My cat died a horrible death.. can anyone tell me the cause

susanmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I awoke to him meowing in a distressed manner, like a cat does before vomiting. He was dragging his hind legs on the floor, trying to get to the kitchen. Froth appeared at sides of mouth, and he was trying to vomit. His screaming was very distressing as I tried to call the vet. I felt so helpless. Then he convulsed on the floor and died. It all happened over ten minutes.
I am in a state of shock. His appetite had been good, and he showed no signs of ill health.
I am grief stricken, especially as he died such an agonising death.
Has anyone else's cat died this way. What was the cause? Poisoning? Heart failure?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat an outdoor / indoor cat? Could it be he was poisoned outside?

I am very sorry for your loss, and in such horrible way. I have no words.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss but it could have been any number of sudden illnesses or health issues that caused your cat's passing. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time he had bloodwork or an exam? Were you able to reach the vet and, if so, what were their thoughts regarding his death? My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no way for anyone online to pinpoint the cause of your cat's death. Your vet could do a necropsy which may show the cause and give you some closure.

I'm sorry your cat passed in such a way :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your sympathy. It is good to be among people who understand the grief of losing a member of the family, which he was.
He was a stray cat. I engage in trap, neuter, release for stray and feral cats. He was HUGE, very furry like a toy and loved being cuddled. He was indoors with us for a year and loved being loved and cuddled. He was obviously used to human contact. He was an amazing addition to the family and protected my blind cat from our bullying cat. Very cool cat. Every night he would re-unite with one of his offspring, Poppy and lure her into either mine or my sisters bedroom for the night. they would part company in the early morning. She will be looking for him tonight and that breaks my heart. He was part of a colony. The mother still comes around, and two of the kittens. I had them all spayed/neutered.
Looking back I think he has been unwell. We thought he was very docile but it could have been lethargy. He was young but had yellow teeth and bad breath. I think he may have had FIV and died from end stages ,or cardiomyopathy.
I did not want to have an autopsy done.
I had another very special feral cat who was also docile and came indoors probably to spend his final months in comfort. He also had horrible breath. When a test revealed he was very unwell from FIV, I had him put to sleep. Another heartbreaker.
I guess one needs to be tough to look after feral cats, but I am not.
Of the six we have lost over the years they have all been males. I have to admit some are extra special, like Apollo.
Oh God.. Poppy has just come through my window looking for him.😢

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your cat. Just think too that all that he went through does not have to necessarily mean he was in great pain. Some of what you saw could be tied to his shock at the change in himself. Tbh, by the time the convulsing happened he was probably totally unaware mentally and incapable of comprehending anything. I know, still so traumatic, nonetheless.

As far as poor little Poppy, can you get any helpful tips from this TCS article?
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

susanmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss but it could have been any number of sudden illnesses or health issues that caused your cat's passing. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time he had bloodwork or an exam? Were you able to reach the vet and, if so, what were their thoughts regarding his death? My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:
Thank you for your kind words.
He was dead within 10-15 minutes. We didn't make it in. When I rang back to ask the possible cause of death, after describing the symptoms, they would not say without doing an autopsy.

susanmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your cat. Just think too that all that he went through does not have to necessarily mean he was in great pain. Some of what you saw could be tied to his shock at the change in himself. Tbh, by the time the convulsing happened he was probably totally unaware mentally and incapable of comprehending anything. I know, still so traumatic, nonetheless.

As far as poor little Poppy, can you get any helpful tips from this TCS article?
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles
Poppy is 100% feral. She will sneak into the bedrooms at night ( mine has my own cat's food inside) and not show fear at a distance, but will not allow me to touch her. I Have left The box I placed Appollo in after he died, outside for her to sniff and know he died. I have also left food on my windowsill and an old cardigan that has his smell on it, to offer some comfort. I would Love to cuddle her, but alas it is not her thing.
I read the article. It is very good but more applicable if Poppy was domesticated.
Many Thanks

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were his back paws cold and pale/blue? Sounds like it could've been a saddle thrombus (aortic thromboembolism), which is caused by heart disease, which often is undiagnosed.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat go out convulsing and dying in my arms.😢 However, he was diagnosed with a mass on his heart. We did what we could for him, and would have had him put down the minute he was getting close to that time or his quality of life went downhill. The day he died was like any other- he ate well, was behaving as he normally behaved, and then all of a sudden it happened. We like to think that when a cat gets sick their are obvious signs that we can react to, but that isn't always the case. Our cat hid his illness well until he had a very bad episode where we took him to the vet and found out his diagnosis where he was given a few months to live(but actually lived to 5 months after the diagnosis) and then one sad day he passed away.

Don't blame yourself. Cats are very good at hiding illnesses. Animals go into shock when they die, so he probably didn't suffer like you believe he did. I hope you can find the cause of death, It could be quite a number of things, but to know for sure an Autopsy is in order.

