Munchie's Transition

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i am using the boneless recipe with eggshells added to it for calcium.
OK, whew~  For a minute there I misinterpreted and thought you were saying he wasn't getting enough calcium when you said he wasn't eating very much bone at all. 

How is his diarrhea?  Better? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has semi formed but diarrhea if that makes sense.  I do grind the chicken but it is boneless as I don't have a grinder. 
I am doing the happy dance, hubby just okayed us to switch over DeeJay (she is 14 & 1/2 years old) to raw.  I wish I could switch the other 3 but for this recipe it would cost us over $50 a week which we just can not handle at the moment.  Maybe in a year or so when some of our other bills are paid down we can swing it.  But this will be my 3 sickliest critters on raw, so I am a bit excited about it as I have seen the benefits it has had for my chihuahua who had every diagnosis under the sun. 

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have a question.  I am starting DeeJay on raw tonight, and I added extra Taurine to Munchies food because of his heart condition.  Will that be harmful to DeeJay if she eats the same thing or do I need to make her separate meals?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excess taurine will be excreted. I give more than the recommended amount of taurine because I don't know if some will degrade in the freezing/thawing process.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight was bone in meal.  Cornish Hen.  He would take a bite into it and then feel the bone in his mouth and quit  :(  Which really surprises me as he loves cooked chicken bones he steals out of the garbage.  So I had to crush it up in my ninja, he still wouldn't eat so I mixed a teaspoon of canned in and he gobbled it up.  Where I am feeding him Dr. Pierson's recipe (boneless) how often should I feed him boney meals?  Once a week?  Twice a week?  Will he eventually get used to boney pieces?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now reading about Munchie. Sorry, not much to add, but I just love how Munchie is stuffing his face on raw without a second thought!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Tonight was bone in meal.  Cornish Hen.  He would take a bite into it and then feel the bone in his mouth and quit  :(  Which really surprises me as he loves cooked chicken bones he steals out of the garbage.  So I had to crush it up in my ninja, he still wouldn't eat so I mixed a teaspoon of canned in and he gobbled it up.  Where I am feeding him Dr. Pierson's recipe (boneless) how often should I feed him boney meals?  Once a week?  Twice a week?  Will he eventually get used to boney pieces?
Mine don't eat bone at all.  This is why I add in  Alnutrin with eggshell powder.  It's got all the supplements including calcium and all I have to do is scoop it out and add it to the meat and we're ready to go.  Then I don't have to worry about how much bone, what if they don't eat it, etc.  (and, honestly, I have no idea how to figure out HOW many boney pieces to feed, what size, etc. per week, but I know a lot of people DO feed that way and have no problem
. )  As to whether DeeJay will ever eat bones, I cannot say.  Try hitting the wings with a rubber mallot to break them up while they're still in the skin...that's what I've heard of people doing to help get them started.  

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I do is feed Ritz small pieces of bone with a fair amount of meat on them; in other words, the ratio to meat to bone is high (meat a lot, bone not a lot).
I feed bone from quail or rabbit about three times a week, around .60 ounces which includes meat on the bone. I feed the low end of bone @ 7% because Ritz tends to be constipated.
The first bone I gave Ritz was a part of a chicken wing, and she didn't eat it. So, I switched to quail and rabbit. I get both (frozen) from an international supermarket. I freeze the excess bone.
She would probably eat chicken wingette, but I need to feed her different kinds of white meat (she has some problems with red meat), so quail and rabbit meet that need. Expensive, though.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still going strong, Munchie is eating every meal all the way gone.  I posted an update in his health thread but he is doing INCREDIBLE, he's going down the stairs (which he has avoided for a very long time), he is more active, playful, not limping as much.  DeeJay is taking to raw really easily as well.  She has eaten all her meals all the way gone as well.  Yesterday she ate her dinner, then proceeded to eat half of my chihuahua's dinner as well.  So I think the transition for both of my crew are going to be super easy (knocking on wood), my only concern is Munchie with beef.  DeeJay had beef (Zoey's dinner) and was fine with it.  Here she is mad when my Chihuahua decided she better eat her meal before DeeJay ate it all LMBO

Here she is with it almost gone

Here she is chewing on a chunk of meat.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Munchie was 14.6# this morning.  Is that too fast?  He was 15.2# a week ago.  Do I need to increase his amount fed? 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've heard that a safe rate of weight loss is between 1 - 2% of their current body weight per week.  When it comes to percentages, I'm horrible, but IF I calculated it right, he's losing a little too fast.  (I used 1.5%, so he should be around 15 lbs now...again, IF I calculated correctly
.  One time my little piggy lost over an entire pound in two weeks and I freaked out
.  Luckily, nothing untoward happened to him, except he suddenly got to start eating more, for which he was eternally grateful 
.  But it scared the you know what out of me 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank-you.  I think I calculated wrong when I was figuring out how much to feed.  Now I calculate the 2.5% for his probably 12# optimal weight and get 4.8oz per day, and he's getting 4 oz per day, so I will increase what he's getting for now and see how his weight loss goes.  I was going to make up 2 weeks worth today but I think I will still with 1 week so I can accurately see how is weight loss is going to go for the next week.  Some of that weight loss could be water weight though as he was flushed out and has been on a diuretic.  Maybe I will go with about 4.4 oz per day and see how that goes for the next week?

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy do I not know how to calculate.  Just made a batch of cat food, got 28 of the 2.2oz baggies so that will feed both of my cats for $5.23 per week for just the chicken thighs.  I am a VERY happy mama, we can most likely (once all the canned and kibble for my one canned holdout is gone or my hubby will pitch an everliving fit due to finances) afford to feed all the cats raw.   Doing the happy dance. 

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So update on Munchie who has been eating raw for 2 weeks now.  The last couple of meals he won't finish unless I mix a little bit of canned in with them.  Not sure what is up.  Then DeeJay is being pretty finicky, one meal she'll eat the whole thing the next she needs canned mixed in, tonight she ate 3/4 of her meal then came in and ate my chihuahuas entire meal in like 2 seconds (before I could catch her).  Maybe that will teach my chihuahua she needs to quit being so picky and just eat when food is given to her.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So question.  Munchie usually pukes within minutes if I give him ground raw beef, we are talking miniscule pieces make him barf.  I just gave him a dime sized piece of a steak I was cooking raw and he hasn't puked it up.  Why would he puke regular ground but not a chunk?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You ground the beef yourself, didn't you? Store ground has more bacteria due to more surface area exposed to air for longer and isn't recommended.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah makes sense.  This makes me happy as this means I can feed him beef!  I grind myself, but in the past have dropped little pieces of store bought ground for my kitties when I'm portioning it out and it always makes him barf.  YAY!  I can give him more variety, not just chicken LOL.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also worth mentioning that chunks take longer to eat. Gadget inhales ground then vomits.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had a rough weekend, Munchie went 36 hours without eating, so I added some more water to his food and ground it up to liquify it and syringe fed him about 3oz yesterday.  He finally decided to start eating.  Although with this batch (2 weeks worth of food) I have noticed that both him and DeeJay need to have a little bit of canned food mixed in to encourage them to eat.  The only thing I did differently was tweaked the amount of supplements and added Manganese to it.  Not sure what is up.