My cat gave birth to one kitten 7 hours ago and now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so glad you are running out to get kitten formula. You are doing an amazing job and so happy to hear you will also be taking in and neutering her good friend. He can be neutered any time now, and know that he needs to be kept from her for at least 2 weeks post-neuter for his sperm to die. She can go into heat and conceive any time (cats are induced ovulators), so do keep them apart for a good while, especially while she has newborns.

I’m not judging - just happy you are a good cat mommy! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so glad you are running out to get kitten formula. You are doing an amazing job and so happy to hear you will also be taking in and neutering her good friend. He can be neutered any time now, and know that he needs to be kept from her for at least 2 weeks post-neuter for his sperm to die. She can go into heat and conceive any time (cats are induced ovulators), so do keep them apart for a good while, especially while she has newborns.

I’m not judging - just happy you are a good cat mommy! 😊

I have felt so irresponsible since I realized she was pregnant. I am in my 40's and literally my entire life my animals have been fixed and we are currently a multi cat household with all being fixed but her.

I will add that the contraction movements seem to happen also when the kittens push on her stomach when nursing. I was just watching them and her. Her belly must be super tender right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You sound awesome!

She sounds done, just sore. Poor mommy. She’ll feel better in about 3 days. Get her the formula. It helps. She may spot blood or pinkish discharge for a week to ten days as her uterus heals. It’s normal.

I have 8 cats - I get being an animal lover and all mine are saved strays! Hang in there!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much! We are definitely watching her. I hope it is just another kitten coming or placenta and nothing life threatening. When I touch her belly or press gently on it to see if feel anything else is when she has the hardest contractions. My poor girl has been through such a long journey. I just want this process to be over for her. :(
SArthur advices are very good. I want to add, goats milk or even full fat yoghurt is too a working calcium source, if she takes this. And cheaper tha KMR.
And yeah, you can use goats mils as emergency kmr, if such a situation would arise.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will add that the contraction movements seem to happen also when the kittens push on her stomach when nursing. I was just watching them and her. Her belly must be super tender right now.
Yes, kittens nursing helps the contractions on. Its sometimes even used to get contractions going; setting on a kitten to nurse...

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luna gave birth to another baby in the middle of the night. She now has what looks like 2 sets of twins. She isn't showing anymore signs of contractions this morning so hopefully this is done. I don't feel anything else in her belly. Attached is a picture of the new little family.

Attachments

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to keep the thread updated the little baby in the picture above passed away today. Luna wouldn't have anything to do with it. She kept swiping it away. We also found another baby in the litter box. This one was a lot bigger than the others and we believe it was stillborn. She had covered it up so we didn't see it until we were getting her litter box cleaned out. We believe that one is the one she struggled with for so long.

We are hoping the other 3 will make it. She wants lots of love from us and we have to guide her back to her babies. When we show her what to do she does it but if her daddy leaves the room she gets very upset and has to really be coaxed back to her babies. He is her chosen human. She is a good girl but very spoiled and dependent on us. I am not sure she even knows what happened to her..lol. We will do the best we can to show her.

If there is anything we should be looking for in the babies to make sure they are getting proper care please feel free to share.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is anything we should be looking for in the babies to make sure they are getting proper care please feel free to share.
If they, when they aren't nursing are sleeping in a pile, (more or less) and they are gaining weight, things are good.

If on the other hand they crawl around and cry when they aren't nursing and aren't gaining weight, these are signs of trouble.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is still one crawling all around her and not staying with the other 2. Should I be checking that one for something? It is crawling on her head, back and under her legs but not with the other 2 nursing.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See if you can place it with the other two and latch on :crossfingers:

I tried that but it wants to sleep off to itself. Right now it is under her tail asleep while the other 2 look like they are boxing each other over the same nipple.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to weigh them? Watch that one in particular.

I only have a scale that will weigh oz. I don't have a gram scale. Should we start trying to feed it formula or keep trying to get it to latch to her? She is not pushing it away but she does get freaked out by it when it climbs on her head making her want to knock the other 2 off.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to post one last update to this thread for future readers. Luna appears to be doing great! That is the good news. The bad news is that out of 5 babies the last one went to the rainbow bridge this morning. Luna got to where she appeared not to produce enough milk and wasn't interested in the kittens anymore. We tried syringe and bottle feeding every 2-3 hours all throughout the day and night, keeping them warm on a heating pad covered in blankets and feeding them a little honey every day but it didn't work. We are very sad and sorry that Luna endured such a hard labor with nothing to show for it. She is much more loving than usual and the only thing that I can see any different for her is that one nipples has a red tip on it like she bit it. This just popped up this morning so I am watching it to see if it goes away and if she returns to her usual temperament (which is not the nicest kitty..lol).

I will be calling in the morning to set up her spaying appointment as we will not be going through this again. Thank you all for the help and advice with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.