My Cat Always Has To Sniff My Drink Before I Take A Sip.

Catmom1983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this weird thing where she has to sniff my drink, before I even get to drink it,I don't know why she does it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's interested in case it's something she might like. I have two who insist on sniffing EVERYTHING we are eating and drinking, and then they go about their business. I think it becomes habit. If they are interested they will sit there and stare,until you finally give them some. Seldom happens, but they always are there. My Casper will insist on sniffing but has almost NEVER ate any people food, ( I think 3 times in 10 years)so I really don't know why he bothers, unless he knows it gets him attention, he is great at knocking things off of tables and sitting on your chest and staring until he gets his way too. Just chalk it up to another thing about cats that we will probably never understand, but it builds another memory for us to remember them by, and is a endearing trait that not all of them have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also follows me around like a dog does,and will swat at my hand when I go to refill her food bowl.

crazycatlass

Professional Cat Furniture
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she has a lot of character! ;)
Just pointing out a more humorous spin on this: she's your faithful shadow, and so may have taken it upon herself to be your personal 'drink inspector.' At one time, royalty had personal food testers - a person who tried their food first to see if it was poisoned. In this day and age, you have a loyal cat volunteering to do the same for you! How lucky you are! :D
On the other hand, some animals, especially cats, are drawn to the breath of people with diabetes. Our two cats are constantly sticking their faces up in mine and sniffing my breath. Until a vet friend of ours pointed this out, we had no idea! Apparently they like the smell or something...at least if your kitty's huffing your drink, she's not trying to inspect your tonsils, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol right,I'm glad she doesn't do that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is looking for something she likes. One of my cats adored coffee. She would sit near my cup and when I wasn't looking put in her paw in for a dip and suck.