My cat has a spraying problem!

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 year old cat that's been spraying in our house. 18 months ago he had a urinary blockage and spent a traumatizing 10 days at the vet. When he came home he started spraying. He's had many check ups since and he's fine, health wise (other than being FeLV positive). 

We've done everything to make his life good, he's very spoiled! He has loads of space to roam around, a companion cat that he gets along well with, cat trees, scratching posts, toys etc. I'm home during the day so I even take him and the other cat outside on leashes. There's very little stress in his life.

However, there is a stray cat that visits our house. He has sprayed all over our back deck, patio furniture, bbq and our windows! Our cat mostly sprays in the living room, which is the room that faces the deck - where the stray cat mostly goes. 

I really don't know how I'm supposed to catch this stray, and to be honest, I'm not even 100% that it is in fact a stray! It's very skinny, I've seen it picking through garbage and it does not wear a collar. 

I'm very fed up with this whole situation. All my evenings are spent being terrorized by my cat who paces around my living room and backs up to all my furniture and looks like he's about to spray. It escalates over the course of the evening and eventually he'll just spray the furniture or curtains. It's awful. 

My boyfriend has been suggesting putting him on medication. I'm quite against the idea, but I also realize that I can't continue to live like this! Would putting him on drugs even work if the stray cat is still coming around?

violet18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spraying is usually either stress-related or territorial which I believe is the case with your cat.  I believe he is spraying because of the stray cat coming around his territory.  Perhaps a local animal shelter or animal control will help you catch the stray and help find him a home.  I volunteer with the SPCA cat wellness program and I know our shelter would do that and it sounds like the stray cat needs help.  Once the stray is gone and the area sanitized, this should immediately solve your cat's need to spray.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness; that sounds really unpleasant!  It does sound like a stress thing to me; but also if where he sprays isn't cleaned properly (to his nose's standards) he will continue to mark an area.  We usually recommend a good enzyme cleaner.  I've had luck with Nature's Miracle; but you do have to thoroughly saturate it.  A feliway diffuser; which gives off calming pheromones, may be a help to him as well.  They can take a little time to work though so it would have to be in conjunction with diligent cleaning.  I also think trying to repel the other kitty might help.  I know they do not like citrus scents but I'm not sure how that would work on an outdoor situation.  Trying to get the stray fixed may not solve the problem either; but it can be worth a shot.

Doing a quick search I found this old thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/36234/how-can-i-discourage-outdoor-cats-in-my-yard  and in it a suggestion to read this post from Hissy: 
 If the cat outside is indeed a feral you can deter it away from the window easily enough. I would also suggest you get a black light flashlight and around midnight go outside and shine it around. My guess is there is urine spray all over the side of the house. Use a good enzyme cleaner to clean it up.

But to keep a feral away from your property, go to your beauty shop and ask the girls for the hair cuttings on the floor. (They will look at you really weird). But give them a large plastic bag with a sealed top and have them put the hair in the bag.

When you get home, sprinkle the hair liberally on the ground next to the window outside,and also around the house. The smell of human hair will keep the cat away (except if it rains).

Good luck!
I hope that helps some.  Hopefully someone else will have more advice or personal experience!  Good luck and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions, more info, etc. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I've thought about getting the Feliway, but as it's so expensive I've been a bit reluctant, especially as it's had such mixed reviews. Interesting idea about the human hair. I'm just not sure I want human hair out there, as I hang out there and if it's windy then I'll have strangers hair blowing in my face.

I bought Nature's Miracle last week and thoroughly saturated all the areas that he's sprayed. I don't think he's sprayed the couch since, but he still walks around putting his butt against things like he's going to spray.

The other thing that is annoying is we built an outdoor cat enclosure that is accessible via the living room window. Well, I've seen him spraying in there too and I can't get into to clean it.

But I suppose I should just give the Feliway product a chance and maybe also get him back onto a calming pill I used to give him. It's made of something similar to milk so it's supposed to make them feel the same way they'd feel nursing. I think it was called Zylkene or something. I didn't notice much of a difference, but I don't think he sprayed while he was on it. I think he's also worse during the warmer months when he wants to be outside all night. But as he's an indoor cat, that's not going to happen.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how much hair you would need.  I've always been told to sprinkle it in my garden to keep rabbits and things out.  You might not need so much.  But if it's windy where you live it might just blow away anyway.  Unless you could sprinkle it under your deck?

You could try looking for deals for the Feliway online.  Perhaps it wouldn't have to be a long term thing; a few months or so.  I think the calming pill is worth a shot too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea about looking online for a cheaper Feliway. I also have a friend who used it and said it didn't work, but maybe she kept it anyway so I'll ask her.

Tonight I gave the cats extra attention. We played games that involved them running around, hide and seek with toys peeking out, catnip, treats, and outdoor time on their leashes. All together I think I spent about an hour. Well, the result was so worth it! They were completely relaxed afterwards and came and lay on my bed with me. They were both passed out by 11, which is extremely rare. Perhaps I just need to spend more time with them each evening. Though I'm just not sure I can keep that up every day. High maintenance cats.