My 8 months old kitten has loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting a week after surgery

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby girl got neutered a week ago, everything was fine. For first few days she was tired, didn't want to move a lot but ate and drank normally. But today she threw up four times, two of them were just a bit and all fur and the last two were yellow and much more. She still drinks water but won't eat, sleeps a lot. Purrs and sleeps with me but doesn't want to play. Two days ago she got an antibiotic injection as a part of sterilisation. She had normal poops and pee for first four days but now she doesn't use litter box because she won't eat. I will take her to vet tomorrow morning but i am vorried a lot. Is this a sign of obstruction? I see no signs of infection around her wound. Please help, I'm so worried that she got hurt because I chose to sterilise a perfectly healthy cat. And now she is sick.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to take her to the vet. While I don't necessarily think there is an obstruction as a result of the spaying, there is something going on either related to the surgery or just coincidentally appearing at the same time. She has not eaten for at least a couple of days, so needs a vet to help her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had all of his vaccines. How can i understand if she has fewer? Sometimes her ears are cold, sometimes hot that's all I noticed

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you feel if she has a fever?
Is your cat up-to-date with the vaccines?
She had all of her vaccines, I don't know how to understand if she has fever. I touch her ears and they feel cold sometimes and other times they are hot.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ear feeling very warm or hot are a good indicator of fever.
Also, the nose, if dry and/or warm, can be an indication.

If you have a thermometer, you can use it... like vets do...

I think you should take her to a vet soon.

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ear feeling very warm or hot are a good indicator of fever.
Also, the nose, if dry and/or warm, can be an indication.

If you have a thermometer, you can use it... like vets do...

I think you should take her to a vet soon.
Her nose is wet as always, she grooms herself regularly. I will take her to vet first thing in the morning but i am really scared. I don't have a thermometer sadly. Should I do anything in case she has fever? Like wiping with wet cloth or something?

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to take her to the vet. While I don't necessarily think there is an obstruction as a result of the spaying, there is something going on either related to the surgery or just coincidentally appearing at the same time. She has not eaten for at least a couple of days, so needs a vet to help her.
Vet advised to give her vet food after operation but she can't eat them. I bottle fed her since she was a day old. She is sensitive to all wet foods. I have tried many different contents and brands but she always had diarrhea as a reaction. I asked about it and vet said its probably because she never got mother's milk. But dry food should be enough for nutrition and advised not feed her wet food because it causes diarrhea. I gave her cheese, boiled chicken (she loved these before) but she ate very small pieces.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't know.
I used the technique of cooling down a cat with a fever years ago, it seemed it helped him.
The fever is always the signal of the body fighting against an inflammation or infection, so I think that a visit is absolutely necessary.

I advise you to get a thermometer, it can be useful in the future both for you and your cat. They can be very cheap.
I paid €5 for mine, like this one

IMG_20220425_230136.jpg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheese isn't the best food for a cat.
You could try some baby food (I don't know how you call it in English, it's not my first language), just make sure it has no onion or lemon in it.

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheese isn't the best food for a cat.
You could try some baby food (I don't know how you call it in English, it's not my first language), just make sure it has no onion or lemon in it.
Yes I know cheese isn't very good. I just tried it because she loves it normally but didn't eat it this time. I already give her baby cat dry food but she can't have wet food because of allergy

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant human baby food, the type you feed baby humans when they are a few months old.
Ah i see. Actually I have some baby cat milk, I might try making her some to see if she likes that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, better than nothing.
I hope you can get an appointment today.
I'm in Italy, it's 11:10 pm here now, but it could still be office hours in your area.

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, better than nothing.
I hope you can get an appointment today.
I'm in Italy, it's 11:10 pm here now, but it could still be office hours in your area.
Ah i don't need an appointment. I live in Turkey, I can visit anytime I need after an operation as a policy. It's around midnight Here. They also work at nights but accept emergencies such as trauma.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think they can accept you now? Or do you wish to wait untill tomorrow morning?
Anyway, keep us posted 🤞

EDIT: I now pets are very much respected and regarded in Turkey.

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think they can accept you now? Or do you wish to wait untill tomorrow morning?
Anyway, keep us posted 🤞

EDIT: I now pets are very much respected and regarded in Turkey.
I wish i could go right now but I can't. They only accept major stuff like car crashes, fall from height, bleedings etc at night shifts. Vomiting isn't considered as an emergency (unless it's bloody) and I should wait until morning. I am a med student and I know how hard it is to work at nights. so I shouldn't go unless it's really an emergency.

And good news! She ate some dry food just now and her ears aren't hot. I will still take her to vet tomorrow to be sure but I feel relieved. Thank you for helping! Now I can finally sleep. I will update tomorrow

Hypatiaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to read that, and waiting for an update today 🤞
Things never go right :( my partner got sick suddenly and is currently on hospital. kitten seems to get better She started eating and climbing to windows, watching birds as always. I had to postpone the vet visit.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your partner, I hope he/she gets better soon and it's nothing serious.

Keep an eye on your kitty, feel her ears for any symptom of fever.
Get in touch with the vets who spayed her, and let them know.

All the best.