My cat had a tooth pulled..has not been right since...HELP PLEASE! :(

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My kitty had a tooth pulled ,was put on pain meds and anti biotic Clindomyecin ...after 3 days she was still not feeling well very lethargic not her usual self at all .Also was on pain meds.. The vet has seen her 3 x since she had it done last Tues.. We added a little pro biotic for her tummy ....She also was'nt eating so much had ,soft poop and threw up a couple times ....So we stopped the meds ...Then took her back gave her fluids  then she thought maybe she had an intestinal problem so put her on metronizidol/flagyl ..well she has had 3 of those and is still not herself ..Im soo worried ..She is a sweet  happy talkative part Siamese 13 yr old kitty who acts like a kitten still ..

We made her chicken and tuna and she is eating that  we have to encourage her to eat ...she is drinking  but may need more fluids tomorrow ..........She is mopey and doesnt want to move and I just hope this goes away ....

She is going back to the vet tomorrow and we will see what else we can do ...

We think it could be a reaction to the anti biotics and  possibly an intestinal virus hence why she put her on the second anti biotic ....my question is if it is How the heck long will the illness last ..We are stopping the Flagyl also ..Any advice or help would be welcome ..I'm so worried !!!I am very upset to see her like this and her little meows are so sad sounding :(  THANKS!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Donna2 and welcome to the forum!

Oh, my, this must be just awful for you.

Exactly what is the name of the pain meds you were giving her at home?

jmvito

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that the vet insisted had bad Teeth. Three teeth were extracted but he didn't improve. As it turned out he had a maxillary sinus tumor. The tumor was about the size of a quarter and by the time it was found on x-ray had started to break through the palate.

My advice is if improvement is not seen in another day or two get a head x-ray just to rule out any other issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ...Her tooth had holes in it ..and Her mouth looks perfect ....no redness  etc ..

She is going back to the vet tomorrow ..

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ..She was on Clindomyicyn ? first for a couple of days  and then off it  and then she had about 3 of the metronidazole ...and she is really not feeling well at all ..UGh .:(  She is going back tomorrow

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ..She was on Clindomyicyn ? first for a couple of days  and then off it  and then she had about 3 of the metronidazole ...and she is really not feeling well at all ..UGh .:(  She is going back tomorrow
Donna2........yes, you posted Clindamycin in your first post above...BUT...you ALSO mentioned "pain meds" twice in that post. Do you still have the container/box that they were in? Can you post back with the name of the pain medication?

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 It was Buprinex...She was only on  it a couple days and we stopped it .. its been over a week since she has been  on it ..She is going to the vet today at 2:30 ..Sigh ...thanks

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying, Donna2.

Personally, I don't see any problems with the drug protocols that were used...the Clindamycin is quite appropriate around dental surgery and the Buprenex is one of the safest pain relievers for cats. I was very concerned that your pain med might have been Metacam - that drug has a sorry history of kidney destruction in many of our cats, and some of the symptoms you described were characteristic of such cases.

That said, many Vets also use Metacam via injection at the time of surgery - I recommend that you ask specifically today whether/not a Metacam injection was given pre/during her surgery. IF it was, I would insist that she be put on IV drip immediately - and, probably for at least a couple of days, and that both bloodwork and urinanalysis be done to measure her kidney function.

All of that said, I personally expect my cats to be "under the weather" for a day or two after dental surgery - and, if I'm using Buprenex, I understand that they may be dopey/out-of-it/lethargic while they're on it.

You were absolutely right to add in the probiotic, as diarrhea is very common with Clindamycin. Ideally, the probiotic is given before, during and after the antibiotic course, and two hours "away" from each a/b dosing.

I would not have automatically have treated for intestinal "bugs" though WITHOUT having a stool sample tested - and, that would have been simple to do.

Make sure that her hydration is checked today. I would probably pick up a few cans of a special recovery food available from the Vet - this one: http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html Cats generally love it and it would go a long way toward helping her regain her strength. (It goes without saying that you should be using wet foods anyway - for the "why's" of that, here's a read for you http://catinfo.org/ If you'd like help with that, make a post in the Nutrition forum on here - you'll get good advice there.)

