Mycoplasma felis

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finally figured out what is wrong with Kiwi and Kizzy

Thanks to a member on here, who posted to get the URI testing done instead of just treating for generic URI, I got the testing done...

The test itself was NOT cheap by any means, (bout $200 total which included the blood draw, throat swab and eye swab + the vet office visit) but the results were in within 24hrs.

So Kiwi definately has Mycoplasma felis.... which does not respond to antibiotics such as clavamox(sp) and is now on Clindamycin which I've never heard of.

We're also treating Kizzy, and yes this part is "guessing or assuming" on both myself and my vets thoughts. Kizzy has battled URI after URI after URI.... snot flingin URIs. His brother, Kiwi, also came to me with URI.... went away after a course of antibiotics (which it wasn't the antibiotics, but time and his own system fighting it) and then got another one. We're assuming they both have the same problem: MF.

I was pretty confident it wasn't herpesvirus, and was on the line about it being calicivirus.... I am so glad I got it tested, and am very thankful that somewhere here mentioned it. ( I think it was Stephanietx that mentioned it, THANK YOU )

MF takes approx 4-6wks of the right meds to fully clear up from what the vet said.

My questions:

- anyone experienced Mycoplasma felis?
- anyone have experiences with clindamycin?

(my vet said the the medicine tastes quite bitter in liquid form and recommended the capsules, which I have. Last night I broke them open and onto wet food.... the kitties could obviously taste them. This morning I threw the capsule into wet food and they did eat them, but I had to supervise and make sure they ate them before the gelcap dissolved)

- do pill pockets work for capsules???

- if I was to just pill them, would it be ok? The capsule is big but not that big.... I'd say just over 1cm. I fear it getting stuck in their throat if I accidently put it in cross wise.

My thoughts:

I really wish I would have had this test done 6-8mos ago with Kizzy.... treating it with the RIGHT antibiotics would have helped so much.

I would highly highly recommend if your cat suffers repeated URI's that you run the full panel URI testing....sure it is not cheap, but it is worth it in the long run so you are not giving antibiotics that don't work, assuming its herpes (since thats one of the common causes), etc.

It is worth the $ to KNOW what is wrong with your kitty and to treat it appropriately.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief to finally find out what is really going on with your kids!!

Clindomycin - never gave it to a cat but I was on it for a long time with the infection in my thumb last year. Each antibiotic can target different strains of bacteria and that would explain why Clavamox doesn't work and clindo does. Clavamox, IMHO, is over prescribed with cats.

I will tell you this. Long term use of clindo did mess with my skin. Some of the bacteria it targets are useful in that system (and probably others in your body), so while it can help to control the bacteria that has run amock, it can also start to kill the beneficial bacteria. I was on and off of it for about 2 months and stopped taking it because of what it started to do to me. My skin became extremely dry and started to crack. It became so brittle that I actually sliced open my foot putting on a pair of crocks. Crocks don't have sharp edges. Clindo changed the bacterial balance in my skin that much, and I do recall that my blood pressure shot up really high after a while. I suspect it had other effects that weren't as obvious.

But the stuff worked for what I needed it to work on, so it was worth taking it. Keep a close eye on them while they are on it, and make sure that they get a lot of fluids. You may want a vet check up after a few weeks to monitor their heart rate and other things. You probably have nothing to fear and my experience could have been a fluke - I am allergic to most antibiotics after all.

For administering the pills: I find that mixing meds in their food may not allow them to get all of it. When I switched Stumpy over from feeding his meds in his food to directly giving him the pill, he did better. Get yourself a pill gun so that the capsule doesn't go in cross wise into their throats - you can control the angle with a pill gun. My vet just hands them out. Muddy was on capsules for a while and the pill gun really made it easy.

And I just googled the disease and found this:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...us_anemia.html
If hemotropic mycoplasma infection is suspected, initiating treatment is probably a good idea as treatment is much easier than diagnosis. All mycoplasma infections are susceptible to the use of tetracycline. In cats, the derivative doxycycline tends to be most easily dosed as it comes in an oral suspension. Tablets must be used with caution as they can stick in a cat's esophagus, cause irritation, and scarring. The quinolone class of antibiotics (enrofloxacin etc.) are also effective against hemotropic mycoplasmas. Three weeks of medication is needed to adequately suppress the organism.

