My Cat Is Mad At Me

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mod Note: This thread was moved from a previous thread about a cat only wanting to eat treats.

Temptation treats actually do have the nutrients necessary for a cats health. Has all the vitamins and minerals that they need. Says so on the container and how to make it your cats regular diet.

My cat has recently stopped eating her regular food and only the treats, she's also been distant and moody. She's 9 months old. I'm getting worried and think I'm a terrible cat mother and I should find her a home that's better to take care of her...

Last edited by a moderator:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently stopped eating her regular food and only the treats, she's also been distant and moody. She's 9 months old. I'm getting worried and think I'm a terrible cat mother and I should find her a home that's better to take care of her
You're not a bad cat mom. But I agree, a vet visit would help. It could be worms. Has she been de-wormed in the last 6 months?
I wouldn't feed more than 10 of those treats. My cats don't feel good when they eat too many Temptations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally ate just a few moments ago, but it's been over 72 hours of her not eating. I'm only going to give her 2 or 3 treats, just enough to wet her appetite.

I don't know about deworming, but she's had all her shots.

I'm pretty sure she's mad at me. Will it be forever?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure she's mad at me. Will it be forever?
I don't think she's mad at you. She just doesn't feel good. When cats are sick, they usually hide. My vet recommends de-worming every 6 months. We do 2 rounds of Drontal two or three weeks apart to kill the eggs that hatch.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm low-income so just taking her isn't easy. Also, she's cuddly with my boyfriend. She's snuggled up to him now. Her put her on my lap once, and she ran. It's okay if she's mad, I probably deserve it.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's mad at me, trust me. I know my cat. I just don't know why and how to make her not mad at me anymore.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's mad at me, trust me. I know my cat. I just don't know why
Did something happen? It just sounds like she wasn't feeling well. My cats are stand-offish when they are sick. How much canned food did she eat today? Was it a good amount? Maybe get her some dry food too, instead of treats.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, last night I had a bunch of people over and one friend brought her cat. Although she'd been different before that. She ate a whole can of food, finally. I can't remember off by heart how much that is.

I just proved to my boyfriend that she's mad at me. She was cuddling with him and he picked her up and cradled her in his arms and rubbed her under her chin. She was loving it. I asked him to pass her to me and immediately she tried to get away. Not really anything in and of itself, but I tried to kiss her like I normally do. Usually she kisses back, but instead she snapped at me and ran off. If it is about last night, why is she only mad at me?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
last night I had a bunch of people over and one friend brought her cat.
That's probably what happened then. Did she interact with the other cat? Is she afraid of strangers? I put my cats in another room when guests come over. Please let us know how she's doing today and how much she eats.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's eaten a little today. Seems to be after I play with her a little bit. I left her alone, went off to the bedroom. About an hour ago she came into the room, jumped into the bed, walked around a bit, then tapped me on the arm. When I finally looked at her, because I was trying to ignore her, she licked my face. Does that mean she forgives me?

I can't take her to the vet. I made an appointment for her, and my boyfriend flipped the **** out, and we've been fighting all day.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't have the ability to form thoughts like "This is your house and you invited a strange cat over so I am mad at YOU." They just don't work that way. Yes she was stressed by the incident. Yes she took it out more on you then your boyfriend at one point but it could have been a million reasons for it. You may have smelled different, she may have sensed your stress and reacted, etc. But I guarantee she isn't sitting there now thinking "I was mad you for what you did the other day and now I forgive you." That simply isn't how cats work.

She really should go to the vet. Is this your cats or your boyfriends? At 9 months old if she isn't spayed yet she is going through hormonal changes which is another reason she could be moody. It is ridiculous for your boyfriend to flip out over this. What if it is something serious? Cats do everything to hide their discomfort so you won't know if something is wrong until it is far advanced. This is why yearly vet visits for cats is SO important with occasional bloodwork as well.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been spayed, was spayed at 4 months, so the hormonal thing isn't a reason. He thinks cats don't need to be looked at unless they're showing obvious signs of illness or whatever. And he's had 11 cats his whole life, so he knows everything. This is my first so I'm just a stupid HYPOCHONDRIAC and my feelings don't mean SHIT.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many ounces did she eat total today? If she's tapping you on the arm & licking your face, it sounds like she has forgiven you.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much she's eaten

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add a few things from the above posts:
1) Your cat is not mad at you. She was stressed and may be feeling unwell. Since cats hide their pain/illness I would take her to the vet if her eating/drinking stops for 24 hours (take her to the vet that day, cats die of dehydration!) or if her eating does not seem to improve in 3 days.
What to do When Your Cat Won’t Eat
Cat Dehydration Symptoms - Dehydration in Cats | petMD
*Never bring a cat over to visit again. If the cat is not staying, it is not worth the stress of introducing the cats... which takes weeks - months!

2) Assuming your bf understands how gravely ill your cat can be ... well I'm going to hope you guys are just REALLY short on cash & he is worried about not being able to pay rent. I will say I lost my x-hubby and kept our 2 cats ... I would choose my cats over a man every time. Men come & go, cats stay.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

3) I equate cat treats to large cookies (if you look at how much a cat eats all day versus how much you eat all day, I think the comparison is fair.) I had to get on my roommate for giving my cat 5 treats with chicken it (he's allergic!) I firmly set the limit at 2 treats MAX a day per cat. He kept over feeding them treats (they are kinda chunky and not need it) so I banned him from feeding them treats. They get 3-8 treats a month from me. Think about little kids. You would not feed little kids a dozen large cookies. Just like little kids, you have to feed your cat a healthy balanced diet. I save the cat treats more for when I annoy them by brushing them, trimming their claws, wearing a harness or applying flea medication.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she is a very anxious cat about travelling and going to the vet so he doesn't want to put her through that unless it's absolutely necessary.