My cat got outside for the first time since we took her in, what are the chances she returns?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning I noticed some of the kibble I had left out back had been eaten. I’m hoping it was her. Also, one of the traps was closed shut but no animal was in it. Not sure how that happened or if she had something to do with it. I’ll keep trying!

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend just told me that when she got home just a few minutes ago, she saw another cat that wasn’t ours in the backyard and then it ran away. So now im just worried that the food was eaten by this cat and not mine. The food we are putting out seems to be attracting other cats. If we don’t see our cat later tonight it will be 4 straight days without seeing her and by tomorrow night it will be a full week that she has been gone. I want to keep hope up but it’s starting to get difficult!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend just told me that when she got home just a few minutes ago, she saw another cat that wasn’t ours in the backyard and then it ran away. So now im just worried that the food was eaten by this cat and not mine. The food we are putting out seems to be attracting other cats. If we don’t see our cat later tonight it will be 4 straight days without seeing her and by tomorrow night it will be a full week that she has been gone. I want to keep hope up but it’s starting to get difficult!
Is your cat spayed?

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neighbor told me she saw her last night. First she was out in the street chasing a rabbit! Then she saw her around the side of our house and then running towards our backyard near the shed. I’m glad to know she’s so close. Just wish she would come home! Tonight it will be a full week she’s been gone.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor told me she saw her last night. First she was out in the street chasing a rabbit! Then she saw her around the side of our house and then running towards our backyard near the shed. I’m glad to know she’s so close. Just wish she would come home! Tonight it will be a full week she’s been gone.
Try trapping, shes not really gone she has been seen.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try trapping, shes not really gone she has been seen.
I have been. Last night was the third night in a row that we had two traps out and they’re well covered too. I think she’s the type of cat that is too skittish and scared to walk into the trap, so not sure what to do.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been. Last night was the third night in a row that we had two traps out and they’re well covered too. I think she’s the type of cat that is too skittish and scared to walk into the trap, so not sure what to do.
I know I mentioned this before but I would invest in a snake camera to make sure she is under the shed. If she is, I would block off all exits except for the one you want her to use. Then place the trap there and block off anyway she can avoid going into the trap. She will eventually come out and into the trap. I have live trapped countless animals this way and it has always worked. I will say that I have never done this with a cat, but I do think it will be successful.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they have cheaper cameras of this type at Harbor Freight Tools, if the cost is bothersome.

Kitty is sticking around because there are places to hide and there's food available. I'm certain you'll be able to get her back.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I'm going to ask questions you may have already answered.
Are you leaving food out for her in addition to what you are putting in the traps?
Where are you placing the traps? By the shed? Closer to your house?

Kitty needs to be real hungry to go into trap. If you are putting food out I would stop and/or put the food very close to your house. I would also put the traps very close to your house. My reasoning is she was once feral and she is very familiar with the shed so she is going to go about her previous life and I think maybe if we try to switch things up a bit.

A trick I've used is playing kittens crying on your phone and see if she starts responding.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I'm going to ask questions you may have already answered.
Are you leaving food out for her in addition to what you are putting in the traps?
Where are you placing the traps? By the shed? Closer to your house?

Kitty needs to be real hungry to go into trap. If you are putting food out I would stop and/or put the food very close to your house. I would also put the traps very close to your house. My reasoning is she was once feral and she is very familiar with the shed so she is going to go about her previous life and I think maybe if we try to switch things up a bit.

A trick I've used is playing kittens crying on your phone and see if she starts responding.
Leaving out dry food outside the traps and the wet food is in the traps. Both traps very close to house. One is close to shed and the other is on the side of the house where I saw her last Friday night. I guess I should stop leaving dry food out. I’ll try the cat sounds tip. Thanks!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Freezing rain right now coming down very heavy. I’m worried she won’t survive it. 😢
I can certainly understand your concern, but cats find safe spots to hunker down. I have a regular feral come by for food and I have opened up my chicken coop, made a shelter... yet this fellow has somewhere he goes.

We are having the same type of weather freezing rain, snow freezing temps and they manage to survive. Please don't stress, I'm praying your kitty will return home and it often takes time.

Yes, quite providing meals so kitty is hungry enough to go into trap.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't leave food out it invites opportunistic and unwanted guest.
Go searching or look out your window at dawn, as the sun rise 5am to 7am.

If you see her do not, i repeat do not try and grab her, pick her up, you will end up getting clawed, only predators perform this act to their prey. Although some cats may tolerate being picked up on occassions.

How did she end up in your garden and not your neighbours, 2 years ago. You must of noticed some of her routine, pit stops, lay her, sit there, guard of survey from there.

If you see here in your garden, grab a bag of treats or bowl, when you step outside, get her attention with the pssst sound drop the food and walk away, do this for every meal, then after a few occassions miss one sitting [meal], lay the trap on the next sitting.

Cats will have a few different spots to hunker down, as the weather changes, what is more of a issue is foxes, coyotes, kids and cars.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like some of the food is attracting other cats. Picked up a motion camera yesterday and we’ve seen two other cats in our backyard. I hope these other cats wouldn’t scare our cat away.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like some of the food is attracting other cats. Picked up a motion camera yesterday and we’ve seen two other cats in our backyard. I hope these other cats wouldn’t scare our cat away.
That is not uncommon, have you seen your cat?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. My neighbor saw her Wednesday evening around 11:45 pm but I haven’t seen her since then
As we discussed take up the food, unless you are trapping *then only the small amount you put in trap* Keep calling her. Go out and look under and in things with a flashlight when it's dark.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news for another cat owner…I mentioned that putting the food out in traps was attracting other cats to the backyard. Two cats in particular. Well yesterday I was out back and heard a cat crying. I hoped it was mine but I knew it wasn’t. The cat appeared and I put some food out for it to start eating. A neighbor must have saw and heard it and came over and said this was their missing cat and that it has been gone for 2 weeks! The cat walked over to him and he picked it up. I’m glad my situation was able to reunite a cat with its owner. Just wish it were my cat! And the fact that this cat was missing for 2 weeks still gives me hope.