my 13 year old cat has bile duct obstruction

lauriet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat was healthy and in sept she came down with UTI took her to vet they did an x-ray and saw bladder stones. So she had a cystotomy to remove the stones and that went fine, had trouble getting her to eat after that and she was not feeling good and rook her back to the vet and they did ultrasound and her bile duct is blocked and is inflamed 5 times it normal size. The vet wants to do surgery but I want to see what else I can do to get the duct to open and drain. I have read that bile can sludge in cause blockage. Now remind you she had none of this before that bladder stones so I suspect this has something to do with that surgery, may a infection of some sort. anyway the Vet has her on prednisolone for inflamation and clavomox for any possible infection. she seemed better last night. Has anyone else had and experience with this and would like to share??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm bumping this up in case it just got missed.  I, personally, have no experience with this.

that she gets better and doesn't need more surgery

jcornman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a cat who had an inflamed gall bladder that had stopped him from eating.  Since it is part of the  same system I'm assuming that it is close to the same thing.  He got a couple of rounds of subcutaneous fluid and a couple of week course of prednisolone or maybe prednisone.  That was over a year ago and he's been fine ever since.  I'm hoping that what you've already done is enough to reduce the swelling and open the ducts up.

Keep an eye open for future bladder problems.  The only cat that I've had bladder stone with, die later from bladder cancer.  If I had become aware of it earlier we might have saved him.  Got him some new type of cancer med formulated specifically for him but it didn't have time to work before the cancer took him.  I would think another ultrasound in about 6 mo would be a good idea.  With only this one incidence to judge by I don't know if that was coincidence or cause and effect.

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this, but I'm wondering if digestive enzymes are being used for the time being? Something to ask your vet, especially if the stool is an unusual color.