My cat has FLUTD or FIC - blood in urine what do I do?

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some back story: 1 year old male ragdoll, had struvite crystals in his urine early on, switched him to an all wet food diet with water added to his wet food every time and it got rid of the crystals

I went away for 3 days and my fiance was home with him, but he's usually glued to my side. I came back this afternoon and he started peeing blood, and in little droplets, and repeatedly goes to the litter box.

I took him to the emergency vet, and he diagnosed him with FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) and said that since we were already doing the wet food + water diet for  months, it was most likely caused by stress (me going away?)

He also recommended I put him on the prescription urinary food. 

I contacted my breeder and she thinks that feeding an all wet diet isn't healthy and he needs dry food in his diet as well, and to also switch to the prescription diet, but everything I've read has said that wet food is better no? 

We've got him on medication and we're monitoring him, but I don't want this to be a chronic thing, how do I prevent it from happening? I'm just worried sick :(

The wet food we put him on is Authority Chicken, Royal Canin Adult Instinctive, and Organx Chicken/Turkey.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

stonesfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy Bogey is going through a similar issue. He just came home 2 nights ago after being at the ER vet for 5 days. He was blocked and is now on dry SO. Iy is the only urinary food he will eat. Today he is very tired, and he was falling asleep in the litterbox this morning so we took him to our regular vet. He said he wasnt blocked again and to keep an eye on him. Poor little guy. He was standing in pee tonight because it was trickling out and he was just trying to feel empty. Now he is just laying around and isnt acting like he feels well. He is very withdrawn. I am hoping he is just trying to recover from what he has been through. I hope your baby feels better.

stonesfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, our vet told us that some cats eventually become able to eat regular food after about 5 years old. He said most do very well on SO. As long as he eats the food, his crystals will dissolve. He said it is very rare to have to resort to surgery (he only sees one a year that need surgery).