My Cat Is Peeing Blood

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason I said 'pure blood' before it was because her piss, was pretty much like red wine, not thick but uniformly red, which was pretty much a first for me.
Closest I seen was the piss of a stone blocked male after he was blocked for over 24 hours (over a decade ago), but that was the result of a catheter and it was more like really dark orange than wine red.
Years ago when my Pushy was young, he went through a period of recurrent crystals & UTIs. One time we were outside in the snow and he ran around crying and finally peed. It was red like a stream of blood! Freaked us out and obviously we rushed off to the vet.
Pushy hasn't had problems in years. We are very careful to make sure he gets lots of fluid and he eats a mostly wet diet, with some water always mixed in. I'd say that's worth doing for your Margaret.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule for litter boxes is that you need 1 box for every cat and then one more. Or 1.5 multiplied by the number of cats you have would equal the amount of boxes you need. Even if you clean them every day 1 or 2 boxes for five cats is not nearly enough. Also did I read correctly that your soon getting a sixth cat? When this happens please watch your girl very closely, and be sure to do proper slow introductions. The stress from this could set off another UTI.
Exactly. Ever seen those movies with six people living together with one bathroom? Everyone fighting over the bathroom?

Same thing with cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule for litter boxes is that you need 1 box for every cat and then one more. Or 1.5 multiplied by the number of cats you have would equal the amount of boxes you need. Even if you clean them every day 1 or 2 boxes for five cats is not nearly enough. Also did I read correctly that your soon getting a sixth cat? When this happens please watch your girl very closely, and be sure to do proper slow introductions. The stress from this could set off another UTI.
I agree completely that you need more boxes. AND I use the Rubbermaid type tubs as shown above and they work great since we have a digger who tosses litter everywhere. Instead of cutting a hole in the middle of the side, we notched an opening in the end that they can simply walk into. It was easier to cut that way. We just cut from the top down about 6 or 7 inches, then about 4 of 5 inches across and back up and lines it with duct tape. I know having a lot of boxes is a pain, but I would bet this is what brought on your girl's issue, and it could easily happen again. If you need to, you can even place the boxes side by side, just have a row of 6 or 7 boxes lined up...it's better than nothing. Best scenario, though, is to have them scattered all throughout the house. We have them on different floors since we have a two story house. We've even got one in our Master Bathroom tub ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golgotha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That box looks pretty shallow, especially if any of your cats "dig to China" and throw cat litter out of the box.

You might consider a Rubbermaid-type tub with a door cut out like this:

Photo Source: The Litter Box From Your Cat’s Point of View

With the new website upgrade here, I've been having trouble with photos showing up, so I hope that picture worked. If not, the photo is shown on the linked website.
That’s actually a good idea, I don’t know how I didn’t think of making a litter box like that myself!

Though the extra large litter box I’m talking about is pretty tall, Margaret in specific really likes to go crazy with the digging, the others not so much, she still makes me sweep around the Litter box at least twice a day.

Only concern I have with that type of litter box is that my cats are not used to doing it in confined spaces like that (one of the reasons I never got them litter boxes like this one), then again I never tried, and is worth a shot if it means less (or no) daily sweeping. Thanks for the info! I’ll look into this as an option.

I do have to clean every day, and it is tiresome, but I do prefer to focus on as few litter boxes as possible, than spread it out (I used to have to clean 8 different ones in an old setting which was a nightmare), I’m also using an relatively expensive sand mixture, which absorbs pee really well, but I broken two plastic scoops on it so far so I’m looking for a metal one now, but I’ll have to order online since I can’t find one locally.

One litter box per cat seems like an overkill, but, I rather have bigger litter boxes than more normal sized ones, which will average better as 1 per 3 cats. I rarely see them go at the same time, so I never considered that to be an issue.

Normally, I’m not worried about my cats getting stressed if a new one comes in, since most of them have being with other cats all their lives, they don’t seem to care much. Margaret however is the exception, she gets particularly stressed when a new female comes along and she is very territorial. Not sure what I can do to make the adjustment better, she usually gets used to them in time, but I’ll wait as much as I can before I bring the other female in as not to upset her so close to her recent crisis.

Years ago when my Pushy was young, he went through a period of recurrent crystals & UTIs. One time we were outside in the snow and he ran around crying and finally peed. It was red like a stream of blood! Freaked us out and obviously we rushed off to the vet.

Pushy hasn't had problems in years. We are very careful to make sure he gets lots of fluid and he eats a mostly wet diet, with some water always mixed in. I'd say that's worth doing for your Margaret.
I always tried to give them a mixture of kibble and wet food, but wet food causes them to have diarrhea frequently. Don’t have access to many good brands locally, at least in the supermarket level, mostly Friskies, Whiskas and Purina. So I switched to boiled chicken instead.

Now I’m thinking of buying a blender and mixing them some chicken with something else nutritious and wet so is less dry, and hopefully won’t give them diarrhea. I’m not sure what the something else will be yet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s actually a good idea, I don’t know how I didn’t think of making a litter box like that myself!

Only concern I have with that type of litter box is that my cats are not used to doing it in confined spaces like that (one of the reasons I never got them litter boxes like this one), then again I never tried, and is worth a shot if it means less (or no) daily sweeping. Thanks for the info! I’ll look into this as an option.
I think with no lid on top of the box, the cats will not feel confined like they might in a standard hooded/covered cat box.

Normally, I’m not worried about my cats getting stressed if a new one comes in, since most of them have being with other cats all their lives, they don’t seem to care much. Margaret however is the exception, she gets particularly stressed when a new female comes along and she is very territorial. Not sure what I can do to make the adjustment better, she usually gets used to them in time, but I’ll wait as much as I can before I bring the other female in as not to upset her so close to her recent crisis.
Stress can also cause urinary issues. Is the sixth cat you're bringing on board a male or female? There are lots of good threads on this site about introducing new cats to reduce stress for them.

Now I’m thinking of buying a blender and mixing them some chicken with something else nutritious and wet so is less dry, and hopefully won’t give them diarrhea. I’m not sure what the something else will be yet.
If you're planning to provide homemade food more than 15% of their diet, I would look up a good proven recipe written by a veterinarian. These days, there are a lot of good, balanced homemade recipes out there for cat food (and some really terrible recipes thrown together by people who don't know what they're doing). You're going to need at minimum meat, 5% liver, and some source of calcium (like eggshell powder, or human-grade bonemeal), plus some added supplements. Extra Taurine is crucial with cooked meats.