about scarring? They only have a day or two before their bladder could burst if they don't pee.
Thank you. Well I didn't JUST clean the toilet and I don't use those tablets but I feel you. I was just happy that he peed so well in that position. I do have a fountain but he doesn't have a problem drinking. And yes I'm in the states. I'm not the one concerned about scarring, my vet is. But she did mention the option. If could be expensive if we do it until he heals up which might be a while. Perhaps we'll do it but right now I've been instructed to check his bladder manually, by the method I showed, which apparently is quite a popular DIY procedure many you tubers have posted videos on. Check if you'd like "expressing cat bladder". But in the process you feel their bladder and my vet explained what size it should be, like a golf ball no more. Yesterday it was a grapefruit before she emptied it so I'm checking throughout the day.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't see him pee when he was drinking out of the toilet. I'll watch the video again. Keep us updated tomorrow about how he is, okay? It sounds like you are doing what your vet told you to do. I never heard of doing that, but I was lucky, I caught it soon enough. My little guy pees two big clumps per day now, one in the morning and one at night.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will. Nice community here. You won't see in the vid him peeing on top the toilet but he did a good bit. Just drops as usual but I JUST got him to pee a good bit with the over the shoulder bazooka method. I'm going to start doing this outside lol. This way I'll walk around the back yard and that will keep him stabilized better - sometimes I'll dance around with him in the air and he gets caught up in the excitement and I bet the movement will stimulate internal movement. And we'll fertilize the lawn.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing today? Is he urinating at all? I hope so. What's his name by the way? Are you still giving the antibiotics?

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing today? Is he urinating at all? I hope so. What's his name by the way? Are you still giving the antibiotics?
Thanks for asking maggiedemi. I think we're slowly getting better. He is drinking and trying to pee but quits shortly but I saw him produce a couple drops. Lol, he's getting used to me squeezing him now. When I grab him he just eventually lays on his side and I've got a good grip/feel and pressure so there isn't really any discomfort but I can't get much out per session. Just a slow drizzle. I just do it frequently. Yeah, still taking antibiotics till the bottle is done and pain drops but maybe at this point we're just taking those for fun. Hmm.. Maybe I should put the rest in the freezer for the apocalypse. He's not eating yet tho but he's actively drinking and trying to pee and he's very cooperative with me and I give him tons of extra love and massaging and send mental healing beams of energy to his bladder so I'm optimistic we're within a couple of days of getting over the hump, the peak of this infection. He did his regular walk about the block last night and sleeps most the day as usual but he does have this slumpy expression on his face and his meow matches it. He's a trooper. We'll get over this. He did before with his eye over almost a month. I think I have a credit for another day of IV since I took him home early so I'll look into that tomorrow since he hasn't eaten that I've seen. But he's not gaunt or anything. Thanks for asking. I'll update tomorrow.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's still taking the antibiotics. Try Friskies Shreds canned food, my cat never refuses that.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's eating finally but only a little. Still not pee'ing on his own more than a couple drops. I squeeze him a couple times a day and it's flowing a bit better. It's best when I just sneak up on him and shove wad of toilet paper under his butt and gently squeeze him til we drench the tp. When i approach to give him a kiss or something he very so slightly whimpers to me 'I wish I was feeling better' but he hasn't expressed pain like the first day. So a plateau I'd say we're in. So it just takes some time. Been there before...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little boy. Hope he starts peeing better soon. What's he eating for food, any canned food? Is he drinking water?

GoldenSkii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never put garlic in the pet food,little salt is okay. Its okay to cook it without seasoning they will still eat it. Also vets will always say put them to sleep when they cant figure out themselves what wrong or want more money. Sometimes when cats or dogs go outside they would eat stuff so good to monitor what they do outside just in case. I noticed this was in 2015. So how is your cat doing now?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not from 2015, that's the date he joined. He posted this thread on Wednesday.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor little boy. Hope he starts peeing better soon. What's he eating for food, any canned food? Is he drinking water?
Thanks. Yes, canned food. Just a little. And he's drinking a lot.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got good news and bad news:

Bad news is he pee'd on my bed.

Good news is he pee'd on my bed.

I wasn't quite sure before as I didn't see him 24/7 but I'd check his bladder which felt pretty normal size so I suspected he'd been pee'ing or leaking on his own. So things are moving along positively. Now it's all about better health/preventative maintenance from here, for him and my other latest younger cat. Cats, gotta keep those kidneys healthy, and everything for that matter. I home cook, but also use their favorite canned foods to get them to eat but I'll start looking more into the diet section of this forum and elsewhere to learn how to cook tastier meals for cats. Sheba does like straight liver though.

oh, and just a suggestion to anyone who's wanting to encourage their cats to drink more, Sheba particularly likes his fountain, something I've had, a little $20 one from Walmart, has filters which I wash, bought three of these fountains to minimize the frequent required washings and occasionally a pump might die, turned out one just needed to be cleaned real well with some astringent... Anyway, but I'd stopped using it cuz I was tired of the maintenance but just recently decided to use it again to start adding some l lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to it since the water flows to keep it mixed, and Sheba showed a lot of interest when I started putting back together again and really likes it. Though another cat who passed last year didn't like it at all and required a bit of coaxing so it might not work for your cat, but you can always return walmart items. Definitely worth a try if you need to get your cat(s) to drink more or if you want to add supplements to their water and keep the mixture mixed.

As you can see though I rigged mine with a plexi-glass cover(cheap, minimal crafty skills & tools req'd) to keep the exposure to air/dust down and water cleaner longer. Easy to monitor, basically once the bowl drains(pump tells you) twice switch out fountain for another(if you have more than one) or wash. Who knows tho, maybe they don't even sell this model anymore. They probably have something though.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen that fountain on Walmart's website. Does your cat still drink with the apple cider vinegar in there? My cat hates vinegar and pukes it up every time. I'm glad to hear he is peeing! I had a feeling the antibiotics and canned food would work. If you are going back to home made food, please make sure they are kidney/urinary friendly recipes. You have to watch the bone content with male cats, also watch out for too much minerals like magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus. And make sure there is enough liquid in it. There's no shame in feeding canned food if it doesn't work out.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but I've only put a small amount of ACV, and will slowly increase the amount. I prefer to feed them just homemade as the good canned food, organic, grain free etc, is expensive. Yeah, I've read about excess minerals. Quite a delicate balance to manage.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can find some good urinary friendly recipes. But if he gets blocked again, don't be afraid to feed Friskies canned food. People might look down on it, but it helped my little boy. He doesn't like the fancy brands.