My Cat Is Constipated And Won't Eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: looks like the blood and diarrhea has returned. Vet prescribed Flagy and told me to give him Kaopectolin for three days. Let's see how this goes y'all .

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also does anyone know if the liquid Flagyl needs to be stored in the refrigerator? It felt a little cool when I grabbed it from the receptionist. But I am unsure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, SPIT! I was so hoping that we were done with this! Flagyl is pretty good stuff. Fingers crossed for you!

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, SPIT! I was so hoping that we were done with this! Flagyl is pretty good stuff. Fingers crossed for you!
Yea I was too! It seemed like his poop was finally starting to have shape, then blood and diarrhea came back. He hasn't pooped yet, but I am gonna see if he has when I get home. Goodness this is exhausting yall. He is all I think about. My poor baby, has Stage 3 CKD and this stubborn diarrhea. Hoping he will be better in a couple of weeks.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: He is still eating and only vomited once yesterday. But now he hasn't pooped since Thursday Morning. The vet did tell me that Kaopectolin can cause constipation. Just hope he poops soon. It's been a day and a half.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If no poop by Monday morning, you have a problem. If you have a syringe or eyedropper, try a small amount of olive oil. That will often get things going again! SMALL amount. We don't want to swing him back into diarrhea again. It may, just may, be that he had pooped everything out.

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If no poop by Monday morning, you have a problem. If you have a syringe or eyedropper, try a small amount of olive oil. That will often get things going again! SMALL amount. We don't want to swing him back into diarrhea again. It may, just may, be that he had pooped everything out.
Olive oil sounds good! I can try that :]

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SMALL amount! As I said, you don't want to trigger the diarrhea again! I'd try maybe 1/8 tsp, maybe 1/4.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to waive a RED FLAG............."Do not force any oil into the mouth of a cat."

The inherent danger is that, if the cat should aspirate (breathe in) an oil, the cat is very likely to develop a most-often-fatal form of pneumonia.

IF you're going to use a small amount of oil, mix it into some irresistible wet food. (Ordinary olive oil shouldn't really be used, certainly not long-term.)

Here's what the "Oracle" of Feline Constipation says about Olive Oil:

Lubricant' Laxatives
  • Olive oil – Technically a cholagogue (see Glossary), not a lubricant laxative, olive oil has mild laxative properties when a larger dose is given. A larger dose for a cat is a small amount! For a mild bout of constipation, a quarter teaspoonful of olive oil can be given for acute treatment but cats require animal fat sources, not plant oils, so olive oil is not suitable for ongoing care. Olive oil contains terpenic acids and phenolic compounds which a cat's liver is not able to properly detoxify. Some pharmacies carry small bottles of pharmaceutical-grade olive oil. Do not force any oil into the mouth of a cat.

I noticed that Miralax was briefly mentioned......to me, that would be an ideal remedy. Here's a piece on Miralax from the same (reliable) source: Feline Constipation.org - Prevention - Osmotic Laxatives - (you'll also see "Lactulose" there - don't even consider it.....very 'old school' and yucky!)

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to waive a RED FLAG............."Do not force any oil into the mouth of a cat."

The inherent danger is that, if the cat should aspirate (breathe in) an oil, the cat is very likely to develop a most-often-fatal form of pneumonia.

IF you're going to use a small amount of oil, mix it into some irresistible wet food. (Ordinary olive oil shouldn't really be used, certainly not long-term.)

Here's what the "Oracle" of Feline Constipation says about Olive Oil:

Lubricant' Laxatives
  • Olive oil – Technically a cholagogue (see Glossary), not a lubricant laxative, olive oil has mild laxative properties when a larger dose is given. A larger dose for a cat is a small amount! For a mild bout of constipation, a quarter teaspoonful of olive oil can be given for acute treatment but cats require animal fat sources, not plant oils, so olive oil is not suitable for ongoing care. Olive oil contains terpenic acids and phenolic compounds which a cat's liver is not able to properly detoxify. Some pharmacies carry small bottles of pharmaceutical-grade olive oil. Do not force any oil into the mouth of a cat.

I noticed that Miralax was briefly mentioned......to me, that would be an ideal remedy. Here's a piece on Miralax from the same (reliable) source: Feline Constipation.org - Prevention - Osmotic Laxatives - (you'll also see "Lactulose" there - don't even consider it.....very 'old school' and yucky!)
I haven't given him any oil because I wanted to give him an extra day without more stuff in his mouth. He already takes 2 different meds. Thank you for the advice, Miralax will be a good option for me then.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do vets continue to prescribe liquid Flagyl (metronidazole) to cats when they know it's HORRIBLE tasting to them?

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Mixed a 1/8 tsp of miralax in his food. Gonna do this throughout the day. Let's hope he produces poop!

SusieCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: And we have POOP. The first was diarrhea which is understandable. But my brother told me his second poop was solid! For the first time in days! No blood! Crossing my fingers y'all. Thanks so much for the Miralax advice!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well............that's a relief!

There are cats who, for whatever reason (often undiagnosed) are shown to require this kind of intervention - on an ongoing basis. He might just be one of these.

Regardless, I'd suggest that you take the Feline Constipation 101 course and keep it on hand for future reference: Feline Constipation Home Page - It's trustworthy, science-based info (not crazy-cat-lady-blog-material).

Glad things are back to normal.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful news! I know how worried (and frustrated) you have been! SHOULD this recur at some point, however, you'll have a better handle on it from the start.