My Cat Has A Bug Bite?

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CA6F2F29-AF48-4DA3-9662-5D775F914868.jpeg
My 8 month cat Sadie ate a bug a couple days ago and i’ve noticed a small bump on her lip. I’m pretty sure it bit her, and i’m worried. She acts like it isn’t there and is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom normally. How do i treat it? Here is a picture.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a vet that will accept pictures? If so, send this pic to them, tell them what you've told us, and ask for advice. It looks like whatever it is might need to be opened and drained - and could require something to prevent infection if it were to open on it's own.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know or can take some guesses what kind of a bug was that? I second the suggestion send the picture to a vet. They might prescribe you something more on the natural side if the cat is otherwise fine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a spider/bee sting. If she is acting normal I would observe her for the next few days to make sure it is not getting worse. There is not really much you can do, just watch and call the vet if she gets worse. My cats used to bite wasps and get something similar until they learned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know or can take some guesses what kind of a bug was that? I second the suggestion send the picture to a vet. They might prescribe you something more on the natural side if the cat is otherwise fine.
My family is recommending a cream called Creme De La Tia. Its a healing cream for animals, but mostly used on humans. Should I use some on Sadie and see if anything changes?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family is recommending a cream called Creme De La Tia. Its a healing cream for animals, but mostly used on humans. Should I use some on Sadie and see if anything changes?
If you are sure vets prescribe it to cats, not for some other animals but for cats, it should be harmless. If you are not sure give the vet clinic a call.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family is recommending a cream called Creme De La Tia. Its a healing cream for animals....
All it took was a little Googling:

April 28, 2017
Health officials warn of mercury in skin cream
California health officials are warning consumers not to use a face cream because it contains mercury, a chemical that can affect the nervous system and other organs.

The Mexican-made face cream, sold under the name La Tía Mána and in unlabeled white cold-cream jars, were recently tested and came back positive for high levels of mercury......
LINK: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/health-officials-warn-of-mercury-in-skin-cream-brand-la-tia-mana/

Not only should you not use it on your cat........no human should be using this crap!

Your post was made on Friday...3 days ago - you said the bug was eaten "a couple days" before then......if this were a bug bite, the swelling would have reduced in 5 days.

To me, it looks like a textbook example of a "rodent ulcer".....that is a type of allergic reaction known as Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Here's a reliable veterinary reference for you: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats - Veterinary Partner - VIN.

No cream is going to resolve this - a competent Vet will know how to both diagnose and treat it. But, there's no 'home remedy'. A steroid is usually used to stop the immune response.

If this is the first time this has occurred, don't waste your time looking around for some allergen that could have triggered it. Cats' immune systems are extremely sensitive - so sensitive that they sometimes 'get fooled' and mount an enormous reaction to something that shouldn't be concerning at all. (It might even have been the spider after all!)

Vet time!

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

April 28, 2017
California health officials are warning consumers not to use a face cream because it contains mercury, a chemical that can affect the nervous system and other organs.

The Mexican-made face cream, sold under the name La Tía Mána and in unlabeled white cold-cream jars, were recently tested and came back positive for high levels of mercury......
LINK: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/health-officials-warn-of-mercury-in-skin-cream-brand-la-tia-mana/

Not only should you not use it on your cat........no human should be using this crap!

Your post was made on Friday...3 days ago - you said the bug was eaten "a couple days" before then......if this were a bug bite, the swelling would have reduced in 5 days.

To me, it looks like a textbook example of a "rodent ulcer".....that is a type of allergic reaction known as Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Here's a reliable veterinary reference for you: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats - Veterinary Partner - VIN.

No cream is going to resolve this - a competent Vet will know how to both diagnose and treat it. But, there's no 'home remedy'. A steroid is usually used to stop the immune response.

If this is the first time this has occurred, don't waste your time looking around for some allergen that could have triggered it. Cats' immune systems are extremely sensitive - so sensitive that they sometimes 'get fooled' and mount an enormous reaction to something that shouldn't be concerning at all. (It might even have been the spider after all!)

Vet time!
First of all, "La Tia Mana" is NOT what i'm talking about. I searched it up and it is definitely not the cream I have. Secondly, it is not a face cream. La Creme De La Tia is for any body parts that have minor burns or wounds. You have the wrong cream .

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

April 28, 2017

Vet time!
Also, her bump/swelling has definitely gone down! It's barely noticeable now, and I think in one more day or two it will be gone.