My cat is being weird, any info would be helpful

Onyx73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat, Binx, has gotten a bit weird lately. For some reason when you touch his lower back he begins to compulsively lick his shoulder, it is hard to tell if it hurts him or not. His back always convulsed, most cats do that. But this has only just started a few weeks ago. I tried looking it up online but because it was so specific I didn’t find much and what I did fine it was all over the place as to why, some said stress, some said sexual frustration, I really don’t know. So anything you can tell me will help. Thanks.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like we might be talking about the mysterious cat ailment, hyperethesia. Scientists know it originates in the cat brain, but the why/how is still unknown. Here is a good primer:

Hyperesthesia Syndrome | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Its considered a mild condition and not dangerous unless a cat is scratching itself hard enough to cause problems.

Its interesting that you say all cats have the back convulsions. Either you've had some bad luck, or you aren't talking about hyperesthesia but a milder type of reaction. Still, read up on it, if only to rule it out!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onyx73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like we might be talking about the mysterious cat ailment, hyperethesia. Scientists know it originates in the cat brain, but the why/how is still unknown. Here is a good primer:

Hyperesthesia Syndrome | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Its considered a mild condition and not dangerous unless a cat is scratching itself hard enough to cause problems.

Its interesting that you say all cats have the back convulsions. Either you've had some bad luck, or you aren't talking about hyperesthesia but a milder type of reaction. Still, read up on it, if only to rule it out!
Thanks for the quick response I think that is what it might be, thanks for the help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Also, check for fleas. Feeby likely has always had a mild form of hyperesthesia, with her back skin 'rolling' when she is touched/petted. But it was only when she was fighting fleas that she did the exact same thing Binx is doing - I could pet her back end and she would lick her shoulder area.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its interesting that you say all cats have the back convulsions.
I think we're talking about the way a cat wrinkles its fur when you pet it on the back.

Virtually all cats do it a little bit. Some cats do it more and some do it less.
Yes, I think it has something to do with hyperesthesia but I also think it happens because some cats just don't like to be petted down the middle of the back the way others do.

Also, don't forget that the base of the spine where the tail meets the rump is a "hot spot" for cats. That's where cats make contact when they mate. The nape of the neck is another hot spot. If you touch a cat in either of those places, you are likely to see a reaction, even if the cat trusts you. Some cats might just turn on you if you pet them there, especially if you don't do it gently.

Casper wrinkles his fur when you pet him along the spine but not if you pet him off to the side.
He likes it when you gently stroke his tail but if you touch him in his hot spot he seems to go, "Woo!" and runs away.

How would you respond if somebody gave you the "goose?" ;)