Killing the mycoplasma is only part of the therapy, however; it is the host's own immune system which is removing the red blood cells and this must be stopped. Prednisone or similar steroid hormone is typically used to suppress this part of the immune system so that the red blood cells are not removed as quickly. Very sick cats will probably require blood transfusions to get through the brunt of the infection. Happily, prognosis is fair if the diagnosis is made in time as cats generally respond well and quickly to treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thx Amy, I was able to find the med on that site:
http://marvistavet.com/html/clindamy...ochloride.html

and will look for a pill popper. (so far they did eat the entire capsule in wet food, as in not opened, I stuck the entire thing in their food)

I need to clarify though, the info you posted in not the strain of mycoplasma that my kitties have. mine have mycoplasma "felis". It doesn't cause anemia from what I've read:

Mycoplasma species are part of the normal flora of the conjunctiva and upper respiratory tract of cats. However, some of these mycoplasmas can cause feline diseases such as feline conjunctivitis, lower respiratory tract infections, and polyarthritis. Among them, Mycoplasma felis has been shown to be one of the probable causes of feline conjunctivitis and respiratory diseases
from http://www.zoologix.com/dogcat/Datas...lasmaFelis.htm

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I need to clarify though, the info you posted in not the strain of mycoplasma that my kitties have. mine have mycoplasma "felis". It doesn't cause anemia from what I've read:
Oops, sorry, my bad!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Oops, sorry, my bad!
no prob, it just scared me when I read some of the info.... had me very confused untill I noticed the different name.

Anyways, I got a pill popper (interesting thing) and bought some pill pockets to try the kitties with
(trying the pockets first).

I haven't noticed any upset tummies yet..... hopefully it stays that way.

I am so
that this is the end of the URIs.

Kitchi has never caught one....which surprises me... the vet said although this isn't spread through airborne droplets like viral stuff are, its spread by contact (mutual grooming for one) and the infected cats should be separated.

Guess that lil boy has a strong enough system

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy you have a positive diagnosis now, thanks to someone in this forum!

Tolly takes clindimycin when he has to have dental work, the brand name is antirobe. It is a strong medicine, but he has never had any trouble with it. (He cannot take clavamox.)

I prefer capsules, actually I keep a store of empty gel caps for medicating my cats. I don't always need them, but they go down very easy, and the shells dissolve very quickly.

I think you are already skilled in pilling cats, but if you need tips, feel free to ask. I know I sound braggy, but I haven't met a cat yet that I can't pill. And I've met some beasts.

I hope your kitties are now on the road to permanent recovery.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woohoo!! So glad you have a diagnosis and have a plan in place to help them get well and stay well!! I know the testing isn't cheap, but to me, it's worth the peace of mind to KNOW what's going on rather than just shooting in the dark.

Is this the cat that the vet wanted to sedate and do x-rays on? I'm trying to figure this out.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Used Clindamycin for severe/chronic URIs before - seems to work well in many cases where baytril/orbax don't cut it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember you saying your kitties didn't seem to benefit from lysine - and there you have it - not herpes! Chris - you must be so relieved to know what the actual problem is!
I'm so glad it was worth the expense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your kitties are gonna thank you (well - not while on the meds, maybe
).

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I am so happy you have a positive diagnosis now, thanks to someone in this forum!

Tolly takes clindimycin when he has to have dental work, the brand name is antirobe. It is a strong medicine, but he has never had any trouble with it. (He cannot take clavamox.)

I prefer capsules, actually I keep a store of empty gel caps for medicating my cats. I don't always need them, but they go down very easy, and the shells dissolve very quickly.

I think you are already skilled in pilling cats, but if you need tips, feel free to ask. I know I sound braggy, but I haven't met a cat yet that I can't pill. And I've met some beasts.

I hope your kitties are now on the road to permanent recovery.
Hi....thanks for the comments.

My main fear is putting the pill in sideways and having it become caught in their throat.... Is that a rational fear? The capsules are the biggest pill I've had to give, and the first capsule.

I tried pill pockets... umm, NOPE. They don't like em (even without a pill in it).
I tried the pill popper, and it worked well with one kitty, not well with the other and I just ended up using my fingers to pill that kitty.

So any thoughts to ease my fear of them choking would be great

Originally Posted by stephanietx

Woohoo!! So glad you have a diagnosis and have a plan in place to help them get well and stay well!! I know the testing isn't cheap, but to me, it's worth the peace of mind to KNOW what's going on rather than just shooting in the dark.

Is this the cat that the vet wanted to sedate and do x-rays on? I'm trying to figure this out.
Nope.....(the only one of my cats we talked about sedating was for a blood draw on Kizzy).

Here's where you mentioned the testing: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193544

after that Kizzy cleared up and was fine....he'd still get mild URIs but no snot flinging. Kiwi is his brother, and when I first got him, he had URI (treated with convenia) and it seemed to go away.... recently he had a HUGE sneezing fit, and started with the boogers..... so I took him in on Thurs. He sneezed in the carrier and when I pulled him out there was a nice green one for my vet to see LOL.

My vet is good, but there are some things that they aren't used to doing, this URI testing panel was one of them. So I asked her about swabbing him and she had to look up the testing procedures.... then did a deep throat swab, eye swab, and blood test....results in 1-3 days... I got the results on Friday.

Right now we are treating both the brothers, even though I only had one cat tested. We are assuming since they are brothers, that came from the same house, and have had the same issues (watery eyes, sneezing, snot, on and off URI) that it is the same bacteria in both of them.

