My cat has some dandruff/dry skin

Raeohmar

Cat mamma to Blaze.
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 year old female tortie! I've noticed when petting her some dandruff in her fur. I brush her about once a week and she grooms herself regularly. She is not overweight. I feed her Taste of the Wild dry food and Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet food daily. I read online it could be due to a lack of omega 3 in her diet.. Are the types of food i'm feeding her lacking in this department? Any suggestions on how I could maybe increase her intake of omega 3/ any other ideas what might be causing this? She goes to the vet regularly for check ups. Last check up was about 4 months ago and everything was clear according to the vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Funny, I posted the same thing yesterday about BOTH my guys suddenly having a bad case of dandruff, as well as both of them drinking more water than usual. Personally, I think it's because where I live the humidity level is hovering around 5% (yes you read that right) and it's so hot that our air conditioning is running practically non-stop. Do you happen to have a similar problem? I think in South Carolina it's probably much more humid, so much so that you may run a DE-humidifier. Or could it be that your little one is dehydrated? How much water does she drink? Do you mix any water into her wet food?

To add Omega 3s to her diet, you can add Fish Oil (basically any type). Just google Omega 3 for cats and you'll get all kinds of things. Salmon Oil, Sardine Oil, Omega 3 Oil, etc, etc, etc. My problem is, my cats do not like any of the several I've tried. But I'm still working on different ones :wink:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We supplement with evening primrose oil and omega 3 Wellactin for coat health with our gang. They all have amazing fur and no dandruff.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use red salmon oil and spray a little on their food twice a day for a week and occasionally I coat my fingers in coconut oil and massage the cats skin where the dandruff is. It works well for mine but does leave the coat a little greasy for a few days.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to jump into this thread because the current owner of a kitten I am buying feeds them Taste of the wild and she adds fish oil.
Can someone tell me what main ingredient is in taste of wild brand?
I live in an area with few variety of cat food , surely will not find original taste of the wild brand ,so I hope to mimic ,substitute as closely as possible and not have diarrhea ,vomiting skin issues for our new kitten.

We do have plenty of fresh ocean fish available . Picky eater might do well to get fresh deboned fish once or twice a week. Reports say daily sardines is Toxic to cats. Check it out