My cat is impossible to deal with

ineedhelp123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 2 year old grey tabby cat 2 month ago (Not feral!) and he's impossible to deal with. The first few days were normal, a lot of hiding and exploring house in night, running when approached. I decided to let him come to me on his terms. That was for the first few days. Afterwards he started to eat and drink more and even laying closer to my working table while I was working. But then everything changed, he started hiding in places like under the bed or table and waited for me to pass near by so he could jump at my leg and claw it, and it wasn't playing, it was growling and yowling. I thought he'd eventually stop but at some point he jumped on my lap while I was working, I naivety thought this was a progress and he came for attention but then he procceded to claw my face and spilling the blazing hot coffee that was on the table on both of us.
I called a doctor home (couldn't get him in the carrier) and after a 20 - 30 minutes check he told me everything is physically fine with him. He's sterilized, immuned, has lots of food and water, clean litter, toys. I'm mostly home so he's not lonely.
I asked him what it could be, he told me he might be trying to get territorial with me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get him and what were you told of his background and personality? What is the situation like in the home? Is it just you, are there pets, and is what you do noisy? He is neutered? Are there outside animals near the home, like other outdoor cats, foxes or loud dogs?

It sounds like he was adjusting and something scared him. I'm fishing for more information to see if we can figure out what it might be. Providing this info may change things a bit, but my general recommendation is that you should reintroduce him to the home and do it slower. Start him in a single room - we call that a "safe room". The idea is for the cat to adjust to as little as possible at a time. Let the cat get comfortable with the room, and, slowly, you in the room when you aren't doing anything except quietly sitting, using your phone, etc...

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

You went fast, and with some new cats, that doesn't work well. Granted, getting attacked with no apparent cause isn't real common (although it does happen) and is pretty horrible, but it might be possible to turn things around by redoing things "by the book". A lot of times when people suspect their new cat is a problem or was abused, it is just adjustment-related stress and things can work out.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty normal for a male cat who has a bit of a forceful nature and the change after a couple of weeks moving in with you is perfectly on time.
What he has doing and his little mind is thinking especially if he had a bit of a hard insecure life before you got him is that he has found a place that is good...gets lots of food and is safe..he has claimed your house as his and he doesn't want to share.
He wants you out of his "den"..the vet was right in what he said..he is getting territorial.
You would find if you had other cats in the house he would be taking it out on them but as its only you and him you are the target.
Been through this with before with cats big and small and my latest one even more so.
Easiest way through this is to remove any of his access to food and only feed when he politely asks for food, work with this until he actually approaches you and asks...this will make him realize he is dependent on you and not your master.
And feed him less..keep him slightly hungry, a hungry cat is a friendly cat and their mind is on their stomach and not other devious thoughts.
Easiest way to modify any animals behavior is through the stomach.
And if he is waiting to ambush you..drop a treat in front of his nose and divert his intentions from nasty to nice.
Its a battle of wills for you and him and you got to be the strongest.
Might take a week or two but he should come around after a couple of days of resentment and he should start the proper socializing process.

And encourage play..find something that gets his attention and lots of playtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ineedhelp123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
all and my latest one even more so.
Easiest way through this is to remove any of his
Shouldn't I make it clear for him that i'm the one who calls the shot? When he did that thing with the coffee i grabbed him really tightly (he started screaming) by his upper back and thrown him into some room and locked him there. This was the first time (and last if we wont consider shaking my leg when he attacks it) i used force with him. I was just pretty stressed because he actually went for my face for the first time, btw he got more calm and respectful since then,
doesn't it make sense to show them their place the way other cat would show?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have by luck gained a bit of respect from the cat by scuffing him but retaliating in anger is not good but I will say it gave you a rather large fright.
Yes you do have to show you are bigger and stronger when you cat is acting in the extreme and purely acting out of dominance but done with planning on your own actions and not in temper. And don't throw the cat into another room after..the cat has to have time to consider your mood and you have to show a bit of love and gentle talking after.
If you have ever watched a mother cat discipline her kittens she will grab the kitten on the side of the neck and hold on..then go into forceful licking over the kittens eyes and top of nose.
The licking defuses the anger and you can imitate this by using the other hand and rub over the cats face the same way.
But this is last resort and if done only done once.
Please try more subtle methods as with the food to reinforce things, hopefully the cat has realized he has stepped over the line and behave better.