Keep us posted!

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again ...

Well she got more fluids today and we brought a bag home so we can keep giving them to her  tomorrow and over the weekend.We have experience doing that because of my old cat we used to have to give them to him ....because of his diabetes and as he got older had more issues ...

.It makes a huge difference perking her up ..also have an appetite stimulant ...She is eating a little but not enough.. she is drinking water and she is urinating .. I bought her some baby food too ...I will look at getting some of that cat food to thnx ...

Also I think she does'nt feel he has a parasite I misunderstood ..obviously is having intestinal tummy issues . possibly caused by Clindamycyn ..No she did not get  Metacam just Buprenex and Clindamycin ........Wants to keep  the flagyl and bactryl has been added now too ..I always use wet food...My vet prefers wet food also .So she did eat a little bit i will kepp coaing her to eat and Thanks for all your help !! I appreciate it so much! Thank you from me and sweet Millie

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it sounds a little more promising tonight.

Two things:
  1. Can you post the exact name of the new drug?
  2. You really will need to do more than coach her to eat and, the appetite stimulant may take some time to kick in. You may need to go to assist-feeding for a short time. In case you're not aware, cats cannot fast, the way humans can...we are able to live off our body fat if necessary, but cats are unique insofar as they cannot...you certainly don't want her to now develop a liver disease from not eating - and that is NOT a remote possibility - we have had lots of cases right here at TCS. If you have no experience with this, post back...but, in the meantime this video will show you almost everything you need to know You won't need the huge syringe, pick up a pediatric med syringe at the drugstore. Feed a few droplets at a time into the side of her mouth, let her swallow, keep repeating. It really should be done every couple of hours until she starts on her own again - don't ever squirt it (or anything else) down her throat!
You know we'll keep rooting for sweet Millie! Tell her she will owe us some pix once she feels up to it

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 She is taking Baytril ,,,and metronidazole .......     She is eating ...I have been hand feeding her this am ....  but she is eating ..on her own now a little more and more ..She is going over to her dish on her own ...she is perkier also ..I hope it stays this way ..THANKS soo much for your help keep you posted !!

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel a bit better she ate a little more and she is sitting on my lap now...I will be back tomorrow with updates thanks for all the support!

donna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miss Millie is acting alot like her sweet chatty self today .. Sigh of relief!She is still eating ! and she even played with a shoelace just for a sec.I dont want to over do ..I just wanted to see if she was interested !  She even jumped in the air for it ! YAY   She is talking and sounding more like herself too ..She is quite chatty and is like a squeak toy ...when you touch her she always says something  she would just sound so forlorn  these  last few days you could hear it in her voice.....I am feeling very optimistic today! Cautiously ..holding my breathe that she is on the mend ...Its been a very stressful week and a half ! ..Thanks for the support and will be in touch ...:)

mycatmaggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It gave me courage and hope  reading your post

.My cat that i have only had for 7 months she is now 3 years old she is a hymalayen and we saved her from being abused.

she was so scared at the beginning we went slowly had bad habits such as pooping on the floor we change litters so many time we found the solution two litter on for poop and one for urine now all in order.

Now we had notice that she was eating less ,and she loves to eat

went to the vet and told us she had holes in her teeth,and was suffering murder

so we had her tooth clean and they have extracted 4 of her teethes 

the back teethes had holes in them poor Maggy!

I cried so much she never bites she not a aggressive cat you could wash her eyes look at her teeth take a blood test and she just is so submit full from all the abuse.

she coming home today i hope all goes well

i will be brushing her teeth after her pain is gone i wonder if this will change a future lesion and holes from her only teeth left the vet says it helps

One vet told me that some cats are allergic to to their own enamel hopefully this is not her case she went threw hell enough from her pass but i am amazed how much people are having this problem i had never herd of this before Roxanne