My cat has been sleeping all day without eating

patchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I traveled one week ago and gave my cat to my friend who has 12 cats.. i have only one cat.. I got him 2 days ago and he has been sleeping since i got him and he's rarely eating now... My friend told me when my cat (patchy) was there he was playing all the time.. Is it that he's lonely? Or he's sick?

shandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He may have experienced trauma from being around so many cats,

and you not being there.

Cats are very sensitive.  If he doesn't eat soon, you may need to

take him to the vet.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually give my cat about 24 hours to "recuperate" after a stressful day such as traveling in a car, going to the vet, etc.  After this period, if your cat doesn't start acting normally and eating again, I would be worried.  If Patchy hasn't eaten in two days, I would definitely take him to the vet.  He might develop Hepatic Lipidosis, a form of liver disease that occurs when cats go too long without eating.  

Maybe he got sick or stressed from being around so many cats and being away from you.  I hope everything works out for you two.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible he just played himself to exhaustion and is sleeping it off. But 2 days should be enough. . .if he isn't showing signs of improvement by tomorrow you should get him in to see the vet. It's very serious if a cat doesn't eat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This change in eating habits and lethargy would be very concerning to me as well.  I think a trip to the vet is in order.