My Baby Is Hardly Moving.

Aundreya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m worried sick about my cat. He hasn’t moved but once today. The other two times was me moving him. I noticed yesterday he wasn’t as alert as he usually is. He hadn’t tried to go outside or play or chase the other cats at all. Today he is much worse. He hasn’t moved all day. I’d put him somewhere to see if I could get him to walk around and he’d just plop down. He seems to be running a fever as hes very warm. He’s eaten only once today and as far as ive noticed he hasnt drank or used the litter box. What should I do? I’m so worried. I really want to take him to the vet but I can’t afford it unless its life or death. and even if it is life or death it may mean not being able to eat for a few days. What do I do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A fever of only 1 degree over the normal body temperature is enough to indicate that your cat is very sick.

If he hasn't eaten, drank or used the litter box it's a sure sign that something is very wrong.

Yes, please take him to a vet. Is your regular vet open now? Is there an emergency vet you can call?

Please don't wait, this sounds like an emergency.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately I personally think you have to bring him to the vet as soon as you possibly can. Are there no state-run or government vet clinics there, where costs are free or much lower than the average private vets?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many times the symptoms you describe indicate an infection. He most likely will be given an antibiotic shot and a steroid injection, you can request them if the vet thinks they are needed. You can set up a payment schedule. I think you need to know you did everything you could, and that is priceless. Please take him in.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
To echo what other members have said, do not wait, this is an emergency that requires immediate veterinary medical attention. Please contact your vet ASAP. The longer you wait the more dire the situation will be for your cat.

Here is an Article about what to do if you can't afford vet care, scroll down to the section about funds that can help you pay for vet bills by state:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Please keep us posted on your cat's progress. :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And for goodness' sake, when you have a moment, let us know how your cat is doing!

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please, please take him in. Something is definitely wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aundreya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took him to the vet. He has mycoplasma felis. Does anyone have any experience with this disease...Is it deadly?
I’m worried sick about my cat. He hasn’t moved but once today. The other two times was me moving him. I noticed yesterday he wasn’t as alert as he usually is. He hadn’t tried to go outside or play or chase the other cats at all. Today he is much worse. He hasn’t moved all day. I’d put him somewhere to see if I could get him to walk around and he’d just plop down. He seems to be running a fever as hes very warm. He’s eaten only once today and as far as ive noticed he hasnt drank or used the litter box. What should I do? I’m so worried. I really want to take him to the vet but I can’t afford it unless its life or death. and even if it is life or death it may mean not being able to eat for a few days. What do I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aundreya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on two medications but still wont eat. I gave him cat milk and water with a dropper.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your baby. I found a thread on this site about mycoplasma-felis that might help:

Mycoplasma felis

Sadly, most of the members of the above thread do not seem to still be active. I will continue to look for more information. And, I hope other active members on this site will see your post soon and have some helpful information.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's absolutely essential that you get him to eat. If you can syringe cat milk or water into him you should try and do the same with some wet food. You can use a thicker syringe, without the needle, and give him some of the soup type cat foods. You can also mix some of the pate type canned foods with warm water and give him that.

Hills do a very good canned food that is easy to syringe into sick cats.

Hill's® Prescription Diet® i/d® Feline - canned

If he is on medication he should recover quickly, but you really need to force him to eat something.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Kitten Milk Replacement, the powdered form. Add that to the food you are syringe feeding him.

You might ask the vet 1) if he is infectious to other cats, and if so, 2) is there a vaccine available.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The trick with syringe feeding is to make the pate cat food (or unseasoned meat baby food) into a loose slurry, draw it into the syringe, then place the tip of the syringe between the cheek and the gum. SLOWLY depress the plunger, a little at a time, allowing time for swallowing between each small injection. Syringe feeding has kept many a cat alive until they could recover. You can use water, pedialyte, and liquid KMR (mixed from the powder) to dilute the food and make the slurry.