My Cat Can't Walk

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So last night my mother let my cat out. For some reason, he never returned. All night he stayed out and we guessed he was at it again fighting other cats. Then, this morning came by and she let him in. He was soaking wet, as there was freezing rain. Then, he didn't eat, he just went to a spot he felt was comfortable, walking as slowly as he could get. He sat down, made a big howl, and fell asleep. My mother put a blanket over him, making him growl. He doesn't walk, isn't eating and is acting very strange. I'm wondering if he's going to make it...?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he is either too cold or too hurt to move. Ideally, he should see a vet as soon as possible. Less ideal, is keep him indoor and allow him to warm up slowly. Don't blow hot air on him or anything, but provide him with a dry spot in a warmer part of the house. Also provide him plenty of food and water; a wet food would be ideal since it provides both hydration and calories but the bigger thing is to make sure he is eating.

If he doesn't start appearing better within a few hours he needs to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. He now walks, and we do not have wet food. He is still not able to eat, and he stumbles a lot while he walks. When ever I touch his shoulder blades, he gets into this huge tantrum and bites me. We have had this problem before, and we could not pick him up. We are used to this, as he loves to fight with other cats. We are thinking of bringing him to the vet, as this is very much needed. Also, he is an outdoor cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know how it is to have a cat who fights. My cat when I was a kid fought all the time and frequently had injuries. If your cat isn't neutered, getting him neutered will help reduce the amount of fighting some. Since he is sensitive around the shoulder blades he likely is injured there, which you probably already guessed. If you have any water packed tuna or plain unseasoned cooked chicken that may be something he would take to substitute for wet food. Right now, baring a vet, the most important factor is getting him to eat so his body has the fuel to heal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I was typing the exact same time as Kieka Kieka and we said much the same :) Here's my take on the situation, I'm not a vet, but he's hurting which isn't good at all and the not eating is really not good. Is he neutered? Please consider that as well, because all this fighting and pain and possible infections is very bad and is shortening his life. Thank you for coming here! You could see if he'll try goat milk, cooked or hardboiled egg both white and yolk, homemade pedialyte, sardines if you have them, tuna if you have it, cooked chicken with no seasonings.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes get him neutered. The big fighting Toms around my place completely ignore my neutered boys, and they were fighting with them constantly before. Your boy is either very injured from a recent fight, could have even been hit by a car, or is developing an abscess from a previous fight that hasn't shown up until now, that makes them walk stiffly and not want to be touched. Look for any swelling. It will eventually burst and spray blood and pus around. Then it will slowly heal. IF it is an abscess. He should be seen by a vet to determine what it is. If he is getting slowly better that is good, but he must eat in the next 24 hours or he could develop a bad liver, cats do very quickly. Surely you have something he can eat. All the luck, please keep us posted!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our big fighting male we had when I was a teen (yes, he was neutered. Still liked to fight though) once came home like that. He didn't want anyone to touch him, and was covered in pine sap and needles. We assumed he got in a fight with some animal inside a pine tree and fell out, hitting all the branches, or something like that. He made himself comfortable in one of the cat beds, we put some food and water and a litterbox within a few feet of him, he didn't leave that area for 3 days, and then he was better. But he was eating and drinking, which is why we didn't take him to the vet.

If your boy starts to eat I could say that he's just bruised and should recover on his own, but if he's not eating or drinking you have to get him to the vet. Try cooking up some chicken (no seasonings) for him, see if he'll eat that. If not, definitely vet visit time.

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To your questions: he is not neutered, and he has never been to the vet, as he is a stray. He is not eating, but my dad just gave him something he is not supposed to have. He is now in serious danger of dying, and my mother is coming in an hour to take him to the vet.

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, he has this huge bruise near his shoulder blade.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bruise is likely where he got hurt or an abscess developing under the skin. Hopefully everything goes good at the vet. :vibes:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did your dad give him?

Agree with all of the above. Vet visit needed immediately, and he needs to be neutered if you want to help him lead a happy and healthy life in the future.

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My father gave him Acetaminophen. He then said that is sometimes fatal to cats.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats should NEVER have drugs for humans. That is toxic.

Call poison control now and see what they advise while you wait to go to the vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Vet now. That's all I can say. 30 minutes is all it takes so the quicker you get to the vet the better (although I've heard of survival in two hours with IV treatment). Acetaminophen works through the liver and cats livers are not designed the same ways humans are. Which is why they are so seriously affected by it. It can shut down their livers and harms red blood cells to the point that oxygen can't be transported through their bodies. Even one full tablet is a fatal dose for cats and vets don't give it to cats for that reason.

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called them and then they switched me to a pro vet. Then I heard a 50 dollar fee, so I cancelled the call. I hope my little guy can make it

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sick and I'm only 13. My parents would be FURIOUS if that happened.

SamTheSTray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My grandpa is taking him NOW. He said I shouldn't come, that if he dies, I'm not ready for that kind of stress.