My cat is 15 and has glaucoma!

kcline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 15 and 6 mos ago had his eye removed went back for 6 mo check up and Dr. recommends removing the other eye or putting him down, he is in good health still using litter box, eating fine, still purring and cuddling. My question is have any of you had to make this decision and if you chose eye removal, How did your cat adjust? The Dr. says mine is already blind so he'll be fine and out of pain from the pressure.
Thank you in advance

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is already blind, has he been coping with it? It sounds like he’s doing well from your description. Cats do adjust well to having no eyes from what I’ve seen, which is admittedly only YouTube feel-good videos.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given your cat has already lost sight in that eye, the biggest hurdle to face is getting through surgery and the healing time. Chances are he has already adapted to no eyesight for the most part. But here are a few members I am tagging regarding eye removal, glaucoma or not. CatladyJan CatladyJan , Talien Talien , Pjg8r Pjg8r , and W WMM201 (the latter has not been on this site for a while, so may not respond - hopefully the others will!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Given your cat has already lost sight in that eye, the biggest hurdle to face is getting through surgery and the healing time. Chances are he has already adapted to no eyesight for the most part. But here are a few members I am tagging regarding eye removal, glaucoma or not. CatladyJan CatladyJan , Talien Talien , Pjg8r Pjg8r , and W WMM201 (the latter has not been on this site for a while, so may not respond - hopefully the others will!).
Thank you!!

kcline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is already blind, has he been coping with it? It sounds like he’s doing well from your description. Cats do adjust well to having no eyes from what I’ve seen, which is admittedly only YouTube feel-good videos.
For the most pretty darn good, they think he may see shadows, so it just seems so final to see nothing. But, I don't think putting him down because he is blind is right, since he's in pretty good health. Hopefully he'll have a few more happy years!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most pretty darn good, they think he may see shadows, so it just seems so final to see nothing. But, I don't think putting him down because he is blind is right, since he's in pretty good health. Hopefully he'll have a few more happy years!
I agree, and with what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said - the surgery and healing are the real hurdles.

I didn’t even know cats get glaucoma, though thinking about it, why wouldn’t they? Pity it can’t be managed the way humans’ glaucoma can …

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn’t even know cats get glaucoma, though thinking about it, why wouldn’t they? Pity it can’t be managed the way humans’ glaucoma can
They can - and it can be treated similarly to humans. It all depends on the degree/level.
"What Is the Treatment for Cat Glaucoma?
Treatment may require both surgery and medications such as eye drops with dorzolamide or timolol to reduce intraocular pressure. Your vet may also prescribe steroids to reduce inflammation.

The vet will want to reduce pressure in the affected eye in order to prevent further damage. Glaucoma caused by uveitis is managed by reducing the inflammation and treating the underlying cause. Your vet may recommend surgery to remove the painful eye, especially if your cat has lost sight in that eye
."
Glaucoma in Cats: Understanding Feline Glaucoma (webmd.com)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is 15 and 6 mos ago had his eye removed went back for 6 mo check up and Dr. recommends removing the other eye or putting him down, he is in good health still using litter box, eating fine, still purring and cuddling. My question is have any of you had to make this decision and if you chose eye removal, How did your cat adjust? The Dr. says mine is already blind so he'll be fine and out of pain from the pressure.
Thank you in advance
. We ended up having both eyes removed on my foster kitty who is FeLv positive and had glaucoma. Her other eye was dying out so it needed to be removed. Your doctor is correct as they are already blind but still dealing with the pain and pressure. Our girl is doing absolutely amazing. I think it bothers me more because I don’t have any eye to look at. She went to another foster home and has learned her way around; climbing stairs, jumping and down on things.

Attachments

kcline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They can - and it can be treated similarly to humans. It all depends on the degree/level.
Treatment may require both surgery and medications such as eye drops with dorzolamide or timolol to reduce intraocular pressure. Your vet may also prescribe steroids to reduce inflammation.

The vet will want to reduce pressure in the affected eye in order to prevent further damage. Glaucoma caused by uveitis is managed by reducing the inflammation and treating the underlying cause. Your vet may recommend surgery to remove the painful eye, especially if your cat has lost sight in that eye
."
The pressure level is at 60, so he suggest removing the other eye so he'll be out of pain. Medication won't help, and this an actual cat opthamologist (I never knew they had those either).

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

."
Whoop! I knew as soon as I hit Post Reply that would turn out to be the case! Good to know.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is a quote from one of our articles, and also another article that can provide some info:

"Blind cats are amazing. “When I adopted Honey Bee, I assumed she would require a lot of special care, but all that's needed is being a little more considerate of her and mindful of changing things around,” she says. “If I leave a box in the middle of the floor, she might bump into it because it's not in her mental map. She gives me the incentive to keep things tidy.”

“Some special needs pets don't require highly specialized care. Don't overlook them at the animal shelter. Cats can have great lives even without eyes. It hasn't slowed her down,” Sabrina says. “I always encourage people to adopt special needs animals. I hope that Honey Bee's story makes people consider the less adoptable shelter pets. I think she's been a great ambassador for all disabled animals.”

Update: Honey Bee has always been the youngest of her cat group. That is going to change soon, as four-year-old “Baby Bee” will become the “Big Bee” this coming Friday. Honey Bee’s human saw the cutest blind orange kitten on Petfinder, and will be going to North Carolina to adopt him next week."

Blind Cats - TheCatSite