My cat has stopped eating dry food

shadowrose22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
undefinedundefined

I have a six year old male cat that has in the past few days stopped eating dry food. He also is a little bit lethargic and when he walks for example to the litter box or across the room he has to lay down. He seems to be uncomfortable . He also wants to lay under the dining room chair or in the bedroom closet (his normal sleeping space) and doesn't do his normal walking around and such. Sometimes though he acts normal and walks around to everyone in the house and sits on their laps as he used to do. He also layed on the end of the bed when I went to bed as he normally does.

I noticed that he seems to favor one side of his mouth when he has ate dry food in the past, even with wet food he favors a side of his mouth. I wonder if this could be the reason he has stopped eating dry food. Also a vet I took him to a couple of years ago said he should really get his teeth cleaned due to tartar I think.

Another thing I wonder could be causing him to be this way is he is constipated. He has not had a bowel movement in a couple of days. When he had the bowel movement it had white hair in it (he is all white) and it seemed very dry.

He eats wet can cat food and drank a lot of water this morning. He just won't eat dry food. He also isn't eating as much as he normally does.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow but I just wondered if it could be his teeth bothering him or a hairball that is causing his constipation or both. He urinates and uses the litter box no problem he just has not had a bowel movement.

What are your opinions on what could be bothering him?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shadowrose22

undefinedundefined

I have a six year old male cat that has in the past few days stopped eating dry food. He also is a little bit lethargic and when he walks for example to the litter box or across the room he has to lay down. He seems to be uncomfortable . He also wants to lay under the dining room chair or in the bedroom closet (his normal sleeping space) and doesn't do his normal walking around and such. Sometimes though he acts normal and walks around to everyone in the house and sits on their laps as he used to do. He also layed on the end of the bed when I went to bed as he normally does.

I noticed that he seems to favor one side of his mouth when he has ate dry food in the past, even with wet food he favors a side of his mouth. I wonder if this could be the reason he has stopped eating dry food. Also a vet I took him to a couple of years ago said he should really get his teeth cleaned due to tartar I think.

Another thing I wonder could be causing him to be this way is he is constipated. He has not had a bowel movement in a couple of days. When he had the bowel movement it had white hair in it (he is all white) and it seemed very dry.

He eats wet can cat food and drank a lot of water this morning. He just won't eat dry food. He also isn't eating as much as he normally does.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow but I just wondered if it could be his teeth bothering him or a hairball that is causing his constipation or both. He urinates and uses the litter box no problem he just has not had a bowel movement.

What are your opinions on what could be bothering him?
I am very glad you are getting him in to the vets tomorrow, it sounds very necessary.

It's impossible to say what is wrong, I can guess, but that is all it is - certainly it sounds as if something may be going on with his teeth, the wobbliness and constipation can go along with dehydration (and it sounds to me that he is dehydrated), lack of eating, rapid wt. loss...and all of those can go along with several conditions.

Please post an update after your apt. tomorrow? I wish your kitty all the best,