My Cat Hisses When I Try To Leave

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have two cats, one lives with me and the other lives with my fiancé. When I visit my fiancé I try to give the younger cat a lot of attention. I play with her for a bit and feed her, but then when I try to leave and go into another room, she follows me and try’s to trip me up, meows very loudly, swats at my legs and hisses. What does this mean? Could it be she’s being territorial and smells my other cat on me? When she does this her ears aren’t back and she’s not being aggressive.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats may hiss when they get very emotional and it sounds like yours is getting herself wound up trying to get your attention.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
If Olive is very needy (or hungry) and I go to leave she occasionally swipes at me with her paw. No hissing, but claws. I take it as her being annoyed and trying to get me to come back. Once I picked up her empty food bowl to feed her the next meal and she thought I was taking it away or something. She slammed the bowl back down with her paw and when I left anyway whacked me in the leg.

It’s rare for her, but I think it’s like a kid saying “no come back” or “I want!”

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's a cat that's frequently boarded at the shelter that hisses (and sometimes swipes) whenever you leave her room; we've always figured she wants whoever's leaving to stay and pet her more. :lol:

Another feline boarder that's very aggressive has been taught "Back!" by her owners (using clicker training), and it actually works.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it doesn't sound like aggression toward you but toward the situation (you leaving -- she doesn't want you to!), which means she's actually demonstrating her attachment to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the responses :)
I’m going to try and visit more and maybe that will help. We’re getting a place in February together so both the cats will be able to get my full attention, I figured she was doing this because I was away a lot