The last cat in my household (Kitchi) has shown no signs of URI....thank goodness.

I never thought I'd be so happy, but I really wish I would have done this months ago for Kizzy..... (though he hasn't has a bad URI in a while, it would have been nice to treat him with the right meds).

I am so glad you repeatedly pushed the testing
Heck, that thread was what, 6mos ago and it stuck in my head

Originally Posted by LDG

I remember you saying your kitties didn't seem to benefit from lysine - and there you have it - not herpes! Chris - you must be so relieved to know what the actual problem is!
I'm so glad it was worth the expense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your kitties are gonna thank you (well - not while on the meds, maybe
).
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am happy I was wrong in my assumption that it might be calicvirus

From what my vet said, 4-6wks of treatment should clear them up for good.

I think we all know how scared I get with URI's after Pax and bronchial pnemonia

I would highly recommend the URI panel for anyone who has repeated URI's

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had any problem with capsules of any size. The largest I've used in cats is the cosequin for cats and those capsules are 3/4 inch long. I poke it in toward the side of the mouth and as far back as I can in one movement, and down it goes.

If you are concerned you can always put a dot of something soft on kitty's nose or mouth immediately after giving the capsule. This causes them to lick and swallow.

I used mayonnaise (just a tiny dot) for this for most of my cats (when needed, they're so used to being medicated now, that no bribes are needed), as all my current cats love it, but with Ootay (rb 5/09) I always used a tiny drop of yogurt.

A spot of butter, (just a tiny dot) or even some wet food smeared on the mouth will work too.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

If you are concerned you can always put a dot of something soft on kitty's nose or mouth immediately after giving the capsule. This causes them to lick and swallow.
Excellent idea, thank you.

I'll send hubby out for plain yogurt today....( was reading that it may help with the medication induced upset digestive system tpp ).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Chris, for jogging my memory! There were a few posts around the same time as your original posts where I mentioned the testing and the old brain wasn't quite putting two and two together!

When we had to pill Hannah for so long, we gave her a cheese treat just before and immediately following the pilling. She loved that! The routine went something like cheese nibble, cheese nibble, half a pill, cheese nibble, the other half of the pill, cheese nibble, lovins, cheese nibble.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd update this thread:

We're one wk in with the meds and the kitties are showing some improvement.

Kizzy doesn't seem to have as many "sleepies" in his eyes, and the antibiotic is also helping clear up his chin acne.

Kiwi is sneezing less, and no green boogers.

This is definately going to be a long process but if it works and they are finally cleared up, I'll be happy.

I've placed a call into the vet about Kitchi, as he is now sneezing, some discharge and watery eyes. Hopefully I can just pick up antibiotics without the office call.

No surprise that Kitchi caught it....vet said it was highly contagious but not thru airborne droplets, thru grooming n' such....

Both kitties are tired of being pilled, and fight it when I have to pill them (vs hiding the pill in food).

The morning pill, I put some wet food on it and they'll eat it out of my hand. The evening pill I'll use a pill pocket for Kiwi, and a dental treat for Kizzy. It works 90% of the time.

It takes me 4 or 5 tries before I can successfully pill them now
Whether I use a pill popper or not, it doesn't matter....they still spit it out
The capsules sure do dissolve fairly fast eh. I've found if I fail once, I can't use the pill popper cuz the capsule is sticky from their saliva dissolving it.

I can't imagine those of you who have to do this regularly and ongoing.

gretamueller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 cats that had mycoplasma felis infections in October, but we had to give antibiotics to all 6 of our cats for 1 whole month. These guys are all rescued, and these pills would have been uncomfortable for me to swallow. However, after 4 days we were professionals and had gone from 5-10 minutes per cat (including finding them and multiple tries) to 5 minutes total for the evening ritual.

Here's how: after trying regular sliced ham, roast beef and liver pate to disguise the pill, all to no avail, we discovered pure muscle ham ( hope that's the right word, I'm in Sweden. Anyway the real kind, not the kind that has been processed). It got to the point that I could do it all by myself. And everyone got rewarded with another small piece of ham after they were good and swallowed the pill that was forced down their throat.

Also, the 2 who were the worst pill offenders got a special training exercise for a few days where I would pretend that all their treats were pills and shove them down their throat and after a while they finally understood that good things can happen when the mouths are forced open.

Now, unfortunately, the infection is back in one of them, so we have to start over, but at least it won't involve any more trauma now that everyone is used to it and the fridge is stocked with the good ham :)

Good luck to you!

9finecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat BooBoo has had mycoplasma felis for sometime. Nasal flushes give some relief but now he is taking a chewable doxycycline. (He is impossible to pill, I'm a vet tech and know all of the tricks). I am researching Ultranasal Fvrcp vaccine. Anyone know about it?