My Cat Is About 4 Weeks Pregnant And...

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My pregnant cat is eating without ceasing. Is it normal for this to happen? She just eats and eats, non stop a day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had a pregnant cat, so can't reply based on personal experience. But it sounds normal. Here's an excerpt from Feeding A Pregnant Cat

"Your pregnant cat's food intake will gradually increase from the day she mates right up to the end of her pregnancy. By the end of her term, she’ll eat about 50% more than her normal level (although it's not unusual for her to need up to twice her regular amount!). "

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed your mother to be kitten food. Both wet and dry.Plus you might giver her a saucer a day (4 oz?) of KMR until she stops nursing the kittens. She needs the extra calcium, calories and protein. Remember, Human mothers to be are usually eating for another one our two. Mom kitties to be can be eating for another five or six! Or more. So feed her kitten food, and keep out some kitten kibble all the time!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Yeah that! Also when the kittens are old enough she will show them how to eat the kitten kibble. Easy peasy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is 53 days pregnant today. Tomorrow I will take her to the vet. I was told they now can tell how many kittens she will have, to bring her in. I want to know beforehand to be ready and clear minded that a kitten won't be stuck behind. I will know exactly how many kittens that will pop out. Is it okay to have the male cat around her while she's pregnant and having her babies? He loves her a lot and grooms her all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on the cats and how she reacts once the kittens are born. I'd take it slow and careful; no unsupervised time until the kittens are older.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took her this morning to the vet. She will have 5 kittens!! I thought first timers had few kittens, NOT! She’s a small cat, so I thought she would have few kittens, NOT! I thought young mothers produce fewer kittens, NOT. The vet was impressed by demeanor and health.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took her this morning to the vet. She will have 5 kittens!! I thought first timers had few kittens, NOT! She’s a small cat, so I thought she would have few kittens, NOT! I thought young mothers produce fewer kittens, NOT. The vet was impressed by demeanor and health.
Yes, those are all myths. Glad to hear she is doing well.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the male cat isn't intact you can just go slow and see how she tolerates him around. If he is intact obviously DO NOT keep them together as he can get her pregnant again right away. Is the male the father? Hope he is neutered at this point. Also you are feeding her kitten food right?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for her to have some discoloration on her private part? It's actually a brown/bluish dry crust on her vagina. Ruby periodically licks the crust off, but it returns. There is no usual behavior with her. She's still eating like a dog, very cozy, content, loving, and playful. She's napping a little more. Ruby will be having 5 kittens, the vet said, while viewing the x-rays. She's a first timer and small for her 1 1/2 year age, yet she's having all these kittens. I just had the stud neutered. He was not spraying urine at 12 months old!!! Maybe if I were to wait a little longer? I thought all intact male cats sprayed. The male Ragdoll was very fertile but the reason I neutered him was because of the VERY strong urine odor in the litter box and that he kept mounting my pregnant cat and was very vocal. I also was not ready for another future litter. I do not have the room for that, even though the kittens would have owners nearly immediately because of their beauty and people I know who wanted one. Hopefully all the stud issues will start dissipating.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it’s normal for pregnant cats to have some discharge near the end of their term (see this thread: Pregnant Cat Has Discharge). Brown discharge can indicate infection according to this article: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!, so I think it would be best if you check with a vet, just to be sure everything’s okay.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep him away from your female. She does not need to be mounted or stressed, and it will take around a month for the testosterone to leave his system. He will still be fertile for a month or so as well.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 59 days pregnant today. For the past few days, she has a slight discharge that crusts. It dries black. Is this normal? She eating, drinking, and playing fine though. I don’t want to take her to the vet if not needed and be charged for it, if it’s something normal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The discharge you are asking about is normal. You can wipe it away with a warm damp cloth.