There is the Crossing The Bridge forum here on TCS where you can put up a post for your dearly departed cat and speak to other grieving cat parents and the kind people who visit that forum. I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. It takes a while to get over the shock, but it will get less painful over time. Take it one day at a time and do not fall into the "what if" trap and make yourself feel terrible. This is not your fault, please don't torment yourself. 🙂

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have also left food on my windowsill and an old cardigan that has his smell on it, to offer some comfort.
Another way to extend the life of Appollo's scent is to either cut up the cardigan into pieces, and/or use other materials he has his smell on them, and bag them in airtight baggies. It doesn't last forever, but for a longer period of time than being left out in the open air. I did that with some of my dad's gloves that he wore when he was ill and was so cold, and they did keep his scent a bit longer. My sister also did this with our mom's pillow/pillowcase. I only suggest this because it might help with Poppy eventually realizing, through his physical absence, that he is no longer around - but it might give you time to figure out how you can replace those comforts on some other level for her.

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I awoke to him meowing in a distressed manner, like a cat does before vomiting. He was dragging his hind legs on the floor, trying to get to the kitchen. Froth appeared at sides of mouth, and he was trying to vomit. His screaming was very distressing as I tried to call the vet. I felt so helpless. Then he convulsed on the floor and died. It all happened over ten minutes.
I am in a state of shock. His appetite had been good, and he showed no signs of ill health.
I am grief stricken, especially as he died such an agonising death.
Has anyone else's cat died this way. What was the cause? Poisoning? Heart failure?

susanmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Were his back paws cold and pale/blue? Sounds like it could've been a saddle thrombus (aortic thromboembolism), which is caused by heart disease, which often is undiagnosed.
@silentmeowlook mentioned this also.
I tried to do cpr on him but had no idea how on a cat. I must check if there is such a thing for cats. Fluid came out of his mouth so possibly pulmonary oedema which ties in with the cardiomyopathy and saddle thrombosis.
I remember when I had him neutered, I asked the vet if his tummy was distended. She laughed and said he is just a 'very full cat'. They all Loved him and didn't pick up on anything sinister health-wise. That was 12months ago.
Either way, I have learned that I must get full blood tests done when I next have an adult feral cat neutered/spayed.

Thank You all. I did not expect such a response and am very grateful for your kindness.

Jwitmer6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your sympathy. It is good to be among people who understand the grief of losing a member of the family, which he was.
He was a stray cat. I engage in trap, neuter, release for stray and feral cats. He was HUGE, very furry like a toy and loved being cuddled. He was indoors with us for a year and loved being loved and cuddled. He was obviously used to human contact. He was an amazing addition to the family and protected my blind cat from our bullying cat. Very cool cat. Every night he would re-unite with one of his offspring, Poppy and lure her into either mine or my sisters bedroom for the night. they would part company in the early morning. She will be looking for him tonight and that breaks my heart. He was part of a colony. The mother still comes around, and two of the kittens. I had them all spayed/neutered.
Looking back I think he has been unwell. We thought he was very docile but it could have been lethargy. He was young but had yellow teeth and bad breath. I think he may have had FIV and died from end stages ,or cardiomyopathy.
I did not want to have an autopsy done.
I had another very special feral cat who was also docile and came indoors probably to spend his final months in comfort. He also had horrible breath. When a test revealed he was very unwell from FIV, I had him put to sleep. Another heartbreaker.
I guess one needs to be tough to look after feral cats, but I am not.
Of the six we have lost over the years they have all been males. I have to admit some are extra special, like Apollo.
Oh God.. Poppy has just come through my window looking for him.😢

Jwitmer6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, Susan. The almost identical thing happened to my cat in the early hours two days ago. It is such a helpless feeling and I can’t stop feeling like there was more I could’ve done. I saw your post was in May, how are you doing now and would you happen to have any tips to make the grieving process easier?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is such a thing as CPR for kitties but in this case I think it was better just to be there with him. He was so very lucky to have you to love him. I am so sorry for your loss. Keep working with Poppy. She will know of your shared loss. Putting things with his scent in a trail to lead her in can help. Cats are creatures of habit and even her own scent should help to keep her coming back. Wherever they slept, keep a spot for her. Our hearts are with you all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
any tips to make the grieving process easier?
There is the Crossing the Bridge forum , where members post memorials in honor of their angel kitties. You might consider posting there ;
Crossing the Bridge

In the meanwhile there's this;

I will lend to you a kitten, God said,
for you to love while it lives, and mourn when it's dead.
Maybe for 12 or 14 years, or maybe 2 or 3,
but will you, 'till I call them back, take care of them for me?
They'll bring their charms to gladden you, and should their stay be brief,
you'll always have their memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise they will stay for all from Earth return,
but there are lessons taught below I want this kitten to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
and from the folk's that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give it all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my kitten home again?
My heart replied, "My Lord, Thy Will Be Done",
for all the joys this kitten brings the risk of grief I'll run.
We'll shelter it with tenderness, we'll love it while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But should you call it back much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
If by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve,
Then in memory of it whom we loved, please help us while we grieve.
When our cherished kitten departs this world of strife,
Please send yet another needing soul for us to love all it's life.

Author Unknown