My cat is gagging itself!

Catsinger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gets off my lap, climbs in a box, puts his head over the edge and proceeds to gag. Nothing comes out. We removed the box, so now he's doing it over the leg of the stationary bike. He isn't shedding hardly at all right now. We give him chopped cat grass in his food to keep the hair moving through his system. I've read that some other cat parents have the same problem. Otherwise, my boy is very healthy. Any other advise?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure this is hairball related - if I am understanding what he is doing correctly. It sounds like he is making a deliberate attempt - for some reason - to sort of 'massage' his throat, by hanging it over something. And, he is applying enough pressure to cause gagging.

Gagging when due to hairballs just 'happens', it isn't because of a cat forcing pressure on their neck. If I am not misunderstanding what he is doing, it would seem like something is bugging him in the throat area.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest a vet visit. ask him to check your cat's throat and esophagus. Just for peace of mind.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The malt paste works well for my little ones. Also I had a little boys that was continually gagging for an entire evening so when I got him from work I rushed him to emergency. Vet couldn’t find anything and said the biggest culprits are thread, a piece of grass that hasn’t worked it’s way down the esophagus properly and a stubborn hair ball. Miraculously after spending an exorbitant amount of money the gagging just disappeared almost as fast as my money had.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how often does this happen? if nothing come out, not even bile..it could be something stuck. Vet asap. I don't get the *removing the box* part, how does it help his sickness. Chopped grass wont help, what you want is a pot with oat/wheat...not mixed with food, cats are not cows...

Last edited: