My Cat Is Constipated And Won't Eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: He made a tiny poop which is kinda good, but he just threw up everything he ate just a little while ago. I feel like we are going around and circles.

emily487

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he still getting anti-nausea meds? My CKD cat had an acute kidney episode about a year ago including some vomiting and after that they started her on daily Cerenia. If he's not eating, it could be because he's nauseated.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he still getting anti-nausea meds? My CKD cat had an acute kidney episode about a year ago including some vomiting and after that they started her on daily Cerenia. If he's not eating, it could be because he's nauseated.
The last dose of nausea meds he got was Tuesday. The vet didn't prescribe any for daily usage. My Fiancé thinks he's nauseated too.

emily487

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah when I was giving Cerenia I was giving 4 mg (1/4 of a 16 mg pill) once a day every day. I've switched to ondansetron (Zofran) since she isn't vomiting anymore but is still nauseated (she has lymphoma in addition to CKD). Ondansetron has to be given more than once a day, but if the Cerenia isn't helping, you may want to ask your vet about that. Cerenia helped with the vomiting from the acute kidney episode, but now with the lymphoma if she is just nauseated and not eating (and not throwing up), she seems to do better on the ondanestron. It's also a human medication so you can get it at a regular pharmacy if your vet calls it in. She's been eating much better now that the nausea is more under control.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah when I was giving Cerenia I was giving 4 mg (1/4 of a 16 mg pill) once a day every day. I've switched to ondansetron (Zofran) since she isn't vomiting anymore but is still nauseated (she has lymphoma in addition to CKD). Ondansetron has to be given more than once a day, but if the Cerenia isn't helping, you may want to ask your vet about that. Cerenia helped with the vomiting from the acute kidney episode, but now with the lymphoma if she is just nauseated and not eating (and not throwing up), she seems to do better on the ondanestron. It's also a human medication so you can get it at a regular pharmacy if your vet calls it in. She's been eating much better now that the nausea is more under control.
I will have to ask the vet if I see her next!

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Took him to the vet, she said to give him IV fluids til monday to see how he does. They gave him more anti nausea but he threw up twice when he got home. He did try to eat once he got home. He didn't eat very much.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is he today?
He is doing alright. Had to take him for another vet visit due to some blood in his diarrhea. Vet gave him some more meds to help with this. She said that he looks good besides that. He has been eating a lot due to the appetite stimulant. And been improved since the IVs. The true test will be tomorrow once the appetite stimulant has worn off. And she told me to give her a call around 2:30 if he diarrhea doesn't improve.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing from the smiley face that he's eating everything that doesn't bite back?
On saturday he ate EVERYTHING. Just was so hungry! He is pretty much back to normal hunger wise, but still eating. But the bloody diarrhea is still going. I am gonna give him til tomorrow to see if he improves. If he isn't having somewhat regular poops by tomorrow night I will take him Thursday.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Finally no blood in his stool!! :] but it is still diarrhea so I gave him some of his diarrhea meds to help him heal. Though he threw up his dinner after he went poop :[. But he is still eating and drinking at his own pace as of now so I am really hoping he is on the road to recovery! He has had me on a rollercoaster these past two weeks.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had good luck with using Fancy Feast Classic Pate. I used Turkey, Chicken or Beef. I would try this once you know she is keeping the baby food down. You can water it down so it it the consistency watery oatmeal. This is what I did when I had seniors that suddenly decided they hated their dry food.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had good luck with using Fancy Feast Classic Pate. I used Turkey, Chicken or Beef. I would try this once you know she is keeping the baby food down. You can water it down so it it the consistency watery oatmeal. This is what I did when I had seniors that suddenly decided they hated their dry food.
I actually have already been doing this because he has been so picky! But this week he has decided that he does like dry food haha. I think he threw up last night because we got over confident in his eating. I think I am going to take it slow and try to ease him back into it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about giving him Miralax (human) 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon for constipation if it ever happens again. I mixed it in a tiny bit of milk and a beaten egg yolk. Egg yolks, by the way, are very nutritious and usually liked by cats. That worked well for my geriatric cat, just make sure you wait a day at least before giving more, you don't want that diarrhea. Offer foods, even fast foods like Arbys or a hamburger patty, you can always worry about getting them back to healthy food later. Offer water with a bubbler in it to entice him to drink, or set several cups of water around so he investigates. They have to drink. All the luck!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try turning on a sink to get your cat to drink. My cats have fountains they do drink out of. My Sonny loves to drink out of my bathroom sink. Last night I had to brush my teeth in hubby's bathroom so I did not spit toothpaste on him. He also drinks out of the tub faucet when I take a bath and will drink water droplets off the top of the faucet when I am taking a shower. All 4 of my cats will drink from the sink if I turn it on when they are in the room. Sonny actually likes to drink really warm water when I shower. I have actually adjusted the temperature of the water when I take showers or baths so he does not burn his tongue. You can try doing smaller meals throughout the day to see if that stops the puking. Eating too fast can cause puking. My 2 youngest cats do this sometimes. They tend to tell me when they have to puke too. They both meow at me before they throw up.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about giving him Miralax (human) 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon for constipation if it ever happens again. I mixed it in a tiny bit of milk and a beaten egg yolk. Egg yolks, by the way, are very nutritious and usually liked by cats. That worked well for my geriatric cat, just make sure you wait a day at least before giving more, you don't want that diarrhea. Offer foods, even fast foods like Arbys or a hamburger patty, you can always worry about getting them back to healthy food later. Offer water with a bubbler in it to entice him to drink, or set several cups of water around so he investigates. They have to drink. All the luck!
Miralax is something I had heard about, I was tentative to give it because of the "human grade" thing but that is a good idea. Hopefully now that he is on IV fluids he won't get constipated as much anymore. But I will keep in mind that trick as well as the eggs! Are they served raw? He is drinking water on his own which is good. I have one bowl in the living room and one in his room so he always has some available.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Raw egg yolk is good, (the egg white needs to be cooked, or separated away from the yolk) - I'm giving my Big Guy some egg yolk now and then.