My Bengal/siamese Kitten With Persistent Coughing/wheezing After Eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it would be helpful to have more information on how to go about allergy testing for cats. I guess allergies are always individual, so testing really always needs to be tailored to the cat. Heck, some cats can't eat cooked chicken, but can eat raw without issues. Bizarre :)
Well, when you're wrong, you're wrong LOL. I just discovered Richard definitely does not have a chicken allergy or any food allergy for that matter (that we can identify). His coughing, etc. seems to happen very sporadically and without an obvious cause. Usually after he eats still but I fed him chicken last night and this morning and he did not cough, did not vomit, and was his usual self. We are still waiting for the nasal/conjunctiva PCR Panel to come back.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, when you're wrong, you're wrong LOL. I just discovered Richard definitely does not have a chicken allergy or any food allergy for that matter (that we can identify). His coughing, etc. seems to happen very sporadically and without an obvious cause. Usually after he eats still but I fed him chicken last night and this morning and he did not cough, did not vomit, and was his usual self. We are still waiting for the nasal/conjunctiva PCR Panel to come back.
I saw that. It's very good news. Allergies can be frustrating to deal with, so I'm glad you don't need to worry about them :)

Hopefully these issues are something that he grows out of. I remember my own bengal's first year of life he was always coming down with something (herpes, UTI, snotty nose with bacterial infection, some kind of unidentified flu). He does have a few medical issues as an adult, but nothing like his first year. At the time I found it helpful to remember that kittens are basically little kids, and little kids get sick. As their immune system develops though they do eventually grow out of a lot of those issues. It helped me put all the vet visits into perspective.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw that. It's very good news. Allergies can be frustrating to deal with, so I'm glad you don't need to worry about them :)

Hopefully these issues are something that he grows out of. I remember my own bengal's first year of life he was always coming down with something (herpes, UTI, snotty nose with bacterial infection, some kind of unidentified flu). He does have a few medical issues as an adult, but nothing like his first year. At the time I found it helpful to remember that kittens are basically little kids, and little kids get sick. As their immune system develops though they do eventually grow out of a lot of those issues. It helped me put all the vet visits into perspective.
I have such a hard time remembering this sometimes, so thanks for the reminder and reassurance! He is totally still a little kid and eventually he will get well and stay well for awhile. I talk with my bengal and I tell him all the time how hard I am working to keep him healthy and that he is lucky I love him so much to go through all this stress :) He normally just responds with "meow" and gives me a headbutt.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So as I have said previously, this story just keeps getting weirder! This weekend starting Friday night ALL FOUR of my babies decided they no longer liked their Fancy Feast food. I found this strange because it was all 4 simultaneously. I tried numerous other pates, more expensive, less expensive, and I even tried fish flavors just to get some food in them! They ended up eating some chunky and flaked flavors in gravy from numerous different brands and then they stopped eating that too.....I was at a complete loss for ideas. However, Richard's nose was more runny this weekend ironically right after we submitted the labs. I was also hearing more sneezing from all of the babies. Koda, is a food junkie and will eat anything even if its been on the floor for hours. So when he refused food I knew something was wrong. Turns out they all might be getting sick with what Richard has. We did not isolate them because it would be extremely difficult and stressful for Richard the dramatic bengal to be in isolation. I had to resort to feeding human tuna pouches (in water) all day Saturday and Sunday. I was frustrated but I needed them to eat something and stay hydrated. Daniel is still only 9 weeks old so he can't go too long without food. They are not showing any other symptoms other than some periodic clear eye discharge. Just like what Richard had a sample taken last week. Hopefully once the lab results come back we will have some idea of how to treat this effectively. Here's to hoping those lab results have the answer we are looking for! :wavey:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oddly, the fact that they are all showing some of the same symptoms may end up helping a bit, since it now seems this is NOT going to be an allergy of some sort! Keep us posted. This is just so ODD.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oddly, the fact that they are all showing some of the same symptoms may end up helping a bit, since it now seems this is NOT going to be an allergy of some sort! Keep us posted. This is just so ODD.
PRAISE TO THE HEAVENS WE FOUND THE PROBLEM

So the vet just called me and we talked for awhile. The Respiratory PCR lab results came back negative for everything except for Clamydophila felis infection (positive). This may sound weird but I was so happy to hear this. We wanted something to treat and we wanted to avoid more tests if we could. The vet I talked with on the phone was not the same guy we met with for the actual appointment. Fortunately I had done my research and actually printed up a little packet for the major 5 infectious diseases that the PCR panel looks for. I educated myself on the symptoms, outlook, and treatment for each. The vet said this type of infection is treatable and can be totally eradicated with an antibiotic called Doxycycline which I had read was the most effective treatment for this infection. Good thing I did research because he wanted to give this to Richard and none of my other cats. I asked him if we should treat all 4 to be safe and he agreed. Anyone have experience with this infection and this antibiotic? He said it comes in a capsule/pill form and I just mix it into their food once daily for 3-4 weeks. Does that sound reasonable?

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
'Tis a puzzle, indeed. I'll be waiting with baited breath for the outcome on this one!
We found the problem and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. 3 months of vet calls and appointments and tests and stress and worry. And before that it was our poor Charlie who passed away at 7 months due to congenital growth problems. So I have been interacting with vets for so long I don't know what it's like to go a week without calling them. I know we still have to go through treatment and everything but I feel so much better about the care plan now that we have a diagnosis to work with. :) (in case you missed it I posted an update to a reply from a different member on this thread).

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We found the problem and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. 3 months of vet calls and appointments and tests and stress and worry. And before that it was our poor Charlie who passed away at 7 months due to congenital growth problems. So I have been interacting with vets for so long I don't know what it's like to go a week without calling them. I know we still have to go through treatment and everything but I feel so much better about the care plan now that we have a diagnosis to work with. :) (in case you missed it I posted an update to a reply from a different member on this thread).
And one more question, I have a 9 week old kitten weighing just under 3 lbs. The vet said he would only need half a capsule. Is this true or should I give him the full dose?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so happy to see you finally have a diagnosis, and that it's treatable. Fingers crossed all the cats will be well again soon. :crossfingers:

About the dosage for the kitten, at his young age/weight, I'd go with what your vet recommends.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so happy to see you finally have a diagnosis, and that it's treatable. Fingers crossed all the cats will be well again soon. :crossfingers:

About the dosage for the kitten, at his young age/weight, I'd go with what your vet recommends.
That's what I figured, thanks! I just want to be sure we approach this correctly the first time so we can be DONE :)

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like you are on your way! And yes, with the age of the kitten, I'd certainly not exceed the recommended doseage amount.

Let us know how things progress!
So far so good with giving the meds! Today was day 2 of 21. Richard did cough this morning a little bit, it was a longer coughing fit but he got over it and started playing with his brothers. He actually hasn't coughed in 3 or 4 days so it was odd that he coughed this morning. Is coughing typical of cats infected with Clamydophila felis? I didn't see that on the list of symptoms when looking online.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Its full name is chlamydophila pneumoniea, and it does, in fact, cause pneumonia in humans, so coughing is not unexpected, I would think. Main thing is, you are treating it properly now!