My Cat Is Peeing Everywhere But The Box

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted both an 11-year old male, William, and a 3-year old male, Galahad, a year ago and have been dealing with pee ever since. William is fine and uses the litter box with no issues, except for a rare accident, but Galahad has been peeing everywhere BUT the litter box.

I have two litter boxes, one covered and one uncovered, in my spare bathroom. Galahad will pee anywhere in this room, so I have the entire floor covered in puppy pads. I've tried a few different litters without much change. He's had other incidents around the house with peeing, but I think I've managed to finally stop those with some anti-urine products. I've used those same products in the bathroom in select spots, but am of course worried about confusing him. I've also tried plugging in a Feliway dispenser and it seemed to make things worse, so I took it out.

I also thought this was purely behavioral until I saw blood on some of the puppy pads and took him to the vet. But they said everything was fine with him; his ultrasound was clear and his urine showed no infection. They think he's stressed and recommended putting him on Hill's Multicare Stress, but he hasn't shown much improvement on it yet. William definitely seems to be in charge around the house, but they have a decent relationship. There's the occasional hiss and paw swat (from both sides), but they'll also sleep next to and groom one another.

I don't know what else to do. I'm going to keep dealing with it, of course, but I wish there was a way to not have my floors soaked in urine all the time. Any ideas?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago did you take him to the vet? Blood in urine is definitely not normal. I think you consider getting a second opinion.

Once some medical is ruled out, you'll have to try to solve the problem. Can you add another litter box? With 2 cats, the "recommendation" is 3 litter boxes. Also, is he comfortable with the covered box?

TCS has several articles on the topic, which I'll post the links:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You obviously are not getting help from your vet. He or she was just selling food no cat can benefit from. Go back to whatever you were feeding William before and find a new vet who takes blood in the urine seriously.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would cut out all dry food and feed only canned food for at least a few days. He also might need antibiotics. I would get a second opinion.